New here with a question!

Woodrivertroutbum

Just a quick one. I just started geocaching and my girlfriend will be doing it with me. She also created a name here but I am wondering if it is important to have 2 paid memberships right now? I am out of work for a bit so I would rather not spend twice as much right now but there are a couple paid member only caches. Should I just note that she found it with me in the log and then when we upgrade her account, update the find on here at that time? Thank you!

WRTB and MinnieLizzy827

Hi, and welcome to the world of geocaching.

No doubt you'll get a number of different answers to your question, and this is my personal opinion...

I've only placed 16 caches, and just one of those is premium member only cache. I wouldn't have a problem if a 'non-premium member' signed the log, particularly if its a group caching session with mixed premium / non-premiums. I'm not in favour of having rules just for the sake of having rules...

If it feels good, do it!!

Edited by Croesgadwr

Just a quick one. I just started geocaching and my girlfriend will be doing it with me. She also created a name here but I am wondering if it is important to have 2 paid memberships right now? I am out of work for a bit so I would rather not spend twice as much right now but there are a couple paid member only caches. Should I just note that she found it with me in the log and then when we upgrade her account, update the find on here at that time? Thank you!

WRTB and MinnieLizzy827

It purely up to you. So long as you have at least one premium membership, you'll be able to go together and find those caches. The only thing she won't be able to do is take credit for them until you also get her a PM. But you can claim that she found them with you (on the physical log sheet) and then when she upgrades, she'll be able to mark them as "found."

Personally, I would look to upgrade both to premium memberships as soon as you can so that both accounts have access to all the PM features (pocket queries, PM caches, etc.)

Welcome to geocaching and enjoy your budding addiction!

I can't really imagine that a cache-owner would have a problem if a 'premium member-only' cache was logged by somebody who doesn't have that membership.

Wouldn't think too much about it and go for it, most likely you'll never have a problem and in the unlikely event somebody would make a remark about it you can explain.

(These premium memberships caches are mainly there to keep the 'unexperienced' away - those that come just by on Geocaching for a couple of times - and to keep a cache easier under control)

I can't really imagine that a cache-owner would have a problem if a 'premium member-only' cache was logged by somebody who doesn't have that membership.

As I stated in a different thread a few days ago, I have always been happy to allow non PM members to log finds on my PMO caches. I have been asked to temporarily remove the PMO feature so a family could log their visits, and I in turn have made that request a few times for my kids.

Many of us have caches listed as PMO to keep an eye on who is checking out the cache. It has served me well, but I don't mind removing it when asked.

WRTB and MinnieLizzy827

It purely up to you. So long as you have at least one premium membership, you'll be able to go together and find those caches. The only thing she won't be able to do is take credit for them until you also get her a PM. But you can claim that she found them with you (on the physical log sheet) and then when she upgrades, she'll be able to mark them as "found."

Personally, I would look to upgrade both to premium memberships as soon as you can so that both accounts have access to all the PM features (pocket queries, PM caches, etc.)

Welcome to geocaching and enjoy your budding addiction!

This isn't quite correct. Non premium members can log premium member caches through a bit of a loophole in the website. I don't remember where to find it, but I'm sure somebody will chime in with a link or an offer to explain shortly. Welcome to the addiction, and enjoy!