Cache Saturation Check

W4G_SOTAGoat

I've been bitten by the cache saturation thing more than once and would love to see a way to check for saturation before I go to the trouble of submitting the cache. It would save lots of time for both COs and reviewers. I saw it was in the works, but is there an update on when it will be available?

As for the "playing battleship" listed in another thread, perhaps the check should only be made available to premium members and you could only do a limited number of checks per day. You would only get a Go/No-Go answer so to try to geometrically solve a puzzle/multi with this method would be a futile attempt.

I've been bitten by the cache saturation thing more than once and would love to see a way to check for saturation before I go to the trouble of submitting the cache. It would save lots of time for both COs and reviewers. I saw it was in the works, but is there an update on when it will be available?

As for the "playing battleship" listed in another thread, perhaps the check should only be made available to premium members and you could only do a limited number of checks per day. You would only get a Go/No-Go answer so to try to geometrically solve a puzzle/multi with this method would be a futile attempt.

Checking for saturation.

I've helped "battleship" a puzzle location (with the CO's permission) using one of the major solution verification systems. It provided only yes–no answers, and limited each user (actually, each IP address) to a few checks per day. It wasn't that difficult.

The solution I mentioned in the UserVoice forums is fairly simple, and should be effective: have the system remember each guess for a week/fortnight/month/whatever, and have future guesses conflict with remembered guesses. People trying to "battleship" won't be able to move their coordinates a small distance and guess again, which will strongly discourage "battleshipping". Everyone else can then use the system to check their cache coordinates.

That still doesn't address the issue of multi/puzzles. One shouldn't have to go through submitting a cache and getting a GC number just to find out if they are too close to another cache. There needs to be a better solution.

At this time there isn't. I was mentioned that the new submission process that was rolled out the first of the year will be rolled out soon is suppose to address this problem.