Travel Bug missing

Haveachip

A cacher logged that they had discovered my travel bug but when asked what they had done with it they said they hadn't discovered it , but another cacher who had placed the travelbug in cache a week earlier had given them the trackable number?

The trackeable is no longer in the cache apparantly - Cache is in Austria - I'm from UK.

I'm guessing I will have to log this as missing now.

Is there a geocaching.com or Groundspeak body, that monitors strange activities such as this? Or is this normal?

Very annoying :(

Many thanks

A cacher logged that they had discovered my travel bug but when asked what they had done with it they said they hadn't discovered it , but another cacher who had placed the travelbug in cache a week earlier had given them the trackable number?

The trackeable is no longer in the cache apparantly - Cache is in Austria - I'm from UK.

I'm guessing I will have to log this as missing now.

Is there a geocaching.com or Groundspeak body, that monitors strange activities such as this? Or is this normal?

Very annoying :(

Many thanks

If they are saying that they didn't see the real travelbug, they only logged it from the tracking number they were given, then this is "virtual logging". Groundspeak does not support the practice of virtual logging and you can delete that log. If you wish, you can also edit your trackables page to add a note to the effect that you WILL delete all virtual logs.

Some geocachers create lists of trackable numbers that they've seen either at events, or from photographs of trackables they've found online where the owner has accidentally shown the tracking number. These lists are then circulated around so others can log them. Why? - Apparently it's so they can increase their statistics of Number of Trackables Moved/Discovered. Madness, eh?

I guess all this refers to your Amy's travel bug dog tag. As it's been reported as defintely not in the cache I'd mark it as Missing, as you've suggested, but don't give up on it totally - It could yet turn up somewhere else in Europe!

MrsB :)

I have followed all kinds of conversations in this Forum but have yet to find my problem represented (lest I overlooked it)…and therefore I'm turning to you MrsB for help…HELP! I placed a trackable in December of 2011 and somehow it keeps showing up in other places but will not track on the map…no matter what I do (and I probably did too many things already to the poor little guy… :(

What's going on and what can I do to rectify the situation and get him on the right track…?

Edited by ApuGram

I have followed all kinds of conversations in this Forum but have yet to find my problem represented (lest I overlooked it)…and therefore I'm turning to you MrsB for help…HELP! I placed a trackable in December of 2011 and somehow it keeps showing up in other places but will not track on the map…no matter what I do (and I probably did too many things already to the poor little guy… :(

What's going on and what can I do to rectify the situation and get him on the right track…?

You are speaking of Old Yeller , right?

At least that is the one that isn't being logged or tracked properly (it does help if you tell us which one you are referring to).

It appears to me that you have it in your 'Collection'. The TB page says it is your hands but it appears to be in Hawaii. People cannot log it into or out of a cache while it is in your Collection. No log in/out = no mileage.

You should contact 2Moms1Family to let the know the situation. You need to 'grab' it from them, move it from your Collection into your inventory, then they can 'grab it back from you. It can then continue it's journey as should be.

Failing that, you still need to grab and do the collection/inventory change while it is not in somebody's hands, unless they are aware.

Edit to add: Communication is the key.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I use www.tb-rescue.com. of cause it only works if the TB is still in the cache. But it also make the locals aware that it might be missing.

I started a TB race in June 2010, 6 coins started in las vegas and was heading for Denmark.

1 made it home

1 made it to Europe and has been sitting in the same cache for the past 130+ days

1 is still moving around in the US

1 disappeared in Germany

2 have been held by american geocacher for more than 580 days!

See their progress at: http://www.tb-run.com/show-race-VEGASTOSKANDERBORG.html

I hate loosing my bugs...

We are relatively new to geocaching and are enjoying it immensely. Believing finding caches was only half the fun I decided to be creative and build a somewhat unique cache for our first hide.

To commemorate our first cache we included a "Quackers the Duck" TB. The FTF cacher noted in his log he has the TB yet he has not moved it to his inventory. As was mentioned elsewhere in this forum "communication is the key". I have reached out to the FTF cacher twice via email asking him to move the travel bug to his inventory. He has neither responded to me nor has he done anything with the TB. According to his profile he has logged four TB's before, so he should know how to do it.

What do I do now? Mark it as missing? I'm not sure what the protocol is in this situation.

Thanks,

Don

/WeTravel

1. On the one hand, I'm not convinced that the FTF retriever of your travel bug knows the procedures. I noticed they logged two "found its" on your cache, the second of which was to "mark" the retrieval of the TB, whatever that means. :blink: At some future point in time, you would be within your rights to delete the second "found it" log, and use that cache page cleanup task as an opportunity to write a polite email to the finder, explaining why you deleted their log.

2. On the other hand, your cache was published and the TB was retrieved three weeks ago. If you've already written multiple times to the retriever, that's a bit over-eager. Many geocachers, including myself, don't bother with moving trackables because of this common over-eagerness.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I wouldn't mark it missing as yet.

You know which cacher has it but it's a bit frustrating that they haven't logged it out of your cache correctly... never mind. They haven't logged any other finds since your cache either so I'd keep your fingers crossed that they drop it off into the next suitably sized cache. As they haven't retrieved it properly they won't be able to correctly do the drop-off into the new cache either... <_<

Maybe at that point they'll realise what they need to do... or they'll drop it off, realise they don't have the tracking number and then come to these forums to ask what they should do next...

Hopefully the cacher who finds it in its next cache will know what to do with trackables and will be able to log it correctly and get it back on course. :)

MrsB

1. On the one hand, I'm not convinced that the FTF retriever of your travel bug knows the procedures. I noticed they logged two "found its" on your cache, the second of which was to "mark" the retrieval of the TB, whatever that means. :blink: At some future point in time, you would be within your rights to delete the second "found it" log, and use that cache page cleanup task as an opportunity to write a polite email to the finder, explaining why you deleted their log.

2. On the other hand, your cache was published and the TB was retrieved three weeks ago. If you've already written multiple times to the retriever, that's a bit over-eager. Many geocachers, including myself, don't bother with moving trackables because of this common over-eagerness.

First of all, thank you for volunteering and helping out newbies (such as /WeTravel) to make this sport better.

Re:#1 - The finder had logged in four TB's previously so I "assumed" he knew what he was doing. However, the "mark"-ing the retrieval had me scratching my head as well. I will clean-up the cache page at some point and then take your advice and contact the finder.

Re:#2 - I waited almost two weeks before contacting the finder, and then only to ask if he needed help logging the TB. The second contact was to politely ask him to log it. I think most in our sport that cache as a team have a routine, I know my partner and I do. I set up the GPS for the next location and she logs the find (and any trackables)on her iPhone. I realize not everybody has a smart phone app to do this, but I would like to think cachers like to log in at their earliest convenience. I know I'm disappointed when a trackable that is supposed to be there isn't. OK, maybe I'm too anal in that regard but if you don't want to log finds then - according to the Geocaching regulations - you shouldn't be geocaching in the first place.

Thank you for your response to my original post, I appreciate your input.

I wouldn't mark it missing as yet.

You know which cacher has it but it's a bit frustrating that they haven't logged it out of your cache correctly... never mind. They haven't logged any other finds since your cache either so I'd keep your fingers crossed that they drop it off into the next suitably sized cache. As they haven't retrieved it properly they won't be able to correctly do the drop-off into the new cache either... <_<

Maybe at that point they'll realise what they need to do... or they'll drop it off, realise they don't have the tracking number and then come to these forums to ask what they should do next...

Hopefully the cacher who finds it in its next cache will know what to do with trackables and will be able to log it correctly and get it back on course. :)

MrsB

MrsB,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will just forget about this issue for a while and see what happens. Hopefully, everything will straighten itself out (although I'm not too optimistic about that). I am considering dropping another TB in the cache and see if that one fairs any better.

Send the finder a link on how to log a trackable. Found at the top of this forum.

Another thought is they haven't logged it yet because between the cache and the computer, they might have misplaced it temporarily, and they don't have the tracking number handy. Or as Mrs. B said, they have dropped it off but forgot to write down the tracking number.