Pocket Query Results should be in public Doc format

ametts

I wonder if the Groundspeak folks could offer Pocket Query results in a format other than MobiPocket ebook? I already have two document readers on my PalmPilot -- MobiPocket would be the third one, and it carries a hefty memory usage requirement.

My preference is TealDoc (www.tealpoint.com) -- however, I believe there is a "Public" doc format that is supported by most of the doc readers out there. Perhaps that would be the best option? The existing Query results format seems to be proprietary to MobiPocket -- I can see it, but I cannot open it in TealDoc.

Allan Metts -- Atlanta

quote:
Originally posted by ametts:

My preference is TealDoc (http://www.tealpoint.com) -- however, I believe there is a "Public" doc format that is supported by most of the doc readers out there.

TealDoc actually uses an enhanced version of the PalmDoc format. The main difference between the two is that TealDoc understands a small set of HTML-like commands that can be embedded in the document to create pictures, link buttons, and so forth.

Have you tried my converter yet? It translates the mobipocket documents created by geocaching.com into either plain text or a PalmDoc document with bookmarks for the individual caches. I've considered adding an option to generate TealDoc extensions, since I use TealDoc myself, but I've not gotten around to it yet.

warm.gif

quote:
Have you tried http://216.202.195.127/mobipocket.html yet? It translates the mobipocket documents created by geocaching.com into either plain text or a PalmDoc document with bookmarks for the individual caches.

I tried it and got a file back called that is unreadable by either the Palm Desktop import or by the Zip expander. From the instructions I was expecting a <*.zip> file with the name I had chosen.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

quote:
Have you tried http://216.202.195.127/mobipocket.html yet? It translates the mobipocket documents created by geocaching.com into either plain text or a PalmDoc document with bookmarks for the individual caches.

I tried it and got a file back called that is unreadable by either the Palm Desktop import or by the Zip expander. From the instructions I was expecting a <*.zip> file with the name I had chosen.

Try renaming it to mobipocket.zip and unzipping it. IE will automatically do that for you with the content-type that gets put on the results, but some other browsers don't.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Have you tried my converter yet?

Doh! I just posted a note related to this topic on another thread. I guess I'll have to check out the converter, and see how it works on my PDA. (I'm assuming that I'll have to use the text format, rather than the Palm, since my PDA has a Windows CE operating system.)

I'm curious how your method handles the encrypted hints? The old layout that I used had a convenient Hint link on each cache page that automatically decrypted the hint for you. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

Have you tried my converter yet?

Doh! I just posted a note related to this topic on another thread. I guess I'll have to check out the converter, and see how it works on my PDA. (I'm assuming that I'll have to use the text format, rather than the Palm, since my PDA has a Windows CE operating system.)

I'm curious how your method handles the encrypted hints? The old layout that I used had a convenient Hint link on each cache page that automatically decrypted the hint for you. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Short answer: it doesn't. I don't even think there's a bookmark entry for "Appendix 1." I need to put some work into that part of it.

However, even if there were a bookmark entry for Appendix 1, you still wouldn't be able to use it, because of course bookmarks aren't in the plain text format. You'll pretty much have to use your reader's search function to find the GCxxxx number you're interested in. Yeah, that sucks. Maybe when we get GPX we'll be able to make this stuff all work better.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Short answer: it doesn't. I don't even think there's a bookmark entry for "Appendix 1." I need to put some work into that part of it.

However, even if there were a bookmark entry for Appendix 1, you still wouldn't be able to use it, because of course bookmarks aren't in the plain text format. You'll pretty much have to use your reader's search function to find the GCxxxx number you're interested in. Yeah, that sucks. Maybe when we get GPX we'll be able to make this stuff all work better.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Boron:

I use a program called Teleport to download all or as much as I want of the net page.

But Teleport can't do any of the really cool stuff that pocket queries can. For example, you can't ask it to give you all of the 2/2 or above caches in the state of Ohio that contain travel bugs and that you haven't found yet.

Besides, people using tools like Teleport are why we don't have GPX yet - Jeremy's been spending all of his free time getting the site running quickly again despite all of the badly-behaved programs getting their data the hard way, and he has none left to give us the feature we really need to make the problem this thread is about go away. Teleport is worse than most, in fact, because one of its design goals is to minimize wait time and maximize bandwidth usage by opening multiple connections.

warm.gif

quote:

quote:

quote:

Try renaming it to mobipocket.zip and unzipping it. IE will automatically do that for you with the content-type that gets put on the results, but some other browsers don't.

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

Still doesn't unzip after renaming. Something about an "unknown zip header format." Same result using 3 different browsers including IE and a recent version expander.

quote:

Still doesn't unzip after renaming. Something about an "unknown zip header format." Same result using 3 different browsers including IE and a recent version expander.

Send me the file you're trying to convert and the file it sends back and I'll see if I can figure out what's broken. My email address is on the converter page.

warm.gif