Waypoints

Nozzle52

My wife and I both have a Garmin 60csx. Our technique has resulted in many "spot on coord" comments. We select the hiding spot and walk away about 75 feet (each of us in a different direction). We then walk back to the hiding spot in a close to straight line as we can. Do not stop until you are on top of the hiding place and hit "mark". We have found we are rarely more than 1 or 2 number apart. Your GPS seems to do it's best job when in motion particularly in a straight line. Averaging we get wildly different readings. We then plug in the resultant numbers into each others GPS and test. More often than not my wife's Garmin is slightly more accurate. If it is a tough area (bounce, heavy canopy) and a tough hide, we will wait or come back to test the numbers one more time. No one ever chased us with the bad coords stick using this method :D

Many units have an averaging function built in. However, I believe it is generally overrated and doesn't always improve the coordinates enough to make much of a difference.

I agree. If you have a good signal you really don't need to average. If you have a bad signal you're averaging bad data and would probably need to average over a period of days to get a significant improvement in coords.

It may sound odd but for the most part the few times I get complaints about coords is when I have averaged. That is because if I have a good signal I don't bother averaging.