How best to ask for permission.

Bloodheart

Not ready to hide my first cache yet, but I'm wondering how best to ask permission as all three cache ideas I have in mind may require permission; two in graveyards and one near a cafe in an arts centre - the latter in theory should be the easiest, the two former I really think I would have to ask permission or put near the site rather than in the site which isn't ideal.

Any thoughts on how one should go about asking permission to place a cache?

Cemeteries are usually owned or at least 'administered' by somebody. You need to find the administrator. Some are private, many are owned by differing communities: townships, cities, counties, villages, etc.

Many areas have very specific laws regarding cemetery uses, also. Sorry to say that some have banned geocaching as an acceptable activity in cemeteries. You definitely need permission for placement therein. Outside of, well... that depends upon who owns that property.

It depends on the are where you want to place your cache. I would suggest waiting a few months and finding a bunch of caches before you decide to hide one of your own. Most of the time this will give you a much better understanding of where and how caches tend to be hidden in your area. Permission is a very vague thing due to the unlimited situations you can encounter.

My basic approach has been to find someone who appears to have some level of authority, and to ask them whom I would need to contact for permission to place the geocache. If they don't have the necessary authority, then they should be able to refer you to someone who does.

Always ask in person rather than by email or letter. Bring examples. Offer to take the land manager out Geocaching. Be prepared to answer lots of questions. Bring some Geocaching brochures and sample cache page printouts. Dress nice and be professional. Be prepared to hear "no" for an answer and still remain calm and kind.

Ruled out Art Centre cache, but the two cemetery caches I'm still up for investigating further as they're two beautiful locations with a lot of history - one in the city centre yet many people may not be aware of the very interesting history, one further out which is less well-known and which may benefit from acknowledgement as it requires support via visitors etc. to help keep refurbishment on-track.

Potential cache #1. Catholic church so may be tough to get permission - would have to be formal, given historical significance chances are I'd have to stick to a micro near and not inside (shame as scouted out today and some really wonderful places to hide caches inside without disturbing the building or going near graves), paths used by the public but still very quiet given the central city location.

Potential cache #2. Cemetery cared for by locals, may be easier to get permission and being a large cemetery out of the city centre easier to hide a cache.

It's just a matter of figuring out how best to approach the subject with them, I'm thinking of scouting out the locations and taking photo's or logging details of possible locations for cache, include in a letter or email (in person not an option FYI) what geocaching is, benefit of visitors to the site and that the vast majority of us would be respectful as well as help keep the area looking beautiful. Chances are if done this way I'd have to give full details of where the cache would be and the description of the cache as it would be if published, which means risking doing a lot of work for nothing.

Again - newbie, I AM waiting for a little while yet, just planning ahead.

AS I come from a catholic family but not catholic myself.. this migh be usefull... talk the cathlic priest that geocaching promotes peolple to prevent a sinfull life... and sweet talk him to believe that geocaching breings people closer to GOD and Jesus... that might be the way to go with the catholic cementery.. if you have the priest's permission- he will help you go forward.

For the cemeteries, you might be better off placing the cache just outside the cemeteries or placing a cache that requires you to visit a sepecific grave or graves to get data then takes them to the physical cache located somewhere nearby but outside the graveyard.

For businessnes, just ask to speak to the manager. Keep in mind caches must not be commercial so you can place it near a cafe, but shouldn't really directly mention the cafe's name in the description.