Tsunami Evacuation Zones

I proposed this once before and the posts are in the archive section for those who wish to read those. However, I thought I would re-submit this idea with the hope that it would be re-considered.

What I am proposing is very specific. Some readers last time assumed I was talking about Tsunami Hazard Zones. I am NOT. <_<

I am speaking of Evacuation areas. The difference is that a dnager zone is basically any stretch of coastline.

Obviously, I don't need to know this is a potentially unsafe area in the even of a Tsunami. That should be obvious.

Also, where to go to get out of harm's way should be obvious. Way up high! B)

But I am proposing specific areas designated by local agencies as Evacuation Areas.

These areas are pre-determined, specific locations and are where agencies such as the Red Cross and other relief organizations will set up to assist those in need.

:)

Perhaps, but are outhouses, highway rest stops or free overnight RV locations (which are mostly Walmart parking lots) any more significant?

I'm trying to come up with something which is functional and somewhat informative. Although most areas are just parking lots, they are specific locations where emergency services will often stage.

If one is vacationing near a Tsunami zone, could it it not be useful to know ahead of time where the evacuation site is?

IMHO. :)

Perhaps, but are outhouses, highway rest stops or free overnight RV locations (which are mostly Walmart parking lots) any more significant?

I'm trying to come up with something which is functional and somewhat informative. Although most areas are just parking lots, they are specific locations where emergency services will often stage.

If one is vacationing near a Tsunami zone, could it it not be useful to know ahead of time where the evacuation site is?

IMHO. :)

Using other categories to justify another category is never a good idea, a category must stand on its own.

If I was on vacation near a Tsunami zone I probably would not look up Tsunami evacuation sites at all before time and if I received notification of an impending Tsunami I am not going to stop log into a computer to find one I am just going to go up away from coast. In the US these are found only in 3 states on the west coast, in Alaska where I have lived I don't think they have them even though they are in Tsunami zone people know just to head inland in up. I don't think they have them on the east coast at all.

Edited by BruceS

I think there would be a prevalence problem with these, but I don't know for sure.

My first thoughts when considering a category would be to consider whether there is a more inclusive (higher level) definition that could be used to make it more prevalent. In this case - I don't know I'm just guessing - maybe "designated disaster evactuation zones" which would thus include officially designated zones for volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, biblical plagues etc. (Just thinking aloud here ... may not be applicable in this case).

(Oh, and I agree with Bruce that the fact that there are some ... er, shall we say ... undistinguished existing categories shouldn't be used as a supporting argument for a new one).

I agree with BruceS and Team Sieni. Extending the idea to general (natural) disaster evacuation zones would help a bit, but I still wonder, why anyone should want to visit these places, except for icon hunting. I mean, there usually is nothing special, only a sign.

I've seen a lot of tsunami warning signs, and warning sirens (for which there is a category) - Oregon coast, Hawaii, and even the east coast of Korea - but, I a have never seen an identified evacuation site or area. The closest this comes is a map showing evacuation routes. The only thing one needs to know is: Go away from the ocean to higher ground!

I've seen a lot of tsunami warning signs, and warning sirens (for which there is a category) - Oregon coast, Hawaii, and even the east coast of Korea - but, I a have never seen an identified evacuation site or area. The closest this comes is a map showing evacuation routes. The only thing one needs to know is: Go away from the ocean to higher ground!

I can second that!

Here in Hawai`i every street leading away from the Ocean has a sign with "Evacuation Road" on it but no area for a "Safe Zone".

- Some are farther away than others depending on the terrain.