Waymarking App Android

I see noboday yet replied to this.

I have a slightly different request. First it would be nice to know how many Android using Waymarking hobbyists there are out there.

I use a Samsung tablette and am trying to determine if I can replace by old Garmin GPS with it. I downloaded a free app from Play Store called GPS Essentials. What I'm finding is that it isn't really great for Waymarking because, although you can create a waypoint based on your location, I have not been able to figure out how to export waypoints to my PC. The software says you can do it to an SD card but the Samsung tablette doesn't have an SD card interface.

It means I have to hand type coordinates into the Waymarking web site which is subject to errors.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Cheers,

RitC

I have a slightly different request. First it would be nice to know how many Android using Waymarking hobbyists there are out there.

I use a Samsung tablette and am trying to determine if I can replace by old Garmin GPS with it. I downloaded a free app from Play Store called GPS Essentials. What I'm finding is that it isn't really great for Waymarking because, although you can create a waypoint based on your location, I have not been able to figure out how to export waypoints to my PC. The software says you can do it to an SD card but the Samsung tablette doesn't have an SD card interface.

It means I have to hand type coordinates into the Waymarking web site which is subject to errors.

Cheers,

RitC

I pretty much exclusively use my Samsung Galaxy Nexus for Waymarking (use my phone and an Oregon for geocaching though).

The app GPS Essentials can export waypoints as a gpx or kml file. Here is the app manual https://4310b1a9-a-b...&attredirects=0

Edited by UMainah

Cheers,

RitC

I pretty much exclusively use my Samsung Galaxy Nexus for Waymarking (use my phone and an Oregon for geocaching though).

The app GPS Essentials can export waypoints as a gpx or kml file. Here is the app manual https://4310b1a9-a-b...&attredirects=0

Thank you for the manual to this application. I previously had difficulty accessing it via Google Play. However, I note there is only one reference to KML files in the doc and that is in relation to tracks. I didn't see any mention of the GPX functionality in the doc.

Does the Nexus have an SD card adapter? For the online help, it seemed to me that GPS essentials may require it for KML export. Unfortunately, the Tab 8.9 does not have one.

Cheers,

RitC

Thank you for the manual to this application. I previously had difficulty accessing it via Google Play. However, I note there is only one reference to KML files in the doc and that is in relation to tracks. I didn't see any mention of the GPX functionality in the doc.

Does the Nexus have an SD card adapter? For the online help, it seemed to me that GPS essentials may require it for KML export. Unfortunately, the Tab 8.9 does not have one.

It seems the manual might be out of date.

The Nexus doesn't have an SD card slot, only internal memory.

Here are the steps though.

Open up the app. Click on the Waypoint icon. Click the (+) plus symbol to add a new waypoint. Fill in the "Name" field and the description field if you want. Then click the ActionBar icon(aka the Menu Button, might look like three square dots or lines). Then chose the "Export" option. Default is KML, but if you click on that, a dropdown shows up that lets you choose KML(Google Earth), KML(Google Maps), GPX 1.0, or GPX 1.1. Choose whichever you want. After that you have two buttons to choose from. One is the "Share" button(three dots in the shape of a triangle) or the "Export" button. If you choose the Export button, the file will be saved to your storage. You can then access this storage by plugging your device into your computer with a usb cord. If you choose the "Share" button, it should give you some options to share the file with other app you may have installed For example it lets me send the file to my gmail app so I can email it to someone or myself, to my Dropbox account, to my Google Drive account, and a couple other options.

Edited by UMainah

If you choose the Export button, the file will be saved to your storage.

Is there a particular director it is saved to? I think I got as far as saving the KML file but then couldn't find it when I looked through the directory tree.

I'm not sure where exactly it would be saved to on your Galaxy Tab. Although my Galaxy Nexus doesn't have any SD Card capabilities, it still has a folder in the internal storage named sdcard0. This is where the app saved the gpx files I created when testing it out.

Thanks for this reference. The only problem I see is that the coordinate formats available do not include the format used by Groundspeak. Also, the manual says nothing about how to download waypoints, or if how to match them with photos taken. Maybe I can figure it out. It would be good to have a backup. Always have my Galaxy with me.

When you say virtual caching, do you mean literally Virtual Geocaching? Or are you using that as a pseudonym for Waymarking?

If it were geocaching, I would run a Pocket Query for only Geocaches, and import it into android app C:Geo.

I was just now wondering if a Waymarking gpx file could be imported into C:Geo?

We use an android for all our Waymarking and have it down to a science (as best we have been able to do without a specific app).

There are two needs for us. #1,Find waymarks near us. And #2, gathering the info we need for posting a waymark later at home on the PC or mac (although we have been known to post a waymark on the fly from the phone).

To gather info we use "Here I Am 2" in combination with "Evernote". Here I am will snag the coords and pass them off with a share to Evernote. Evernote snags the share with the coords and a google map link plus allows naming of that note to tell us what it was of or any other info we think we might need as well as attach a photo(s) to the new note started by the "here i am" share.

We default the note to a notebook named "waymarks to be done". Evernote on the phone then auto uploads the note to the cloud and therefore is ready on our mac or PC when we get back. We don't always use Evernote to keep the photo due to bandwidth limitations by Evernote on free accounts but do use the "Dropbox" app to take the camera roll and auto upload the camera shots to the dropbox which is also waiting for us on our mac or PC (this is not a default setting but it can be setup to do so in the settings of the Dropbox app). Its a pretty slick set up that allows for easy Waymarking info to be transferred effortlessly to the home computers.

Here's the procedure:

Launch "Here I Am 2"

After GPS lock up hit "share" from the apps menu.

Share the info with "Evernote"

This will auto launch the "Evernote" app and automatically create a note with your current lat and long along with a link to goggle maps to show it in a browser.

Name the note something that will remind you where you are.

If you want hit the camera button while editing the note and the camera app will launch on your phone and you can take a picture. The picture will be attached as part of the note.

Hit save from the note edit page.

The note is automatically uploaded to the cloud and will be waiting for you when you get home.

If you did not attach a pic, then go take one on the phone and via your setting in the "Dropbox" app your photos will auto load to the cloud and also be waiting for you when you get home to your PC.

On the road waymarks are submitted with the use of our Motorola Lapdock for our android. We take a shot on the camera, get coord with "here I am", and use the Lapdock with its keyboard, big screen, and firefox browser to submit the waymark. It's also how we do our visits on the fly. Picture on the phone pulls up on the Lapdock and the visit is easy to type up and upload the photo all in one easy motion. IF YOU DONT HAVE A MOTOROLA AND A LAPDOCK...... but have a tablet or Ipad of some sort.... use the app "Airdroid" It will allow you to access your phones pics and data via wifi. Our Ipad only has WiFi so we turn on the hotspot from our phone to allow it to link up to the internet as well as our android's data all at once.

Finding waymarks near us is a bit more tedious but I found a way to do it without knowing what town I am in or typing coords into a tricky search on Waymarking. It can be done without typing but you have to follow along on this:

Use "cgeo" app for the first step in this process. Cgeo app will locate geocaches near you based on the GPS in your android.

Launch the app.

Pick "nearby" from the main menu of the app.

Pick the nearest cache regardless of your interest in it or geocaching.

When the info for that cache has loaded into your phone, from the menu pick "open in browser" and proceed to open in your phone browser.

When the cache page is pulled and loaded in your android browser scroll to the middle or near bottom of the page to "find nearest waymarks" and click.

This will direct your browser to a search of waymarks based on your current coordinates.

Waa-la, with no knowledge of what town you are in or what your GPS lat long is, all the nearby waymarks are listed by distance from your present location as if you knew where you were (which we usually don't)

So that's how we do it on an android without a specific app. It works clean enough and keeps us from "typing on glass" which we despise. Try it out.

Edited by dnrseekers

Note to all: Do not discuss the use of the unauthorized geocaching application any further. Any further discussion will cause thread to be locked and hidden. Discussion of general use of android apps is fine. Discussion of fi67's handy nearest waymark page is fine.

Edited by BruceS

Any chance of listing what the "authorized" geocaching apps are so that we don't inadvertently mention an "unauthorized" one?

Here are some:

http://www.geocaching.com/live/partners/

There are other apps not listed, since they don't use the Live API, but are still ok to use. Apps like GeoBeagle and such which require you to import PQs/GPXs ahead of time. They don't access geocaching.com in real-time.

Any chance of listing what the "authorized" geocaching apps are so that we don't inadvertently mention an "unauthorized" one?

There was only one geocaching application mentioned by you and others prior to the previous post in this thread. As far as I know it is the only unauthorized geocaching application.

Edited by BruceS

If you choose the Export button, the file will be saved to your storage.

Is there a particular director it is saved to? I think I got as far as saving the KML file but then couldn't find it when I looked through the directory tree.

I'm not sure where exactly it would be saved to on your Galaxy Tab. Although my Galaxy Nexus doesn't have any SD Card capabilities, it still has a folder in the internal storage named sdcard0. This is where the app saved the gpx files I created when testing it out.

Just a follow up on this, in fact I now can save the waypoints on my Tab as either GPX or KML files so it does work fine. I don't know why I was having some difficulty before.

The camera app of phone will embed GPS coordinates in a photo. Somewhere on the settings of app is USE GPS. But have to wait one minute before coords are accurate enough. Not sure my phone camera is good enough.

Still use a LEICA D-LUX and old fashioned hand held GPSr, which I put down whilst taking pix. Then after one minute or more I photograph GPSr display as last photo of series showing coords. One photo each day is of GPSr time to nearest second ie HH MM SS. As camera time is also set. This picture shows the difference between GPSr time and camera time. Then when I stitch coords into images I know the time difference. Coords stitching is called GEOCODING. The best app is ZONER'S photo studio. Others are geosetter, geotag?

Once WM is published I delete COORDS image.

There is one Android Waymarking app in development. I am not connected with it. Merely found it by accidental search. Its mention was deleted from the official FB Waymarking.com page.

Search for WAY(another word for ape or chimpanzee) rolleyes.gif

In the meantime let's find ways round the lack of API.

There was only one geocaching application mentioned by you and others prior to the previous post in this thread. As far as I know it is the only unauthorized geocaching application.