Driving from Ontario to Cape Breton Island

DandV08

Hi fellow cachers,

My family and I are going to be driving from the Hamilton area to Cape Breton Island. We would like to do some caching on the way.

Has anyone driven to Cape Breton??? I would like some information if you have.

How long did it take you?

Where did you stop along the way?

What did you see while there?

Any good caches on the way or there?

Thanks. Hope to hear from you.

DandV08

Ok, here is a bit of info.

I hate driving in Quebec and most caches are in french.

My preferred route is to cross at Cornwall Ontario over to New York and then head to Champlain NY or Plattsburg NY and cross over to Vermont and down to Montpelier VT. From there I drive State Road #2 all the way to Bangor ME and then #9 to St. Stephen NB and #1 to the 104 all the way to Cape Breton.

This is a scenic route with lots to see and you can stop at Lake Champlain Chocolates, Ben & Jerry Ice Cream and the Ganong Chocolate Factory.

There are some amazing Virtuals along the way and a real interesting cache called Whine and Whoopie along with some cool Traditionals.

If you need more info or a link to a "Caches Along a Route" just ask.

Binrat

A few year go we headed down East to tour around and end back in Quebec for Canada's first mega event. In Cornwall we visited the Historic Cornwall Jail.

In Quebec City we visited Montmorency Falls. They have cable car that takes you up to the top and you can walk over the top and work your way back down along board walks and stairs with look out points along the way.

2831368154_5d04a3ff9f.jpg

Montmorency Falls - From Up High - Cropped by Keith Watson aka Keith Watson, on Flickr

Grand Falls has an earth cache an virtual on either side of the falls.

2889084127_0ef4dbcd87.jpg

Grand Falls by Keith Watson aka Keith Watson, on Flickr

In Hartland there is the largest covered bridge in the world.

2920885369_c9fcb0faab.jpg

Hartland Covered Bridge by Keith Watson aka Keith Watson, on Flickr

Sackville Waterfowl Park in Sackville was an interesting place to visit. There was an earth cache there. We took the guided tour which is still only $12.00 for the whole family. That includes the guide, binoculars, and cookies and lemon aid at the end.

Moncton has a zoo and magnetic hill that was fun to visit and South of Moncton is the Hopewell Rocks. if you time it right with the tide you can walk on the floor of the Bay Of Fundy.

3222671306_b8b053f3b0.jpg

Hopewell Rocks From Above by Keith Watson aka Keith Watson, on Flickr

We spent two days on P.E.I. by crossing the confederation bridge to the island and the ferry back to the mainland which took us to Nova Scotia.

Always enjoy looking at your pictures, Keith. These look like the kind of spots I'd want to visit if this were my road trip. :)

Thanks. I find sometimes that looking up earth caches and virtual along our route helps locates interesting places. Hopewell rocks was bard to locate exactly where it was until I spotted the earth cage there.

Hi we live on Cap Breton Island and travel to and from Ontario when we can.

MY wife drove from St Catherines in just over 24 hours, 2 drivers an a few rests along the way

We normally stop at family in Fredericton,,

in the summer the caches along the highways are pretty easy to get to , (Rest Stops)

other than that take your time and enjoy the trip.

plan on driving for 10-12 hours a day, should take a bit over 2 days if you are caching,,

from St Catherines to Fredericton can be done in 18 hours, 7 Hours from Fredericton to Sydney

We are beginning to prefer the trip through the US as is is pretty good driving. and takes about the same time

cross at Niagara, upper tier hwy in NY then cut across to Vermont,towards Maine,, a great trip and lots of roadside caches,, I can send a GPX of the route if you want

Edited by stagunner