How should I do paperless caching now

Hello Fellow Geocachers, I do realize that geocaching made the change to the different maps and im fine with it and understand why they did that. This post is not about that just related. When I use to go caching I would have the caches uploaded to my gps and would use my phone using cgeo to use the map feature to go paperless caching. It would be really handy to navigate through streets to get to other caches. So im wondering with these new changes what do you guys do? Should I got back to printing the maps as I cant find a way to see the maps on my phone while im out geocaching? I was thinking of bringing my computer and using my phone as a 3g data receiver and using my computer as I go, but don't want to leave my computer in my car while im out finding caches or bring it with me finding caches. What do you guys do now?

-Cheers

I don't use maps when I'm caching. Or, seldom, at least, and when I do print them ahead of time, I find that I generally don't refer to them anyhow. I usually plan which caches and in what order before I leave home. Paperless caching, for me, is the ability to read the cache page and the recent logs.

I've started using GS's geo app since c:geo stopped working as it used to. I thought it was the bee's knees to start with but i've since found a few foibles with it, but it does the job almost as good as c:geo used to do it. At least now it's a purchased app there is some gravity gained regarding requesting updates etc. at least i hope!...

I use Garmin GPS60 CSX, GSAK and my android phone with GDAK (Gecachers Droid Army Knife). I pocket query the area I am caching in, download all the caches into GSAK, and then transfer the database to my 60CSX and my GDAK folder on my phone. GDAK will tell me all the caches nearby once I'm out in the field, it contains the listing, the hints if needed, and logs. I believe you can log your finds as well but I usually do that at home on my computer as I like the keyboard on my laptop better than the keyboard on my phone.

GDAK is free BTW. I also use C:geo sometimes to see listings that are just published, but I don't use the maps on my phone.

I use Garmin GPS60 CSX, GSAK and my android phone with GDAK (Gecachers Droid Army Knife). I pocket query the area I am caching in, download all the caches into GSAK, and then transfer the database to my 60CSX and my GDAK folder on my phone. GDAK will tell me all the caches nearby once I'm out in the field, it contains the listing, the hints if needed, and logs. I believe you can log your finds as well but I usually do that at home on my computer as I like the keyboard on my laptop better than the keyboard on my phone.

GDAK is free BTW. I also use C:geo sometimes to see listings that are just published, but I don't use the maps on my phone.

I already have it so that GSAK sends the container size, difficulty, gc code and the cache type to my gps, the only thing I would like more is to be able to use a map with the geocaches on it so I can navigate in a area that I have never been to more easily.

Hello Fellow Geocachers, I do realize that geocaching made the change to the different maps and im fine with it and understand why they did that. This post is not about that just related. When I use to go caching I would have the caches uploaded to my gps and would use my phone using cgeo to use the map feature to go paperless caching. It would be really handy to navigate through streets to get to other caches. So im wondering with these new changes what do you guys do? Should I got back to printing the maps as I cant find a way to see the maps on my phone while im out geocaching? I was thinking of bringing my computer and using my phone as a 3g data receiver and using my computer as I go, but don't want to leave my computer in my car while im out finding caches or bring it with me finding caches. What do you guys do now?

-Cheers

Since you say you were using c:geo, that implies you have an ANDROID phone, yes.

Do you not have Google Maps on it?

-Cheers

Since you say you were using c:geo, that implies you have an ANDROID phone, yes.

Yes I do but they don't show where the caches are

-Cheers

Yes I do but they don't show where the caches are

If you get an app like NeonGeo or CacheSense for android then they will show you Google maps with the caches on them.

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. What you need to do..Not as cool as before but stop somewhere and go into C:geo and click on nearby. It will bring up the nearest 20 caches. If needed go to the bottom and click it again and it will bring up the nearest 40 caches and so on to what you think you need. Then click on the 4 boxes and hit MAP. It will bring it up like you are used to and have them all there for you. Not as cool as it used to be while driving down the freeway but still will work cool. I am missing this feature as it used to be but am beginning to adapt. Wish it could go back to how it was but this is the best way I have found so far. Hope it helps.

-WarNinjas

-Cheers

I just load em on my oregon 550T

I already have it so that GSAK sends the container size, difficulty, gc code and the cache type to my gps, the only thing I would like more is to be able to use a map with the geocaches on it so I can navigate in a area that I have never been to more easily.

I have 4 different maps I choose from to display the all the caches (normaly 1,000 for me) on in my GPS.

...and I can navigate on or off road with any of them.

Edited by Totem Clan

I had my Oregon 450 for two years before getting my first smart phone. I've got detailed road maps for the entire US stored on the SD card. I still use the GPS for navigation on road to the cache and then off road once I have parked. I got a smart phone in January, but I still cache this way. Just add the maps to your GPS and you are all set.

I had my Oregon 450 for two years before getting my first smart phone. I've got detailed road maps for the entire US stored on the SD card. I still use the GPS for navigation on road to the cache and then off road once I have parked. I got a smart phone in January, but I still cache this way. Just add the maps to your GPS and you are all set.

When I bought my GPS it was 450 at the time and the maps to buy were another 100, was not willing to spend 100 more for maps, is there somewhere you can get maps for free? I have a garmin 60csx

When I bought my GPS it was 450 at the time and the maps to buy were another 100, was not willing to spend 100 more for maps, is there somewhere you can get maps for free? I have a garmin 60csx

www.GPSFileDepot.com

You should be able to load them into your GPS using Garmin Base Camp. Not sure how well it does for cutting up larger maps, as my unit can accomodate several full states (with topo, etc.)

I posted our paperless evolution elsewhere but I'll put it here as well.

Our " paperless" evolution :

1. Enter co-ords manually for each cache ( two units- Magellan Platinum ) and bring phone book size stack of print-outs.

2.Loaded caches into two units by computer and brought phone book size stack of print-outs.

3.Computer loading of caches in to two units and also in to 2 Palm M500 PDA's.

4. Same as 3 but upgraded to two Sony Clie' PJ25's and bought GSAK......bought 2 additional PJ25's for backup.

5. Added a Nuvi 780 to 4 above.

6. Bought Oregon 450 ( able to upload to computer )...load 2 Platinums as well but discontinued PDA's.

7. Purchased 62S and 2 additional 780's as backup and ability to bracket a caching area.

8. Current = GSAK loads a 62S, Oregon 450, Magellan Platinum ( or 60 CSx ),and between 1 and 3 Nuvi 780's ( depending on mission )