Where can I get a cheap Lock and Lock?

You can find off-brand containers for pretty cheap lots of places. If you want Lock'n'lock brand, you just have to wait until there's a sale somewhere.

Just so's ya know, the off-brand containers tend to not last nearly as long as the real thing. That whole "you get what you pay for" thing...

JC Penney has sets for $20 everyday. The best everyday price you I can find. They usually have the sets in store or you can order them online. Price including tax ends up being less than $3 a container depending on which set you get. Each set inclues small to Medium/large containers so they allow for a nice variety of hides. Also, keep an eye out on Woot where in the last year they have had sets of LnL's for great prices. They come up randomly though so check everyday if you are interested. Edited by slukster

these make good cache containers.

Hidden just right, it's pretty low maintenance, and can last for a long time.

:)

They are, generally, the best containers going for our pastime. However, they ain't cheap and are not always appropriate for every location.

Yes, I'm using a lock and lock to replace an ammo can. I have 3 ammo cans in my closet at the moment, but why replace an ammo can if it's just going to get stolen again?

I don't want to throw more money away, but it's my best cache I've hidden. It's a catch 22, so I think a lock and lock would be a great middle-ground.

I need to find a single one. Not a whole set. I am having trouble...

In that case you are probably out of luck if $3 is your price point. My local Pathmark grocery store has them but the smallest one starts at around $5. I don't know any store that sells the real LnL's individually for around $3

these make good cache containers.

Hidden just right, it's pretty low maintenance, and can last for a long time.

:)

They are, generally, the best containers going for our pastime. However, they ain't cheap and are not always appropriate for every location.

Yes, I'm using a lock and lock to replace an ammo can. I have 3 ammo cans in my closet at the moment, but why replace an ammo can if it's just going to get stolen again?

I don't want to throw more money away, but it's my best cache I've hidden. It's a catch 22, so I think a lock and lock would be a great middle-ground.

Check Walmart. They sell single containers. However if you want something the size of an ammo can you're not going to get one for $3 or under. But if you want a water tight container with tabs that'll stay on you really want to buy an authentic Lock & Lock and not the dollar store variety. Look for the Lock & Lock logo embossed into the plastic:

6957564443_505726f33c.jpg

I have gotten sets of 16 or 20 for $20 I believe. (on sale) Makes me wonder when I find a container that is not water tight. I feel it is better to spend another $1 or two to have a container that you wont have to drive out to fix. Time and gas will save you in the long run. I have also had good luck with the costco ones that are not real lock n locks. about $1 each. If you just want the one im not sure where to find it.

-WarNinjas

They were in our local Nob Hill grocery, but now are replaced with knock-offs. About the only place I get them, without driving 40 miles to Wally World, is when woot.com has a sale.

Keep an eye on http://deals.woot.com/ . The Lock & Lock 32-Piece Food Storage Container Set

has shown up a few times over the last several months.

Here is a better picture of the set.

It looks like the set is available in at least a couple of places for about the $20 price.

If you have an Aldis store near you, this is the BEST low-priced lock'n'lock knockoff container that I have found. You can get a 3 container set for just $4. See here:

Aldi's Sealtites

I've also used the Rubbermaid brand locking style container with very good results, but they cost about the same as official Lock'n'locks. See here:

Rubbermaid Lock-Its

medoug.

Edited by medoug

If you're okay with buying in bulk you can get an entire box of different sizes and shapes from Costco either in Canada or the United States for a couple dollars a piece!

All I see at CostCo is the SnapWare brand. No idea how well they hold up, compared to L&L.

FWIW, I've seen quite a bit of criticism of the dollar store knock offs, but find they do hold up pretty well, as long as they are in a sheltered spot. In the open sun, almost all plastic has a short life expectancy.

If you're okay with buying in bulk you can get an entire box of different sizes and shapes from Costco either in Canada or the United States for a couple dollars a piece!

All I see at CostCo is the SnapWare brand. No idea how well they hold up, compared to L&L.

FWIW, I've seen quite a bit of criticism of the dollar store knock offs, but find they do hold up pretty well, as long as they are in a sheltered spot. In the open sun, almost all plastic has a short life expectancy.

Nearly any container will hold up as long as it's in a sheltered spot. I've seen the Snapware and it's similar to Rubbermaid, Sterlite and dollar store brands in that the latch hooks under the rim. Unlike Lock n Lock where a tab goes through the latch. I find that works better. Faberware containers have the same latch/tab design as Lock n Locks.

You can get (9) lock & lock containers of various sizes here for $18 dollars delivered, today only. I like the ones with the clear lids.

Edit: Just checked back. Clear lids are gone. :(

Yep, clear lids are gone, just got my set with purple lids. Woot!

My cost was $19.70 delivered, tho. Not a big diff.

Edited by hydnsek