Option to hide 'find number' - new feature

Frog Man

I would like a new option added to the profile page – that is the option to hide ‘found numbers’. I am not in this to build up my found number – if it was money – well, maybe then! To just have a number next to my Id saying I was ‘hot’, just doesn’t turn me on. I would just ignore the number, but it seems, as I get higher on the chart (my friends as well), the ‘cache police’ start coming out of the cracks. These ‘cache police’ always seem to have high numbers – it seems to me that they become more concerned about the ‘rearview mirror’ as we get closer. By hiding my numbers, they might be able to settle down and enjoy the ‘search’ instead of their immortality!

I hate to say this but..........I almost like this idea.

I know there's something in the back of my mind saying no to this idea but I'm not sure why.

If nothing else you have me thinking.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
I would just ignore the number, but it seems, as I get higher on the chart (my friends as well), the ‘cache police’ start coming out of the cracks. These ‘cache police’ always seem to have high numbers – it seems to me that they become more concerned about the ‘rearview mirror’ as we get closer.

Personally, I don't give a rats patootie what others think about my number of finds.

But I'm also wondering what you mean by cache police. What are you doing that is attracting the attention of others? The only instances I've seen what you call the "cache police" step in, is when someone starts racking up finds but there is no evidence of their visiting the caches in the log books, or they log finds when they didn't actually find the cache.

If you aren't doing any this, then what are you worried about? Have fun and ignore them.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

‘Cache Police’ is a forum term I noticed used to refer to cachers who police other cachers’ actions. I have to agree with others that policing should be left up to the powers to be, not to someone who doesn’t like what someone does.

This feature would just give cachers the option to remove themselves from the completion that seems to be forming around this ‘found number’. I found 8 the other day and I was asked if the reason was to jack up my numbers – not!

As far as Dan’s list, I would say it just didn’t show up on the individual user stats pages. I certainly wouldn’t want take away from other stats.

quote:
This feature would just give cachers the option to remove themselves from the completion that seems to be forming around this ‘found number’. I found 8 the other day and I was asked if the reason was to jack up my numbers – not!

If you aren't doing anything wrong, why would you give a hoot what anybody else says?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Find numbers are handy for evaluation comments. For example. "I was skunked on this cache" with a finder with 3 finds doesn't concern me but if a person wiht 100 finds is skunked I'd wonder if I need to check up on my finds.

Plus someone with 300 finds should pretty much have learned to quit whining and geo policing. (Though sometimes it's a courtesy)

I like the number and would have them visible. Heck if they do implement the "hide my numbers" option then I want the "only make this cache available to those who display their numbers option" so I can keep on seeing them.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I personally don't care if someone looks at my find/hidden or any other numbers concerning geocaching. I too find it useful if someone logs a not found on one of my caches. If they are someone just starting out I will probably ignore it, unless there are more not founds later - then I'll go check on the cache. If someone logs a not found and they are an experienced geocacher, I will go check on the cache much quicker, except if it's one that is hidden really good and I know they are flying through town getting all the new ones that have shown up since the last time.

BTW, I've found 10-12 caches in one day several times and other cachers in the area have done 25-30 in one day, so I would ignore any remarks that someone might make about 'jacking up my numbers'. If I have a good day and can get an early start and not get back until late evening in an area that has a lot of caches that I haven't found, then there's no problem finding a lot in one day. My only problem is spending a long time trying to find a well hidden cache when I should give up and come back to it another day and just go on to the next one.

I think I'd hide mine. Not only that, I'd prefer to show only the finds from the past couple of months, or the last 50 finds, something like that.

I've got past the numbers thing. I'm tired of numbers. I don't care about numbers, anymore. The only reason we log is to keep track of the caches we've done.

I know this is a departure from what I used to say, but at this point in the game, I really don't care.

To me, this number count, and judging others by it, is bogus. Who really cares that you have 1000+ finds, if they are all virts, rev virts, or 1/1's? Does that make you better that someone who only goes after 4/4 and above? I think not.

The only thing I think the numbers are good for is what has already been mentioned, to determine the "experience" of the cacher. But even then, that is not accurate as I've had a DNF on a cache from a cacher with many more finds than us, yet much "lesser" cachers found it with little problem.

No, I think far too many people view find count as a status symbol. Thing is, it has nothing to do with how good of a cacher you are.

If implemented, I'd be hiding mine.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Find numbers are handy for evaluation comments. For example. "I was skunked on this cache" with a finder with 3 finds doesn't concern me but if a person wiht 100 finds is skunked I'd wonder if I need to check up on my finds (hides).

I'm with RN on this one. I find the counts to be useful exactly for the same reason he stated.

Frog, no one was policing you. Brainee was joking with you! We all have our opinions, They will never match. What you consider a find might be different from what I consider a find. WHO CARES? This is just a game, sport or hobbie. It doesn't have to offend or cause enemies. You by-passed the goal of the cache, how would that make you feel if it was yours? He made a joke about it but you took it personally. No need my friend, we don't have a lot of members in our area. The ones we do have need to get along, have fun, and spread the word. I have had to ask a find to be removed from one of mine. My multi, they found the first but didn't find the main cache but logged it as a find, I didn't agree and they changed it. I have another one that some people don't log the no find, well I like to have to whole history of the cache but if they don't want to log the DNF thats their choice. I don't agree with it but does it really matter? Nope. This post isn't meant to offend you, I just think this is all a misunderstanding. See ya on the trails....Jerry

Rino 110

MeriGreen 128

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
Find numbers are handy for evaluation comments. For example. "I was skunked on this cache" with a finder with 3 finds doesn't concern me but if a person wiht 100 finds is skunked I'd wonder if I need to check up on my finds (hides).

I'm with RN on this one. I find the counts to be useful exactly for the same reason he stated.

The problem with that is, as an example, I got skunked on my second cache hunt, but since the counts update with the cache page, my log now suggests I had 115 finds when that happened. If you know the count is fresh, it's useful for this, but you can't always know whether it is. It's for this reason that I wanted the counts on the logs to stay static, though other problems would likely have arisen.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

The problem with that is, as an example, I got skunked on my second cache hunt, but since the counts update with the cache page, my log now suggests I had 115 finds when that happened. If you know the count is fresh, it's useful for this, but you can't always know whether it is. It's for this reason that I wanted the counts on the logs to stay static, though other problems would likely have arisen.

Unless you logged 113 caches within a day or 2 after getting skunked on #2, AND someone else also posts a log on your #2 after you, this isn't a problem. They were refering to using that info as cache owners, to evaluate if there is a problem with the cache they own. As soon as you posted your log, they got emailed about it, so they know how many find you have at that time.

I'll carry it a few steps further.

AS THE CACHE OWNER:

If I saw you had 115 finds, and logged a DNF on my 1.5/1.5 cache, I would disable it on the spot until I could run out there and check it.

If I saw you had 15 finds, I would probably email you and ask you some questions to see if it you were in the right area. Maybe offer some hints on where to look when you go back. Depending on your answers, I may or may not go check on the cache.

If I saw you had 2 finds, I would ask questions to see if you were even in the general area. If you seemed far off, I might ask if you entered the waypoint right, used the right map datum, etc.

I might offer to meet you near my cache and do it with you. If you were uncomfortable with that, I would offer more hints and clues then I did the guy with 15 finds.

So yes, the numbers matter, and are often put to good use.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Exactly Mopar. I have a cache in Vt. It got two Not Founds. The first person had one find and the second had 3, so I pretty much ignored them. Then I got a not found from someone with over 100 finds. That to me was a red flag, so I disabled the cache and will be checking on it this weekend.

quote:
The first person had one find and the second had 3, so I pretty much ignored them. Then I got a not found from someone with over 100 finds. That to me was a red flag, so I disabled the cache and will be checking on it this weekend.

It will be interesting to see the outcome. If the cache is there, it would suggest that 100 finds is no measure of "experience" because that cacher had no more luck than the first two. If it is indeed gone, two cachers looked for a cache that wasn't there because someone with one find doesn't have the "credibility" to determine the cache is gone.

I have way less than 100 finds, so don't take me seriously. icon_biggrin.gif

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

Also, It would be difficult to hide the found number without disabling the "caches found by this user" option. Perhaps a "last ten found by this user" would work, but it seems like hiding the found count would be pretty involved if you had to change that other stuff as well. But, I don't know the first thing about building websites. It could be a snap.

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

quote:
It will be interesting to see the outcome. If the cache is there, it would suggest that 100 finds is no measure of "experience" because that cacher had no more luck than the first two. If it is indeed gone, two cachers looked for a cache that wasn't there because someone with one find doesn't have the "credibility" to determine the cache is gone.

Actually, I know for a fact at least one of the two novices was looking in the wrong place.

Perhaps, once you get past a few finds, say 25, then you should have enough experience to know if you're operating the GPS correctly and interpreting the clues reasonably well.

If the find count was hidden and the caches found list was limited to just the first page, then you should be able to determine the cacher's experience well enough to know your course of action.

On the other hand, it might be prudent to always show caches that person has found that you own.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

They were refering to using that info as cache owners, to evaluate if there is a problem with the cache they own.

Yes, that I can see. I was remembering back when the change in cache pages was being discussed, many said they used the count when planning on searching for a cache, to determine how hard it might be to find. That's the usage I was talking about. Looking back, I see Brian was referring to hides.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on May 14, 2003 at 06:31 AM.]