Download maps onto Garmin Dakota 20

Gumbys4eva

I've had my Garmin Dakota 20 for about a year and am still learning the ins and outs of it. I would like to download some maps to it so that I have something other than the basic one that it came with (which really only shows highways). I've looked through these topics and in the manual, but can't find anything about it. In the meantime, I'm printing maps as I go. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have the same question, I want to download trail maps from gpsdepot.com on to my Garmin GPSMAPS62, but don't know how to do it. I have dowloaded basecamp onto my home computer, with Garmin's help, but they won't tell me how to download maps other than their maps.

Also, is there a good source for street maps other than the $99 Garmin option?

I have the same question, I want to download trail maps from gpsdepot.com on to my Garmin GPSMAPS62, but don't know how to do it. I have dowloaded basecamp onto my home computer, with Garmin's help, but they won't tell me how to download maps other than their maps.

This website provides free garmin maps in an installer file format which will load automatically into MapSource.

There are programmes available (the name escapes me at the moment) that will load .IMG map files into MapSource as well.

This website provides free garmin maps in an installer file format which will load automatically into MapSource.

There are programmes available (the name escapes me at the moment) that will load .IMG map files into MapSource as well.

When your select the maps you want from this website, and click "Build My Map", the final email you get will have many different download options. One of which is a gmapsupp.img file. With that, you can simply copy it onto an SD card(assuming there isn't already a map on it) and be ready to go as soon as you turn the unit on.

When your select the maps you want from this website, and click "Build My Map", the final email you get will have many different download options. One of which is a gmapsupp.img file. With that, you can simply copy it onto an SD card(assuming there isn't already a map on it) and be ready to go as soon as you turn the unit on.

If you have the right Garmin (such as the OP). Some of us still have to load maps from software on the PC (eTrex Venture HC).

I cannot transfer NT City Navigator (Europe) from my Mac to my Garmin etrex 20.

I have installed the latest version of Base Camp on my my Mac (using Mac OS 10.5.8)

I am using Safari as instructed.

I have successfully installed NT City Navigator on the Mac and the map comes up fine when I click on Base Camp.

I have downloaded Mapinstaller as instructed.

I have connected my new Garmin etrex 20 to the Mac using the USB cable.

Now what do I have to do to transfer the map from my Mac to my Garmin? It is supposed to be so easy but I just can't see what I am doing wrong.

I have tried the Transfer pull-down option from the Base Camp Menu across the top of the page.

If I choose Send I get a window with my Garmin device correctly selected, and 5 options - - routes, tracks, view points & photos, Garmin custom Maps and Send Maps with Mapinstall. This last option seems the most likely but I only get the Cancel box highlighted and the Send is not offered.

Please can somebody help? I am sure that there must be instructions for something as obvious as this, but I can't find them.