10,000 smilies

Wavvy

Today the total finds on all my caches has reached 10,000. How many smiles have you created?

I don't know, and I'm not at all interested in that statistic. It's not the number of logs but the quality of the logs that matters to me. I'd prefer to not receive a log at all than have a blank one, or just TFTC, or just :-), or something that was copy/pasted from a previous find.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I don't know, and I'm not at all interested in that statistic. It's not the number of logs but the quality of the logs that matters to me. I'd prefer to not receive a log at all than have a blank one, or just TFTC, or just :-), or something that was copy/pasted from a previous find.

Rgds, Andy

37.gif

There was not really any need to start a 'quality of logs debate' was there?

The OP was just saying that they've had 10,000 finds on their caches! :rolleyes:

Mark

There was not really any need to start a 'quality of logs debate' was there?

The OP was just saying that they've had 10,000 finds on their caches! :rolleyes:

Obviously I didn't make myself clear, but I'm still surprised you didn't make the connection. It wasn't introducing the "quality of logs" debate at all.

I think that for a majority of cachers, the effort they put into a log is influenced by the amount of enjoyment they get from doing the cache. So, overall, a high quality cache is likely to average out with more interesting logs than a poor cache.

I understood exactly what the OP was saying, and trying to make the point that the number of finds is yet another statistic that takes no account of quality, and as such it holds no interest for me. I would wish for my caches to receive a small number of good quality logs in preference to a large number of terse ones, as that might be an indication that they provided above average enjoyment.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is in no way a comment on the quality of the OP's caches as I don't know anything about them. It's just a caution about placing too much emphasis on numbers alone - they mean very little to me without any means of associating quality/enjoyment/whatever with them - a bit like quoting the magnitude of a measurement without the units.

Rgds, Andy

Just noticed this thread, interesting idea. Taking my 25 most recently found caches and toting the finds up, multiplying by 10, gives roughly 25,000 smiles. Joy!

Of course, to be fair, you should take away the DNFs which represent frustration, angst, disappointment and stress! Two sides to every story! :)

Stats ... hmmmm!

It's not about the numbers.

The 10,000 finds happens to be a by-product of the excel spreadsheet I use to keep track

of my caches. The number of finds, although interesting, is less important to me than my original post suggests.

What's more important is keeping track of those caches which need maintenance and those which are not being found that often etc.

I would like to think that none of my caches were duff (I could be wrong, I often am). The number of finds merely reflects the effort, energy, time and money that cachers have expended to find my caches. Of course, it's cool to get a nice log, but in this time of power trails and cut and paste logs, it's an exception, especially in an urban environment like Milton Keynes.

As long as my caches are being found, I'm happy and will continue to place caches. The only numbers that really matter are my wife's birthday, our wedding anniversary, the kids' birthdays...