Most Geocaches in America

gfamgeo

just because an area has the most does not mean its the best place to go. I imagine any big metropolitan area has many. If you like puzzles for example, I hear Los Angeles has hardly any puzzles compared to say Portland or Seattle. If you like wherigos, Michigan is the place to go.

If you like those (cough cough) power trails, you could go to California (Rte 66) or Nevada (ET Highway) for those. Personally I do not care for those.

I would not focus on numbers in an area. Perhaps look at each state by favorite points if you are deciding between say Miami and Dallas Fort Worth.

Besides, maybe a city has the most but 90% of them are LPCs or on guard rails, that is a long trip for 100 lamp posts.

as far as answering your question, its been asked before in the forums. Dallas Fort Worth seems to be a popular answer by some, but I can't imagine Seattle or Portland would disappoint you either.

remember OP said most not the best.

Rachel is like all power trail

Nevada has the longest power trail but I think Utah has the most power trails and GeoArt.

In California I would say SoCal would have the most caches for the area.

Edited by jellis

:rolleyes: I was just wondering with city in America has the most geocaches? I want to go on a geocaching trip and I want to make the most of it! Does anyone know the answer to this?

I suspect that any city in the U.S. would have more than enough caches to keep you busy during your trip.

remember OP said most not the best.

Rachel is like all power trail

Nevada has the longest power trail but I think Utah has the most power trails and GeoArt.

In California I would say SoCal would have the most caches for the area.

Come to the San Francisco Bay area.

We'll tantalize you with ancient caches

We'll baffle you with puzzles

We'll challenge you with multies

We'll take vacation pictures of you with webcams

We'll get you wet with kayaking caches

:lol:

RI has the highest cache density of any of the 50 states (caches/per sq. mi.). There's even a DeLorme Challenge that can be done in a single day.

We also have wicked good grinders, cabinets, and clam cakes, beautiful scenery, beaches, forests, and a high point that can be reached in under 10 minutes from your parking spot.

RI has the highest cache density of any of the 50 states (caches/per sq. mi.). There's even a DeLorme Challenge that can be done in a single day.

We also have wicked good grinders, cabinets, and clam cakes, beautiful scenery, beaches, forests, and a high point that can be reached in under 10 minutes from your parking spot.

have often said to my friends if I ever go to Rhode Island we have to do the Delorme! I get RI and Delaware confused in my head though, one of them only needs 3 caches.

have often said to my friends if I ever go to Rhode Island we have to do the Delorme! I get RI and Delaware confused in my head though, one of them only needs 3 caches.

I haven't seen a DeLorme for Rhode Island. I can't imagine it would be very many pages - I suppose it includes Connecticuit, too, in which case I think the honorable thing to do is complete both states. :lol:

This question of cache density comes up from time to time. A lot of US cities have a lot of caches. More than you can possibly find in a vacation period. Go somewhere that's attractive, and cache. I'd say San Francisco, myself. But I probably would be too busy eating to find that many caches ;-)

"I haven't seen a DeLorme for Rhode Island...includes Connecticut" so now you can Little Rhody DeLorme Challenge. And no, it doesn't include Connecticut. And it does require more then 3 caches.

This question of cache density comes up from time to time. A lot of US cities have a lot of caches. More than you can possibly find in a vacation period. Go somewhere that's attractive, and cache. I'd say San Francisco, myself. But I probably would be too busy eating to find that many caches ;-)

"I haven't seen a DeLorme for Rhode Island...includes Connecticut" so now you can Little Rhody DeLorme Challenge. And no, it doesn't include Connecticut. And it does require more then 3 caches.

While the food here is definitely awesomes, thanks to a great ethnic diversity, our caching terrain ranges from flat trails in the Baylands, to thousands of acres of hills and mountains in Open Space preserves. For the even more intrepid there are ferry boats to Angel Island, where you could hike your legs to the bone, seeking caches and enjoying unparalleled views. Our back country is only a few miles away and you can rough it like you were Kit Carson. San Francisco's huge Golden Gate Park, significantly larger than New York's famous Central Park is utterly packed with caches and a definite international destination. And who could resist a visit historic Alacatraz to pick up a couple? As if that's not enough we've got puzzles created by some of the finest, most devious minds you could find anywhere. Yep. The Bay Area, it's a great place to geocache your brains out. :anibad:

and Dell's Lemonade. That is a reason to go all by its self.

and Dell's Lemonade. That is a reason to go all by its self.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. And Gray's Ice Cream in Tiverton.

At this point in time - any trip to anywhere in the lower 48 states is going to yield plenty of caches to go find. All depends on how many you want to go after per hour/day/week.

And if you have a passport, pretty much the entire country of Germany is one dense cluster of geocaches. I think there may be space for one or two more ... I really need to get moving on renewing my passport.

For density, I'd recommend Portland. It has a lot more caches than Seattle even.

It also has the first cache plaque nearby.

There are more caches in Portland than you can find in a two week vacation. It's also got mountains close by, so if you want to go hike/ caching you can do that, and find one of the oldest caches left in the US there (one day older than Mingo).

Another thing to consider, is how accessible those caches are.

I cached in downtown Seattle on Thanksgiving day just because I'd be able to get parking.

San Francisco, I would think, would be a caching nightmare. there's no parking in 90% of the whole city.

Like someone said, there are caches where ever you go. Find a spot that has some interest for you besides caches.

What do you like? Do you like hiking? Boating? What?

I think the big issue is determining what counts as city. Do you consider just the tourist area's? Do you consider the Inner City where all the crime happens and nobody wants to visit (People forced there by poverty)? City borders are another issue. Some cities borders actually include the "suburbs". Look at Los Angeles, there really isn't any suburbs of the city. The suburbs are included in the city. Other cities only include the extreme center of the city, where all the skyscrapers are. Like Baltimore City, extremely small area, pretty much all the work buildings and the tourist attractions like the waterfront. Not many houses. The actual housing is in another county. Most cities meet on a middle-ground; workers place in the middle, inner city housing surrounding, and possibly a little "suburbs" in the extreme corners, with the rest of the 'burbs being outside the "city-line".

It's just too hard to compile a list without adding a lot of specific criteria.