Etrex 20? Something Else?

Yes, latest firmware update has improved the low speed sticky issue. But it still remains (for some of us). It's only noticed it areas that your walking speed drops below 1-2 mph. (where I live... That's everywhere). I will be posting a youtube video to show how the sticky issue looks on 2.70 soon.

Other than that little bug, once you learn how to use it... It's REALLY a great device!

( chefrd2000 did a YouTube review of the 20 if your interested )

No and no :)

I have an Etrex 20, having upgraded from my Legend H. I've downloaded free maps onto it and it does everything I need, both for geocaching and hiking.

Some folks have seen a 'sticky' problem at low speed, but I haven't managed to duplicate it. Those that have seem to think the latest software, while not eradicating it, has improved it. Either way you apparently have to be moving fairly slowly for it to 'stick'.

Thanks for the info on the bug, I generally move pretty fast, on trail and off, so maybe I wont see it.

Yes, latest firmware update has improved the low speed sticky issue. But it still remains (for some of us). It's only noticed it areas that your walking speed drops below 1-2 mph. (where I live... That's everywhere). I will be posting a youtube video to show how the sticky issue looks on 2.70 soon.

Other than that little bug, once you learn how to use it... It's REALLY a great device!

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the video.

No and no :)

I have an Etrex 20, having upgraded from my Legend H. I've downloaded free maps onto it and it does everything I need, both for geocaching and hiking.

Some folks have seen a 'sticky' problem at low speed, but I haven't managed to duplicate it. Those that have seem to think the latest software, while not eradicating it, has improved it. Either way you apparently have to be moving fairly slowly for it to 'stick'.

Thanks for the info on the bug, I generally move pretty fast, on trail and off, so maybe I wont see it.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the video.

I'm 99% sure this is a firmware issue... So I'm hoping garmin will get it ironed out soon. Because your aware of the bug, look for it right away and see if it's a deal breaker for you before your return window closes. ( or maybe like sussamb... You won't ever see it )

ChefRd2000 - thanks for that video. That showed me many of the things I was interested in and touched on some stuff I was wondering about.

Couple questions - have you since loaded in any detailed maps? I heard you could get birds eye view maps via KML files from Google Earth. Know anything about that?

Also, what was the deal with the rubberband? Just holding your video camera to the device?

ChefRd2000 - thanks for that video. That showed me many of the things I was interested in and touched on some stuff I was wondering about.

Couple questions - have you since loaded in any detailed maps? I heard you could get birds eye view maps via KML files from Google Earth. Know anything about that?

Also, what was the deal with the rubberband? Just holding your video camera to the device?

I have loaded many maps... They work great. Best to use the lean n mean ones as they scroll really fast. Also added custom maps i built in google earth... Even that last shot in the video of a trail map, i turned that picture into a usable map using google earth. Turn by turn maps works great for me! Have not loaded garmins birds eye maps, But it has a demo installed that I checked out. But just the demo. ( for those who have not tried this... Enable all maps and then go to the Eiffel tower in Paris ).

Rubber band just to hold it ;-) tried to make a easy to view video.

Just returned from the store with my Etrex 20. This thing is pretty sweet! I also got the protective case with belt clip for the Etrex and stopped off at walgreens to get a new AA charger and some more rechargeable batteries. This will make things a whole lot easier for me since I misplaced the old proprietary cable that came with the Rhino - I had to go all manual entry. It's funny - I balked at the $50 for an old unstandard cable replacement + whatever cost of the adapter to change from serial to USB, but I just dropped $250 plus on a new unit and accessories.

I have loaded many maps... They work great. Best to use the lean n mean ones as they scroll really fast. Also added custom maps i built in google earth... Even that last shot in the video of a trail map, i turned that picture into a usable map using google earth. Turn by turn maps works great for me! Have not loaded garmins birds eye maps, But it has a demo installed that I checked out. But just the demo. ( for those who have not tried this... Enable all maps and then go to the Eiffel tower in Paris ).

Rubber band just to hold it ;-) tried to make a easy to view video.

Mine didn't come with the lanyard like you showed in your video. :anibad: good thing I was really planning on making my own out of paracord I guess... lol

Once I figured out how to use all the features I think it's the best GPS on the market for the price. Keep in mind you need to purchase maps. That added another 70 bucks when I bought it from Garmin.

I have the old mapsource TOPO maps from when I purchased my Garmin Rhino back in 03 or 04, I also have the Nat Geo TOPO maps for my state, and some free topo maps as well. I think I am set on maps for a while.