Permission for cache

nevyn1

I am new to geocaching and have noticed that there are several caches the state parks. Do you have to ask permission for each cache or is it okay because they already gave the nod to the ones that are there? I also noticed that there aren't any in the national parks in my area. Who do you ask permission from for these sites? Do to a cast on the leg I haven't been able to get out and am anxious to get started finding and have a few ideas for new caches.

The State Park just outside of town here has plenty of caches but they still require permission for every single one. There are some places in the park where caches are prohibited due to jurisdiction problems. Others areas are protected due to endangered species. Every park will be different. Talk to your reviewer and to the park managers.

So national parks are off limits unless they are are virtual caches. But I do see them in National forests. I will have to find the reviewer for my area.

National Forests and National Parks are two different entities.

NPS parent agency is the Department of Interior, USFS parent agency is the Department of Agriculture.

These agencies have differing objectives over the lands they control, so doctrines will differ.

Somewhat easy to do, but try not to confuse the two.

Edit: context

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

So national parks are off limits unless they are are virtual caches. But I do see them in National forests. I will have to find the reviewer for my area.

There are physical caches in National Parks. You need to work with the park ranger to get permission to place a physical cache on NPS property. As you know virtual caches are no longer listed. Earthcaches require permission of the land manager. Some National Forest lands restrict caches, some don't. Again ask the ranger. A lot of the BLM managed land is available for caching, but some specifically prohibits caches. Again, ask the appropriate management office.

One of the quickest ways to find your reviewer is to look at published log at the bottom of a new cache in your area. Look them up and email them and they should be able to answer your questions.

I've found serveral caches but most of them I doubt if they where hidden with permission. Cemetaries, national forests, under bridges, I doubt it if our government gives permissions. They don't want to be responsable if something happens.

And about responsability, what about the risk of finding the cache. I want to hide a cache under water. But what if some falls into the water when he's searching for it? Am I responsable? The owner of the land where it happened? The man who gave permission? Or is geocaching at own risk, like all other outdoorsports?

Or is geocaching at own risk, like all other outdoorsports?

At the top of each cache page is the following text:

Please note

Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

That disclaimer starts with the text:

Geocaching.com Disclaimer

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache.

I've found serveral caches but most of them I doubt if they where hidden with permission. Cemetaries, national forests, under bridges, I doubt it if our government gives permissions. They don't want to be responsable if something happens.

Many governmental agencies throughout the world support geocaching, either directly or indirectly. It is a recreation that entices people to come to and use their facilities and resources. Without such they, as a government agency, may cease to exist. Not saying that without geocaching that they would die a slow death, but it is another method of creating more visitor numbers in order to justify their existence. Nothing wrong with that!

Different agencies have different objectives. In some cases, geocaching may conflict with those objectives. Just for clarity, in the U.S., the National Park system is not anti-geocaching, they are just restrictive of geocaching.

Most all of those agencies have policies regarding land use. In many of those jurisdictions, they desire to know HOW the land under their control is being used. As a result, permits may well be required, rightly so.

Many governmental agencies throughout the world support geocaching, either directly or indirectly. It is a recreation that entices people to come to and use their facilities and resources. Without such they, as a government agency, may cease to exist. Not saying that without geocaching that they would die a slow death, but it is another method of creating more visitor numbers in order to justify their existence. Nothing wrong with that!

Different agencies have different objectives. In some cases, geocaching may conflict with those objectives. Just for clarity, in the U.S., the National Park system is not anti-geocaching, they are just restrictive of geocaching.

Most all of those agencies have policies regarding land use. In many of those jurisdictions, they desire to know HOW the land under their control is being used. As a result, permits may well be required, rightly so.

Because of this approaching park managment about caching can be a great way to not only get your cache going but get some great tips for other caches on their land.

Juat last weekend I was talking with the Naturalist at the local state park about the CITO we are having there. We got to talking about cache types and I metioned Earthcaches. She pointed me to a feature in the park I had never seen. Now they will have one more reason for folks to come to their park and cachers will have one more cache to find.