UK county map (amongst other things) in your profile/stats

Bean & Sprout

I've seen several profiles where cachers have various different info on their stats page that doesn't come as standard.

I have managed to find a website that allows you to generate various info, including which UK counties you've cached in, but it involved making a pocket query, uploading stuff, generating the stats, copying it into your profile etc etc.

I have managed to do it but you have to redo this every time you find new caches and it seems a waste of time and effort that I could better spend caching! I admit to not being too techie minded so it's a big hassle to me and most of the time it doesn't seem to work for me anyhow!

How would I go about suggesting to Groundspeak they offer this kind of thing as an option you can add to your profile as a premium member? There seems to be a lot of cachers who add this type of thing in one form or another to their profile so why not offer it as part of the premium options?

There seems to be many other things people add to their profiles using outside websites to generate them - achievement badges, jasmer challange, US states cached in, UK counties cached in etc.

Surely Groundspeak could offer these to the premium members as part of the package and give you some tick boxes for the extra things you'd like to show (or not) on your profile...?

I use the same website as you. It's not that much effort. After you set it up (which you have), when you get some new finds, all you do is download the new pocket query and upload it to the website, which takes about 2 minutes. I only re-upload every week or fortnight depending on how much I cache, so not much effort really. You don't need to copy and paste the html coding each time, just refresh your browser to clear the data cache once you've uploaded the new PQ to the website. But I do agree that adding the official GS statistics to your profile page would be a good option. Also, GS tend not to recognise things like Jasmer and FTFs, so I wouldn't count on them appearing, but you never know :anitongue:

Edit for bad grammar :rolleyes:

Edited by Two Ton Whale

What is GSAK? WOuld be more helpful to give some info or a link or something!

And why should weneed to use an outside product at all?

As I said lots of cachers add stuff to their profiles like this...

If there is demand for it then surely it would be better to add it as part of premium membership.

Give the users what they want...

I think Groundspeak should stick to unambiguous items that can easily be derived from the cache page with no additional tweaking. Many caches do not include county names in their listing. If I remember correctly there was major discussion and dissension when county boundaries are. First to finds are ambiguous and not tracked on site. Badges vary from site to site and cacher to cacher. If I want more extensive stats than those included I will add exactly what I want myself. I would like site programing time to go to more important issues that are on the agenda. These include implementing the new gpx file format to include favorites, nano cache size, etc., tweaking new maps, and revising pq criteria. I guess my feeling is just the opposite of yours. Why should scarce lackey hours be devoted to projects when there is already a viable solution even if it is provided by a third party.

The website you got your stats from (and the same site i use) is now owned by Groundspeak.... And they have started to move some of the functionality over to gc.com..... Premium Members get some of these statisics by default now (click on the statistics tab on your profile) just hope they get their a**es in to gear and get more stats moved over...