Montana software version 3.94 Beta

Catch

The update loaded and the unit did not start, would not start. Got on the phone with Mike at Garmin and he was very helpful. Tried his first solution, battery out, power key held down and plugged the usb cable in from the computer. Ran webupdater and reinstalled. Still no go.

He then emailed me an old GUP file, version 2.60 to copy into the unit and that installed fine and I had my Montana back. Downloaded 3.94 again and installed with no problems so I am good to go!

Maybe it was the solar flare!

Well, my Montana is hosed now. Installed the 3.94 beta and restarted the device. It shuts off during the bootup. I've seen this sort of problem in the past. Tried to hard reset it by holding my thumb in the upper left corner (in a portrait orientation) and turn it on but it still shuts down and won't let me hard reset.

Guess I'll be on the phone tomorrow. :(

EDIT: Blew the whole evening trying to figure this out. This page saved my bacon:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous

It describes a recovery process for the Oregon. I tried "Recovery #2" on my Montana 600 and was able to reload 3.90 and then upgrade to 3.94. Back in business. I was pretty sure that a call to Garmin was going to end up with UPS getting involved. The recovery stuff for the Oregon was awesome (and this is NOT Garmin stuff).

Edited by kb6ooc

The new touchscreen responsiveness is a major plus. It responds more like an iPod now and you can scroll through long lists of menus with a single swipe. The map can now be swiped and panned like never before. Much improved. Now all they need to do is work out the bugs.

Findings for 3.93 and 3.94 Betas:

1. Improved GPS response at low speeds:

In urban areas I record tracks at one second intervals. prior to 3.93 Beta the Montana switches to 2, 3

or 4 second intervals intermitandly, now it remains at 1 second intervals

2. Fixed issue with track log naming

Tracks are now saved with name Track_2012-03-07 162620. previously Track_06-FEB-12 053437

The same applies to waypoints sent to the Montana

Waypoints saved on the Montana still saved in a format e.g. Waypoints_07-MAR-12. should be Waypoints_2012-03-07 (future requirement)

3.Improved touch screen responsiveness

Much easier to scroll on the map screen

I did not experience any lock-ups or crashes

I've severals Bugs with my Montana 600 and the Beta 3.94:

1. The Montana crashes sometimes using the "3D-View" after panning around a bit with the arrow-keys AND an active GPS-fix. Active map is the Topo Germany V3.

2. The Montana crashes using the "Elevation Plot" with an active routing or following a track and the plot-type is set to "Elevation/Distance" (my usual settings :-/) AND an active GPS-fix. Active map is the Topo Germany V3.

3. When using "Where To?" -> "Cities" -> search by name -> after a few typed letters the Montana stuck (battery must be removed). Active map is CN Europe 2012.40.

4. Within the elevation plot respectively on the plot itself I can't activate the small red dot (by tapping on the plot) anymore for getting additional information (Date and Elevation) for a plot-point.

I am a bit tentative about using this update even though it supposedly corrects the calendar problem I've discussed with Garmin. I guess this is just one of those "you pays your money and you takes your chances" kind of things.

I think I'll wait a week or two and see what flushes out with this update. Thanks to all that are being the beta testers on this for the rest of us. :laughing:

I also saw the elevation plot crash today when I was hiking on a route and pulled up the barometric pressure plot and tried to change it to the elevation plot. I had one of those "fade out" type of shutdowns.

I found another one. I wanted to change how the power key worked with a double-tap. I wanted to have it lock/unlock the display. So, I went to SETUP > SYSTEM > CONFIGURE POWER KEY > DOUBLE TAP > MENU ITEM > SETUP and at this point the SETUP bar turned orange and nothing happened. The display was hung. I had to hold the power key down for several seconds to shutdown and then restart it to get back to normal again.

Saw some other strange stuff when at a mountain trail junction (using the 24K topo maps). I picked a point near my car and told it to GO there. It routed me along the squirly trail (fine so far) but the distance to the destination was only a mile or so and I know I was in for a 3.5 to 4 mile hike. Maybe it was giving me the direct distance. I'll have to play with this more to be sure.

On Tuesday 6 March, Garmin released Montana software version 3.93 Beta. I attempted to install 3.93 Beta on my Montana 650 on Tuesday... and the 650 ceased to function. I called Garmin in Kansas and spoke with Bob Gelbart a technician who assisted me in trying to resurrect the 650... all to no avail. Bob was helpful and patient, and after I tried the 3 or 4 options he suggested to get the 650 to work, he told me to send the non functioning 650 to Garmin and Garmin would send me a new replacement 650. He also mentioned that if I was interested, Garmin would send me a replacement 650 prior to their receipt of my bricked unit. I would have to agree to Garmin charging my credit card for the replacement unit, and after Garmin received my bricked unit Garmin would credit my credit card for the amount debited. I agreed. On Tuesday evening Garmin sent me a new unit via DHL and the USPS. The new unit arrived at my Post Office today and I went to the Post Office to pick-up the replacement 650.

I am delighted with the service Garmin provided. Yes, I did install 3.94 Beta on the new unit and all is well.

Thank you Garmin!

Here's an oddity which I never noticed, so I'm wondering if it's a bug.

In geocache mode I got a multi-page homescreen. Main page contains the usual geocaching icon, map icon etc.

On the next page I have just the agenda.

Now, when I'm at the main page, I can see the geocache dashboard on top (compass, distance, name of cache), but when I jump to the 2nd page with the arrow-right, the dashboard changes to time/date/batt-status/coord.

Is this normal?

@Barrikady

Recap. They make a Beta update, it bricks your Montana ( +- 600 freaking $$$ ) and you're happy they helped you with a replacement?? (maybe pre owned)

Is it me, or is something wrong here, considering, we had this same situation for years now, with many other models.

Why can't they just release a Beta upgrade that, even if not perfect does at least not brick up gps'es.

Even worse, the replacement Beta 3.94 also has bugs, not as severe, but still.

In your case things went fast and smooth, but there IS a world outside the Us, where people really struggle to get the gps working again, it might take them maybe weeks or even month.

Edited by splashy

Splashy,

Am I happy that my 650 was bricked? No.

Was it a hassle to get the new 650 and send back my bricked 650? Sure.

I was attempting to install Beta software, and having used Garmin products for about 10 years I knew that there was a possibility of a problem. I installed the Beta software fully aware that the beta software could cause difficulties. I see that you live in Las Vegas, so you surly know that life is a gamble. I tossed the dice, and this time I lost. I do not blame Garmin for the problem. No one forced me to use Beta software, it was my choice.

What I am happy about is the way Garmin dealt with my misfortune. They sent me a brand new replacement unit. The shipped it out the same day I bricked the 650, and I received the replacement quickly.

Splashy,

Am I happy that my 650 was bricked? No.

Was it a hassle to get the new 650 and send back my bricked 650? Sure.

I was attempting to install Beta software, and having used Garmin products for about 10 years I knew that there was a possibility of a problem. I installed the Beta software fully aware that the beta software could cause difficulties. I see that you live in Las Vegas, so you surly know that life is a gamble. I tossed the dice, and this time I lost. I do not blame Garmin for the problem. No one forced me to use Beta software, it was my choice.

What I am happy about is the way Garmin dealt with my misfortune. They sent me a brand new replacement unit. The shipped it out the same day I bricked the 650, and I received the replacement quickly.

VERY well said. Exactly the attitude I took with my Oregon 400 and then my Oregon 450t.

I also saw the elevation plot crash today when I was hiking on a route and pulled up the barometric pressure plot and tried to change it to the elevation plot. I had one of those "fade out" type of shutdowns.

I found another one. I wanted to change how the power key worked with a double-tap. I wanted to have it lock/unlock the display. So, I went to SETUP > SYSTEM > CONFIGURE POWER KEY > DOUBLE TAP > MENU ITEM > SETUP and at this point the SETUP bar turned orange and nothing happened. The display was hung. I had to hold the power key down for several seconds to shutdown and then restart it to get back to normal again.

Saw some other strange stuff when at a mountain trail junction (using the 24K topo maps). I picked a point near my car and told it to GO there. It routed me along the squirly trail (fine so far) but the distance to the destination was only a mile or so and I know I was in for a 3.5 to 4 mile hike. Maybe it was giving me the direct distance. I'll have to play with this more to be sure.

I've experienced both of these issues too, exactly as you described, all in one hike. In fact, it took me three tires to get the barometric plot switched to elevation/distance plot. I thought I might be stuck with it in barometric mode but it finally worked on try 3.

On the same hike I was navigating toward my car, which was a mere 300 feet away at the time, and the montana showed 5.53 miles in the "Distance to Destination" field.

I should also note I'm still running version 3.90 and haven't tried either Beta update yet.

'I tossed the dice, and this time I lost. I do not blame Garmin for the problem. No one forced me to use Beta software, it was my choice."

Sure, that's not the point, the point is they keep on launching wrong software on all models and yes it's Beta, you can expect bugs, but so bad?

In the past years I had Colorado, gave it back because it had hardware issues, my Oregon had many wrong Beta's and now Montana.

Shouldn't they test a little bit before going to the hassle of swapping bricked Gps'es?

Don't get me wrong I LIKE Beta's because that way the gps works better in a shorter time, but doing it this way is useless.

The general idea of a beta is that it might still have issues but the most obvious problems have already been addressed. From what people are saying it sounds like Garmin are putting out what they are calling a beta but what might more accurately be called an alpha, if it even warrants that name.

If I install a beta product I accept it might have a few bugs here and there, it might behave unexpectedly in a few ways. I don't expect it to turn an expensive unit into a paperweight.

Crashed a couple of times when doing a spelled Goto-search for a city. Strangely enough, after the first crash I had a peek in the "found recently", the city name was found and on top of the list (I never searched for that city before).

Being persistent in my search attempts, finally it found the city without crashing.

For geocaching, the sensitivity at slow speeds is greatly improved B)

Yes, I discovered a bug in the 3.94 beta that I already reported to Garmin.

In the map I choose Geoaching, Find Another. After that I select the icon to search for a geocache by name. When I close this screen without any input the crash occurs. The only way to recover after that is to remove the battery.

Extra information:

I use the Garmin Benelux map.

Edited by witterholt