Keep it moving GC9D2E

motnahp

I have been watching this cache GC9D2E for a while now as it is an interesting type of cache but have been very disappointed to see it being passed around for people to sign and log it as found. I find it very sad that these people are claiming this 5/5 cache as a find. Surely this is not in the spirit of Geocaching.

I have been watching this cache GC9D2E for a while now as it is an interesting type of cache but have been very disappointed to see it being passed around for people to sign and log it as found. I find it very sad that these people are claiming this 5/5 cache as a find. Surely this is not in the spirit of Geocaching.

Moving caches have been around for a long time. Many years ago, it was deemed that no new ones would be allowed, so there are very few still out there. I find it an honour to log one of these legendary caches. Granted, rating this one as 5/5 is kind of cheesy. If I was trying to fill in my D/T grid, I certainly wouldn't consider this cache as fulfilling the 5/5 requirement. I'd go out and find a legitimate 5/5. It isn't hurting anyone, though.

I got a kick out of the attributes:

-Dangerous animals!

-Stealth required

-Thorns!

-Available in winter

-May require swimming

-May require wading

-Kid friendly

-Requires scuba gear

-Climbing gear

-Dangerous area

Those sure make it sound like it's a challenging 5/5! :anibad:

And "kid friendly", to boot! :laughing:

New here, aren't you?

Moving caches are weird animals, apparently grandfathered from a day when you could create such. Geocachers like to keep these things alive simply out of novelty and variety. I've logged a few, but find the mess with my Souvenir list and really aren't worthy of much of the terrain value, though difficulty is easy to understand as you have to be in the right place at the right time to log one.

Sadness would abound if someone took it upon themselves to discard, destroy, keep or otherwise negatively impact one. Usually there's a laundry list of watchers and once one appears headed for an area you can count on geocachers to await its arrival with gleeful anticipation.

On another side of the coin, please consider some of the earliest caches, which may require some travel and a considerable hike still have 1/1 stuck on them. Accept it. Embrace it. Resistance is useless.

I really don't care how others are logging this cache as it doesn't effect me one bit. I *do* think that the cache is incorrectly rated though and am somewhat surprised at the glee some of the logs express about finding a 5/5 cache. It's neither difficult to find nor does it require traversing difficult terrain to get to it if you happen to be in the right place at the right time. A cache rated 1.5/1.5 and located on the other side of the world is still a 1.5/1.5 even though it might require getting on an airplane to go find it.

As a finder, its part of the history of geocaching, so I would log it if I saw it and yes, I agree its not rated correctly, but it is what it is. I have found a number of Challenge caches that were rated inappropriately in my opinion as well. So, I fully agree that my D/T combo has some combos that are no where near 5/5 or some others. However, I did not use any of them for Fizzy challenge claims and only the CO can control those things. If the cache was right in front of me at an event, I would not pass it up because of its rating.

I was a newbie when I logged that cache. It landed on my lap at an event. I didnt go looking for it. :blink: Its my only 5/5 find and I am quite proud of it. :laughing:

To the OP, how often you will find a moving cache landed on your lap? Its pretty rare and thats the spirit of Geocaching.

We found (some were handed to us) a few moving caches when we first started.

Knew they existed, but haven't spotted one in years.

We have a fair share of "5s" under our belts , but we'd still log this one if it came to our area. Hopefully someone would mention it's around. ;)

- One of the few reminders (to us) of a more relaxed time in this hobby.

There is no difference whatsoever to me between an outlawed "Pocket Cache", which the CEO of Groundspeak, back when he used to interact in the forums, referred to as "Pocket Lint", and the method in which some grandfathered moving caches are being passed around and logged.

As a matter of fact, I'm aware of a 2002 placed "moving cache" that has always, from day one been used only as a Pocket Cache carried to events. I ain't saying though, seeing as I know the CO personally. :lol:

The thing is moving caches were meant to be found and get re-hidden by each finder. That person would log a find, and include the coordinates to the new hiding place in their log. Then someone else would find it and re-hide it somewhere else, and include the new coords in their log. Lather, rinse, repeat.

GC9D2E on the other hand, appears to have become Pocket Lint, being passed around at events. I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets shut down real soon now.

I've logged a few, but find the mess with my Souvenir list...

I thought Groundspeak fixed this? There's a bunch of caches on their list that will not grant you location souvenirs when you log a find. If it's still messed up, and if it's important to you, contact them.

Yeah, Moun10Bike was personally making that list and made a forum topic to look for ones missing from the list. Those caches should not generate a souvenir, but they may show up in various state lists in your stats depending how you use them.

On another side of the coin, please consider some of the earliest caches, which may require some travel and a considerable hike still have 1/1 stuck on them. Accept it. Embrace it. Resistance is useless.

Like this one. :laughing:

Have you seen my mini-movie? Escape from GC12 ->

GC12 is largely a drive-up, unless it is Winter. GC17 and GC16 are the ones requiring some legwork, terrain rating on both are understated.

I've logged a few, but find the mess with my Souvenir list...

I thought Groundspeak fixed this? There's a bunch of caches on their list that will not grant you location souvenirs when you log a find. If it's still messed up, and if it's important to you, contact them.

Yeah, Moun10Bike was personally making that list and made a forum topic to look for ones missing from the list. Those caches should not generate a souvenir, but they may show up in various state lists in your stats depending how you use them.

I have one cache on "THE LIST" as administered by Lackey Moun10Bike, a cache with bogus coordinates in Arctic Canada. It absolutely does not show in my stats (furthest North, furthest from home, etc..) Nor do I have a souvenir for Nunavut. :lol:

Back to GC9D2E, the subject of this thread. The CO is a charter member, and still quite active. He's obviously OK with all this, not that that matters if TPTB shut it down. In addition to being passed around to people, there is at least one total Armchair log from an American within the last year while it was being passed around to cachers in Glasgow Scotland, which it still is. Not that I know the American Cacher who armchair logged it or anything, did I just say that? I didn't say that. :ph34r:

It certainly isn't in the spirit of geocaching or even moving caches. The moving caches that I've been aware of were supposed to be hidden so others could find them. Having a cache brought to you so you can sign doesn't sound much like geocaching to me. Sounds like its being treated as a "pocket cache" and should be archived.

Edited by briansnat

GC12 is largely a drive-up, unless it is Winter. GC17 and GC16 are the ones requiring some legwork, terrain rating on both are understated.

I think I saw it

GC17 is harder than ever, the road to the nearest trailhead was taken out last year. Now there is a harder hike than ever. I would rate is higher than a 2.5 T for sure. I found all three of those caches in one day and plus a bunch of others. <_<

Edited by SwineFlew
I have one cache on "THE LIST" as administered by Lackey Moun10Bike, a cache with bogus coordinates in Arctic Canada. It absolutely does not show in my stats (furthest North, furthest from home, etc..) Nor do I have a souvenir for Nunavut. :lol:

Same here - I have two on the list. On GSAK I locked the entries so that coordinates don't get updated from My Finds. Might be problematic if you're consuming My Finds PQ raw though.

It certainly isn't in the spirit of geocaching or even moving caches. The moving caches that I've been aware of were supposed to be hidden so others could find them. Having a cache brought to you so you can sign doesn't sound much like geocaching to me. Sounds like its being treated as a "pocket cache" and should be archived.

If you feel it should be archived. You are a reviewer. Unless those caches are only archive by GS.

There was one traveling cache that got lost and the CO just started up a new one. Is that ok as well?

Actually we walked quite a bit for GC12. It was not so bad in itself but it got us a bit tired before the GC17 snow slog I will tell ya. The road you were probably referring to in the pic was blocked that day. We probably walked a few miles on GC12. We parked in between GC12 and GC17 and walked to both from the same spot. So, depends how you get there to some extent.

Edited by lamoracke

As a finder, its part of the history of geocaching, so I would log it if I saw it and yes, I agree its not rated correctly, but it is what it is. I have found a number of Challenge caches that were rated inappropriately in my opinion as well. So, I fully agree that my D/T combo has some combos that are no where near 5/5 or some others. However, I did not use any of them for Fizzy challenge claims and only the CO can control those things. If the cache was right in front of me at an event, I would not pass it up because of its rating.

like 4 of them in one place :laughing:

Hmmm

Seems Moun10bike, Jeremy and some other lackeys didn't mind with the ones floating around the Block Party who also signed them.

Hmmm

Seems Moun10bike, Jeremy and some other lackeys didn't mind with the ones floating around the Block Party who also signed them.

I think there were three of them, at least, which I signed. For my stats - using Stat Gen in GSAK - I fix them where I found them. Can't do as much with regard to the Groundspeak data. Still, the service in that after-event event was a severe challenge to get any food or drink, so I'll accept the T/D on those. :rolleyes:

Hmmm

I think there were three of them, at least, which I signed. For my stats - using Stat Gen in GSAK - I fix them where I found them. Can't do as much with regard to the Groundspeak data. Still, the service in that after-event event was a severe challenge to get any food or drink, so I'll accept the T/D on those. :rolleyes:

there were 4 of them there.

Hmmm

Perhaps they have changed their views on "pocket lint". At one time pocket caches were archived as soon as they were indentified.

Hmmm

Perhaps they have changed their views on "pocket lint". At one time pocket caches were archived as soon as they were indentified.

Moun10bike only wanted the GC #s so he could remove them from the souvenir list if they leave the area. But he and Jeremy said they don't like them but don't mind signing them. Jeremy signed the ones we had at the event but didn't log them. But reviewers don't want them at events.

Edited by jellis

My heart sank when I received the following e-mail from motnahp (the OP) today...

"I think it is a bad idea to pass "Keep it moving" around so that other cachers can find it without actually looking. I hope you will hid it properly soon so that it can continue its journey. There has been some talk on the forum about this subject and the cache is in danger of being classed as a "Pocket Cache" and archived. This is a great cache which is no longer allowed. The proper thing to do, I think, would be to mention this in a note and possibly ask all those people who have logged it as found to delete their logs. It makes me very sad to see the cache being treated in this way."

Where do I start? I know it is a great cache. I know the rules for this special cache. I now know "there is some talk on the forum" only because you started it?!? And I strongly believe the CO's "proper thing to do" is more important than the yours!

I found "Keep it Moving" last month and asked nmartin the CO if he would allow me to bring it to my first ever event. His reply was...

"Yes, have fun with it, just when you are done, send me the coord's of where you leave it."

In keeping with the CO's wishes that is exactly what I plan to do. Take it to the event, have fun with it and when we are done with it pass it on for somebody else to release back in to the wild. I spent hours reading about the "Keep it Moving" adventure but the idea of posting a note that asks every cacher in the world that has "found" it at an event to delete their logs never occurred to me?!?

Instead I decided to do something constructive with my time, I did my homework and discovered there are now less than 40 of these relics still in existence with the majority staying in the USA. I managed to track down another historic travelling cache currently in England called Hitchhiker 42 (GC1A74) and have arranged for their paths to meet for the first time ever my event! Surely bringing these fascinating caches together for one day will add another exciting chapter to their amazing journeys? Both CO's seemed happy with the idea. I personally think Events are a big part of "the spirit of Geocaching" as many cachers never get a chance to put faces to names or just talk passionately about the joys of caching with their peers! This particular event is the first in Glasgow for over 2 years and for many will be their first event. It should be great fun so if you're still feeling "very sad" why not come along? (GC3A830)

"Happy" hunting!

AMAZO

I'm with Amazo on this. I am biased certainly as I currently have Hitchhiker 42. I've been in touch with the CO of this cache and he is more than happy as to how it is being dealt with. These are rare caches and to offer cachers the opportunity to log them surely is a good thing? If a cacher manages to get a hold of one then why not share it with other cachers? It's a talking point, it can bring your local caching community together too.

I was planning on hiding the cache until I discovered that there was another one nearby(ish). Why not take advantage of this opportunity? Once those who wish to log it then it can go back in the wild?

Just my twopence worth.

I find it strange that the thread starter "motnahp" has 4 times as many posts on this forum than he/she has cache finds....great to see such an experienced cacher getting involved.

I find it strange that the thread starter "motnahp" has 4 times as many posts on this forum than he/she has cache finds....great to see such an experienced cacher getting involved.

Don't go there. Discuss the topic, not the poster. You convince no one by bringing up the numbers, even if some agree with you.

My take on this is that it is ultimately futile and frustrating trying to control others, especially when it has little real impact on yourself. And in keeping with that, I leave it to the OP and others to do as they see fit.

Don't go there. Discuss the topic, not the poster. You convince no one by bringing up the numbers, even if some agree with you.

My take on this is that it is ultimately futile and frustrating trying to control others, especially when it has little real impact on yourself. And in keeping with that, I leave it to the OP and others to do as they see fit.

Chrysalides, yeah thanks for that. (ps i was taught its only common courtesy to name who your addressing)

read what you typed, perhaps you should take heed of your own advice re trying to control others...

as you saw that was my first ever post on the forums, and you just confirmed why....guess i'll just leave you all to it, "its your baw" after all.

I'm content to keep things as they are. Consider the types of caches we can no longer submit and the types which have been permamently retired. Then consider what Groundspeak have offered as replacements - Waymarking and Challenges. Please, let's not lose any more of our legacy.

Edited by DragonsWest

Chrysalides, yeah thanks for that. (ps i was taught its only common courtesy to name who your addressing)

read what you typed, perhaps you should take heed of your own advice re trying to control others...

as you saw that was my first ever post on the forums, and you just confirmed why....guess i'll just leave you all to it, "its your baw" after all.

Hi, HC67. Forum post, quoting your post, I don't see the need to address you by your forum handle, but if that is so important to you, I aim to please.

I should clarify my post. The second part of my post is actually addressed to the OP, not to you. And you have a point there - if I mention who I'm addressing there, there would probably be less confusion.

As for the first part, I'm also just giving a bit of advice regarding forum etiquette regarding attacking posts based on the poster's stats, instead of the points they bring up. You are, of course, free to ignore all that, and continue to do so. I'm not trying to control you, I merely point it out as you don't appear to have posted here before. Perhaps I'm mistaken, probably I'm not appreciated. It won't ruin my day, or even my appetite for lunch. For someone who places such importance on common courtesy, I thought you might appreciate knowing the etiquette around here. Have fun either way.

Edited by Chrysalides

They may not bringing up the numbers but what about sock puppets which are against forum guidelines.

Well I would say if it bothers you that much, since there is nothing you can do about it, i would suggest you take it off your watchlist and move on.

SS

That was the most boring movie I have watched in a longtime, wish I had that time back.

Wow, it is strange to see two of my caches listed in the same forum; one rated too high and one rated too low. For the keep it moving cache - this cache has been everywhere. From submerged hides requiring scuda gear, to near the top of Mt Fuji (I took it to both places myself) and if you really want to get into difficulty try to figure out where pablomac left it. This can certainly rate a 5/5... difficulty five as you have to catch it and terrain five as it can be anywhere.

Yes it does get old that it mostly gets passed from person to person at events and i have been it correspondence with the recent finders to get it back out in the field and to "keep it moving". But it is only a game, which is my primary philosophy for geocaching, and people like playing with what is unique. There are several other moving caches around so go find one if you like...I currently know of one about 10 miles from my house that is waiting to find a park.

But if you are concerned that "Keep it Moving" is overrated for D/T and has become pocket lint, get off the computer and go find a cache...I would recommend GC17 as it is a beautiful hike and only rated 1/2.5.

Edited by nmartin

Looks like the owner just dumped the coords in the ocean.

Yes, the cache may actually be moving. I was in contact with a couple of cachers and it should be in the wild again sometime this year!!! whoo hoo.

I needed a holding place for the cache so people won't go looking and get disappointed; so i normally dump it about 100 miles from land. Although, I used to be a submarine officer and it did go submerged for a month or so with a buddy.

Edited by nmartin

Actually we walked quite a bit for GC12. It was not so bad in itself but it got us a bit tired before the GC17 snow slog I will tell ya. The road you were probably referring to in the pic was blocked that day. We probably walked a few miles on GC12. We parked in between GC12 and GC17 and walked to both from the same spot. So, depends how you get there to some extent.

Ditto for us on the parking. Although the hike from the quarry to GC12 was under a mile (and kinda boring), and the (longer) hike to GC17 was spectacular - one of my favorite short hikes, with a fantastic view of Mt Hood at the end.

Oh, pocket caches...I've logged a couple when handed to me at events, but never sought them out. I find them kinda quaint and amusing.

Edited by hydnsek

As some have mentioned the rating also figures in if the cache is placed in reflected ratings. Like left on an island or locked in a box where you need a combination. Would you find it on an island needing a boat with a rating 1/1?

(slightly off topic)

That also goes the same with Challenges by the way. If you had to find difficult 5/5 caches to complete the Challenge I would want the final to reflect that. (5s don't have to be 5/5 but could be examples of 5/1 or 1/5)

Until all the moving caches are gone don't spoil others fun. Like Webcams and Virtuals let them die naturally.

I have this cache at the moment and, yes, it was handed to me (not at an event) after going to extrordinany lengths to arrange, so I feel I deserve the Difficulty 5 rating.

But to ensure I also deserve the Terrain 5 rating it will be placed in a Terrain 5 position in a couple of days.

I have this cache at the moment and, yes, it was handed to me (not at an event) after going to extrordinany lengths to arrange, so I feel I deserve the Difficulty 5 rating.

But to ensure I also deserve the Terrain 5 rating it will be placed in a Terrain 5 position in a couple of days.

Nice to hear! Good luck. Eh, I wouldn't worry about it, many of the "Grandfathered Moving caches" just get passed around. I'm sure Groundspeak is well aware of this. I even know of a 2002 placed "Moving cache" that has always been nothing but a pocket cache passed around at events from day one. Of course it's not listed as a 5/5, nor do stats ho's from Buffalo, N.Y. mysteriously log it while it's in Glasgow, Scotland. :ph34r:

I'm ° - the forums just doesn't allow me to log in with that account

In regards to the latest move to Antarctica: That's just a parking position nmartin chose until the cache gets placed again. However I chatted to Anna who currently holds the cache yesterday. Jan Smith - http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/melburnian-68-conquers-everest-20120527-1zd30.html - who just returned from Elbrus asked her to join on an expedition to Mount Vinson around Christmas. Funny that.

The recent hides seem to be a bit up high in the T scale. Please keep in mind T5 caches attract T5 cachers which then place this box in a similar fashion. Eventually that streak will end. Currently the cache is still in Melbourne. Anna and I will place it on the weekend.

Cheers :)

Proud to have found this one in a fitting location for its D/T rating and accompanying attributes hopefully I found an equally as challenging hide.

I cherish our 5/5 finds as they are among the most memorably cache finds we have had, fortunately for me this cache was no exception. Still have reservations on the T5 rating :unsure: but still very happy to be now part of its history

Merci beaucoup

Cheers :D

TeamOaky

Edited by TeamOaky