New Sig Item

As was trying to think about a nice yet differnt sig item I could starting leaving in caches. As some of you know I'm ex-SF sniper. So here's my idea but I don't know it would be a good idea or maybe over the top.

I want to get a bunch a spent .762 mm casing. They are the same ones from an M-24 sniper rifle like the one a use to carry. On the side I would have engraved my caching name and maybe a number. Maybe even some little saying.

Yes, No, Maybe?

Haven't seen one of these threads in a while. Quite a few a while back, so it seemed.

As a sig item, I see no problem. You know, I know and many others know that a spent cartridge is, well.... inert, so to speak. Certainly it is harmless.

However, there are other folk that don't know. Too, there are some that just plain find anything to do with a firearm as (for lack of a better term) disgusting.

I think your idea is fine. Better yet, (dunno how much you want to spend on them) if they were clean, chrome plated and super shiny, they could gather a fair following. A hole through, near the case head with a split-ring inserted. I'd go for it.

I'd love a 105mm casing..... am I dating myself?

I find spent casings in caches from time-to-time.

Considering the amount of brass left lying around the Arizona desert by careless target shooters, I usually consider them about as much a 'trade item' as any rock found lying about.

Unless yours are very eye-catching, I'd bet they would simply be discarded as useless junk.

The idea of a spent casing as a sig item isn't bad, you just need to make me look at it and notice it's a sig item.

EDITED FOR SPEELING

Edited by AZcachemeister
Better yet, (dunno how much you want to spend on them) if they were clean, chrome plated and super shiny, they could gather a fair following. A hole through, near the case head with a split-ring inserted. I'd go for it.

^ This. Design it so that the finder's reaction is, "Cool, a sig keychain! What is it?", NOT "Where's the sniper?".

I have one of those! I found it in a field in Germany while doing some military training years ago. It's steel, marked "M148A1B1", no date, 2 feet long. Maybe I'll make a sig keychain out of it! :P

Edited by kunarion

Haven't seen one of these threads in a while. Quite a few a while back, so it seemed.

As a sig item, I see no problem. You know, I know and many others know that a spent cartridge is, well.... inert, so to speak. Certainly it is harmless.

However, there are other folk that don't know. Too, there are some that just plain find anything to do with a firearm as (for lack of a better term) disgusting.

I think your idea is fine. Better yet, (dunno how much you want to spend on them) if they were clean, chrome plated and super shiny, they could gather a fair following. A hole through, near the case head with a split-ring inserted. I'd go for it.

:laughing:

I have a Soviet 210, 155, and two 105 casings. The 210 has been worked and has a very beautiful hand tooled design all the way around it. We use it as an unbrella holder.

Every casing would be one that I fired from my Model 700. I'm a gunsmith by trade now, so I would clean the brass to a high shine before using it. I was thinking of even punching the spent primer. There is a man in the next town over that does the brass work for some of the firearms I have worked on, he could engrave them for me so they would look a very professionally done.

Better yet, (dunno how much you want to spend on them) if they were clean, chrome plated and super shiny, they could gather a fair following. A hole through, near the case head with a split-ring inserted. I'd go for it.

^ This. Design it so that the finder's reaction is, "Cool, a sig keychain! What is it?", NOT "Where's the sniper?".

I have one of those! I found it in a field in Germany while doing some military training years ago. Maybe I'll make a sig keychain out of it! :P

I could leave the primer in place and drill a hole through and through on the side of the body of the casing just above the head.

Edit: and run a ball chain through it.

Edited by Totem Clan

I'm not so sure this is a good idea since once my son (G.I.Jared) sees a sig item like that I will never hear the end of his requests to make his own just like it! :rolleyes:

He would love to find a sig item like that in a cache!

I'm sure I'll be in your area for an event or two in future. If I do it, I'll see that he gets one from my hand.

I want to get a bunch a spent .762 mm casing. They are the same ones from an M-24 sniper rifle like the one a use to carry. On the side I would have engraved my caching name and maybe a number. Maybe even some little saying.
I would trade for a sig item like that in a heartbeat.

As far as what else to engrave besides your geocaching handle, I've seen sig items with the current year, with the year the person started geocaching, and with random tracking numbers. I write the GCxxxxx code of the cache I just found on my sig tokens, but that isn't something you'd engrave.

I would trade for a sig item like that in a heartbeat.

As far as what else to engrave besides your geocaching handle, I've seen sig items with the current year, with the year the person started geocaching, and with random tracking numbers. I write the GCxxxxx code of the cache I just found on my sig tokens, but that isn't something you'd engrave.

Yes he has some that are tracked with what use to be sigitem.com but now are individual websites. niraD maybe you can explain better how they can do it. Oops see they got the site back.

Edited by jellis

Well you did ask for our opinions. Personally I would not like to see something like that in a cache, but that's just me.

[Not trying to start a debate here so nobody jump on this.]

Since you said that, may I ask why? I'm honestly trying to figure out what folks would think of this idea and why.

Edited by Totem Clan

I found a cache once that was a mini bison stuck inside a used shotgun shell. I actually found it about 30' from where it was supposed to be located. I ran into the CO at the trailhead of the cache and told her where I found it and assume she put it back where it was supposed to go. Someone had apparently picked it up and tossed it away.

Well you did ask for our opinions. Personally I would not like to see something like that in a cache, but that's just me.

Since you said that, may I ask why? I'm honestly trying to figure out what folks would think of this idea and why.

I think it's cool, more so for some. As said, if you added something to make it more yours and not like someone just dropped a casing into a cache, would make it more of a collectible or trade worthy.

I like it a lot.

With your caching name being totem clan, would I be wildly off to suggest making each Sig item as part of a set with stacks? Each segment could have an engraved totem design for different members of your clan different caching years, or regions, or types of cache. Collect one of each for a set which stacks.

I don't know a lot about ammo, but my only slight concern with the casings is if kids try to refill them and reuse them. (Yes, I know how silly that sounds) If there's a good hole through it, no worries.

I like it a lot.

With your caching name being totem clan, would I be wildly off to suggest making each Sig item as part of a set with stacks? Each segment could have an engraved totem design for different members of your clan different caching years, or regions, or types of cache. Collect one of each for a set which stacks.

I don't know a lot about ammo, but my only slight concern with the casings is if kids try to refill them and reuse them. (Yes, I know how silly that sounds) If there's a good hole through it, no worries.

Short of having a reloading set up there is no way to reuse the casing. The equipment is very specialized. It's not something even the average gun owner or hunter would have.

I have the gear because it's my job now.

Also if I drill a hole to make it a key chain there is no way it could ever be used again.

I found a cache once that was a mini bison stuck inside a used shotgun shell. I actually found it about 30' from where it was supposed to be located. I ran into the CO at the trailhead of the cache and told her where I found it and assume she put it back where it was supposed to go. Someone had apparently picked it up and tossed it away.

I CITOed a cache like that. The difficulty level was set very low, like 1 or 1.5, so I wasn't expect it to be camouflaged. Also, in the cache description the CO talked about CITOing the area.

I like it a lot.

I'm part Comanche. My uncle named me 'Little Wolf' as a boy. Later he changed it to just 'Wolf' or Isa.

The family and I started caching in Alaska. Each of us have a totem animal. So 'Totem Clan' became our caching name.

I am 'Wolf'

My wife is 'Big Bear'

The kids are 'Little Bear,' 'Otter,' and 'Coyote.'

The sig item would be just for me as they now have their own accounts as well. However I could see putting the different symbols or tracks on them.

Here a pic of an old sig item for the whole clan.

791d48cb-8342-4c43-af0e-d5c1a20fcc83.jpg

The center is a tatoo that my wife and I both have.

Edited by Totem Clan

Sounds like a nice idea to me however.... In some locations it might not be the best idea. I live in Massachusetts where gun laws are rather strict. I believe it is technically illegal to have spent brass with you unless you have an FID (firearms identification) card.

Sounds like a nice idea to me however.... In some locations it might not be the best idea. I live in Massachusetts where gun laws are rather strict. I believe it is technically illegal to have spent brass with you unless you have an FID (firearms identification) card.

Wow. That is a strict law. Even in Canada, where we have very strict firearms regulations, spent brass is not an issue in terms of possession.

Wow. That is a strict law. Even in Canada, where we have very strict firearms regulations, spent brass is not an issue in terms of possession.

:unsure:

I was thinking the same thing. :blink:

I would certainly enjoy finding one, especially if it were made into a key ring or some such. I would suggest polishing them and shooting some Spar on them to prevent corrosion. Chrome plating would be neat but IMHO too expensive, polish and varnish would look as good and be a lot cheaper.

I think they would make nice trade items. I have one that I made into a key chain. I pressed out the primer on a nickle plated winchester supreme casing and pressed in a 168 grain Nosler b/t. Inside the case is a folded up kill tag from a nice non typicial I took this last season. I drilled out the primer pocket and used a hair pin and epoxy, then a key ring. I made this one for myself, but I have also made some for trade using the 7.62x54R rounds from my Nagants, and I have found similar items in geocaches. But we are a gun friendly family of hunters, and I don't trust people that don't trust me being armed. I'm not a criminal. :laughing: Why not use a H&K 7.62 casing with futed chamber marks? Remember up or even when trading.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

Just a gun thing, I think. When you also said 'sniper' the first thing that comes to mind is people getting shot. Not a warm and fuzzy image for me.

Along with a few standard bullet-type (two piece) Fisher Space pens, I have one that appears to be a spent bullet - a .338 cartridge pen.

I believe you can still find them today.

Curious if I could get busted for having a pen in my posession in some States. :huh:

- Our tax dollars at work.

I would like to see your idea as a sig item.

I've certainly had no problem finding shell casings in some desert settings. I think some people were pulling off the road there just to shoot anything for target practice. Couldn't believe they didn't keep their casings, but to each his own.

Even if you don't reuse the brass, I consider that littering as sure as thorwn down wrappers or plastic bottles. I've never understood it.

I've certainly had no problem finding shell casings in some desert settings. I think some people were pulling off the road there just to shoot anything for target practice. Couldn't believe they didn't keep their casings, but to each his own.

Even if you don't reuse the brass, I consider that littering as sure as thorwn down wrappers or plastic bottles. I've never understood it.

It's worse than ordinary littering, it's copper, which is toxic to many plants. The desert is a tough enough environment without leaving this stuff laying around.

It's worse than ordinary littering, it's copper, which is toxic to many plants. The desert is a tough enough environment without leaving this stuff laying around.

Copper is worth a lot, it has good scrap value...Why aren't people collecting it and selling it all?!

Copper is worth a lot, it has good scrap value...Why aren't people collecting it and selling it all?!

It's actually brass, which if I am not mistaken is worth even more than copper.

People are lazy. I pick up all my brass because I reload it, but a lot of folks don't and are lazy/litterbugs and just leave it.

Edit: in some of the common target shooting areas around here, there is a guy that goes around and picks up all the brass he can get his hands on, just for the reason of selling it.

Interesting old man, kinda... quirky, but making a buck or two doing what others wont do, and cleaning the place up at the same time. A lot of people don't like him because he looks to be a homeless person, but he drives his old car out there every weekend, and he makes sure to ask if you are picking up your brass, and he will offer to help you pick it up and give it to you, or keep it if you don't want it.

Edited by Hasty Javelinas

People are lazy. I pick up all my brass because I reload it, but a lot of folks don't and are lazy/litterbugs and just leave it.

Thanks for the correction. (Copper is in brass though. :P)

I'd be driving around picking up what the fools left behind on the ground if I lived anywhere near there. :laughing:

Edited by Fianccetto

I'd be driving around picking up what the fools left behind if I lived anywhere near there. :laughing:

Heh - see my edit on the post of mine you just quoted :)

I'd be driving around picking up what the fools left behind if I lived anywhere near there. :laughing:

Heh - see my edit on the post of mine you just quoted :)

Sounds like a nice guy, and he's doing the planet a favour as there is only so much of these metals in the ground, good to reuse where we all can. :)

Plus, if you collect enough of them you can melt them down and make a tuba.

I think it would be a great idea. My 2 cents; why not make them trackable? You could buy Tb's and engrave the number (spending $5-$7 each) or just buy the numbers off Groundspeak. They are $75 for 50 trackable numbers. if you did that you could custum name them and have a custom picture for trackables. THAT would be really cool.

It is indeed illegal to possess spent brass in MA if you don't have a FOID card, but I think it's pretty unclear as to whether or not spent brass that has been turned into something else counts as an ammo component or not.

Plus, if you collect enough of them you can melt them down and make a tuba.

Or a Sousaphone!

I don't think it's any big secret that I lean pretty hard to the left and I can't imagine seeing anything wrong with this kind of sig item- no more than I have an issue with hiding ammo cans in the woods. I think it's a great idea.