Solar flares may disrupt GPS accuracy this week

I was curious to see what the recent projected solar flares and CME would have on my gps. I set my PN-40's tracking interval to ten seconds and placed it on my window sill over night. The next morning I had almost 3,000 data points and the track showed the usual "rat's nest" of lines with a few outliers. I then downloaded the tracks onto Excel and calculated each point's distances from a central datum. The chart below is the result.

e9bf749c-d759-4f7e-8cfd-9af9e78411ac.jpg

As you can see there was one large excursion in the middle of the night. Was this evidence of solar influence? I decided to take a look at the projected DOP for that same time period using Trimble's Planning Software and I found a high DOP value around the same time period.

0d38ffb9-7fb2-482e-99e6-c56f628dbed7.jpg

It appears that satellite position and not solar activity caused the excursion. The rest of the collected data appear to fall within the normal range of signal bounce.

Domo again!!!

Hey! Thanks Capt. Bob, me local Massachusetts cacher!

(Love your kinnikuman picture, btw...)

Impressive citizen's analysis!

And, I learned a bit more about GPS.

DOP = Dilution of precision

Well, I guess no one can blame the solar fares as the main reason of their DNFs yesterday & today.

We all luckily dodged the bullet at least for this time.

Yet, beware of the massive solar flare predicted, with a 12 percent chance of one occurring over the next decade.

"On the probability of occurrence of extreme space weather events"

Devastating...

Go Science!

~ Dr.MORO

Domo again!!!

(Love your kinnikuman picture, btw...)

Kinnikuman and yakiimo, a dangerous combination, ne?

Yet, beware of the massive solar flare predicted, with a 12 percent chance of one occurring over the next decade.

"On the probability of occurrence of extreme space weather events"

Devastating...

Thanks for the interesting article. Another Carrington event, another DNF! Oh, well.