Travel Bugs

hwhaler

I've gotten more interested in travel bugs recently, and I think the following additions to the site might be useful:

1) The ability to search for travel bugs by city and state, zip code, or coordinates (just as you can for caches). That way, if your intention is to grab a travel bug, you can quickly filter the list of nearest caches that contain travel bugs. Currently, you can only search for travel bugs specifically by keywords in the name.

2) This would be more work, but could be interesting. Right now, you can type in a specific goal in words. What would you think about adding an optional dropdown list for a general geographic goal (e.g. "California") for the travel bug? This way, if I'm going on a trip to California soon, I can search for bugs whose goal is to reach the state of California. Of course, Item 1 listed above would need to be implemented first so that I can limit my search to caches near me for a bug with this goal.

So, can this be done by tomorrow? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by hwhaler:

1) The ability to search for travel bugs by city and state, zip code, or coordinates (just as you can for caches). That way, if your intention is to grab a travel bug, you can quickly filter the list of nearest caches that contain travel bugs. Currently, you can only search for travel bugs specifically by keywords in the name.

So, can this be done by tomorrow? icon_wink.gif

Um, yes. Provided you're a charter member. Pocket Queries (specialized queries that result in loc files, GPX files or PDA readable files) can send a list via e-mail of caches within 100 miles (or 20 or 10, etc.) that have Travel Bugs in them.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Fallenfaery:

ah...now i feel obligated to become a member before i leave for florida...ugh...i can't afford it but most feed the addiction icon_smile.gif

Try the one-month membership option. $3 is a lot less painful than $30, you can see if you like the pocket queries and other benefits, and it'll get you through your trip!

Gawd, I feel like a Groundspeak shill... and I'm not even seeing commissions!

Anyways, have a great visit to Florida.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.