State Maps are down---AGAIN!!!!!

15Tango

I tried to get the Hawaii map last night and today...no go..I logged out and on again...no luck..I get this error message...Could't load the shapefile: C:inetpubshapefilesusahihi.shp

hope this helps

"Do a cache, haul out some trash, one piece at time, we'll get the world clean. in no time"....

quote:
Originally posted by MercRocks:

I tried to get the Hawaii map last night and today...no go..I logged out and on again...no luck..

When you log out, stay logged out, AND while you're LOGGED OUT try to bring up the map.

Ive just tried it, and IA and ND work fine, but HI gives me and error, and logging out doesnt help. Maybe the Admins. are working on the map??

working or not?

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Yeah, the trick is logging out and staying logged out. When we reached 100 finds, the maps became unstable. Now that we are above 300, they are flat out unusable when logged in. I hope the new mapping page works better for me. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I guess it is on my end--the maps work when I stay logged off, but my 200+ finds make it so I can't look at the maps when I'm logged in. They must figure that once one gets a certain number of finds, they don't need maps!!! But alas, the only reason I wanted to access the Minnesota State map is to see what my finds look like graphically. 15T

Think Globally, Act Locally

290 or so finds and it works for me every time. A bit slow perhaps (20 seconds per request over a T1 ine) but it always seems to work. I'm not sure what would cause it to be unstable for some and fine for others.

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

quote:
Originally posted by lisa4pride:

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii (Kauai and the Big Island) and I'm hoping to get in 30+ caches while there... so I tried to look at my plans graphically with the state map but have been getting errors for 2 days...

Any ideas or advice??

If the log-out-and-look trick doesn't work you might try using this map. You can also zoom in another frame if you need a closer view.

Good Luck on your trip icon_biggrin.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I also received an error message when attempting to load the Hawaii state map directly. It said that the shapefile for HI couldn't be loaded.

What worked instead was starting with the "World" map, and zooming in on Hawaii (the big blob of cache dots in the middle of the Pacific). After five or six zooms, you have a useable map.

Good luck on your trip. Need a cache monkey to tag along?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

If the log-out-and-look trick doesn't work you might try using http://brillig.com/geocaching/hawaii.shtml map. You can also zoom in another frame if you need a closer view.

Good Luck on your trip icon_biggrin.gif

http://brillig.com/geocaching/http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/22008_1700.gif http://www.gpgeocaching.com/

Thanks -the log-out-log-in didn't work for me, but that map is pretty helpfull. It's not totally up to date, but it's a good start!

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I also received an error message when attempting to load the Hawaii state map directly. It said that the shapefile for HI couldn't be loaded.

What worked instead was starting with the "World" map, and zooming in on Hawaii (the big blob of cache dots in the middle of the Pacific). After five or six zooms, you have a useable map.

Good luck on your trip. Need a cache monkey to tag along?

Yep, same error. Starting with the 'world' map also worked, but it's a very poor map and half of the caches appear in the ocean! But it isn't too hard to extrapolate from there since I'm a little familiar with the geography.

Thanks!