Cache saturation/distance query

stooeyH

Hi,

I've started placing a couple of caches in my local area which are waiting for approval, I have also got my eye on a spot which I believe will be suitable for a small cache to contain trackables/swaps etc, it is however only 130m as the crow flies from a nano cache. But to walk to it the shortest possible distance is over 300 metres (buildings, railway track etc in the way).

In that kind of situation do you think the cache would be acceptable or is it a complete no-no?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

The saturation guideline uses straight-line distance, so this would be within the 161m. It is a guideline, though, not a rule. There is the rare cache that has been allowed to be placed under this distance when it's separated from the other cache by a major feature, such as a large river. If there isn't such a feature in your area, the likelihood is pretty low that it would be allowed. The best person to ask would be your local reviewer. They're the one that would have to OK it in the end anyway, so you should ask what they think.

There is the rare cache that has been allowed to be placed under this distance when it's separated from the other cache by a major feature, such as a large river.

I tried that to no avail. I placed two caches were about 250' away from each other. Unless you were superman and could jump 50' across a river, you had to walk a good 1/2 mile to get to the other side. Even though I explained that to the reviewer, he/she said that it was still too close. Kind of a bummer, but I moved it.

There is the rare cache that has been allowed to be placed under this distance when it's separated from the other cache by a major feature, such as a large river.

I tried that to no avail.

Yeah, it seems to vary area-to-area and reviewer-to-reviewer. Some will be more lenient, and others will stick to the guidelines religiously.

I tried that to no avail.

Yeah, it seems to vary area-to-area and reviewer-to-reviewer. Some will be more lenient, and others will stick to the guidelines religiously.

Ok, thanks for the info, i'll try and contact my reviewer.

Cheers

Chances are if they deliberate with other reviewers, you will end up with a stern no, unless you have a very, very good reason for it to exist that close. These days, you may only get it if the reviewer on a whim decides to publish it anyway. Reviewers are (by my experience, at least in SWO) getting far less lenient on average, due to subjectivity in interpreted guidelines and endless debates and drama. Either guidelines are clarified, or the line is drawn.

If it's someone else's cache that's close, see if you can talk to the CO and negotiate a compromise. Otherwise, you may get suggestions that if it's a couple of your own caches you want placed too close together, turn it into a single mutli-stage cache.