seeking just one FTF can you set notifications to include co-ordinates

splashandfluke

Just upgraded to premium membership so now my blackberry curve 8520 sends me an email when new caches are published in our area, but alas this is useless to me as it does not give co-ordinates to put into my garmen Etrex H, anyone got any tips to help.

Is there an option to get the text from the cache page sent to you in an email. I never have enough network coverage to get on the site, so would have to drive home and sign onto the PC to get the details. Was hoping to be able to cache on the move while out and about.

Any help much appreciated.

Just upgraded to premium membership so now my blackberry curve 8520 sends me an email when new caches are published in our area, but alas this is useless to me as it does not give co-ordinates to put into my garmen Etrex H, anyone got any tips to help.

Is there an option to get the text from the cache page sent to you in an email. I never have enough network coverage to get on the site, so would have to drive home and sign onto the PC to get the details. Was hoping to be able to cache on the move while out and about.

Any help much appreciated.

There are geocaching apps for the Blackberry:

I don't know how good the GPS is on the 8520 Blackberry (it stinks on my 9700 Bold compared with my etrex) but it should get you in the general area.

Another alternative is the WAP site (wap.geocaching.com). It's a low tech (2G?), low bandwidth mobile device website. Once you have the code via the email you could enter the code on the WAP website and get the co-ordinates. (And it's free).

As far as I know, there is no way to customize the notification email. Seems like putting all the relevant details right at the beginning of the email would be prudent (diff/terr, coordinates, miles from home), but about the best you get is the "GC" number of the cache, so if you are without internet access in the field, getting an FTF is a real challenge. I use an iPhone now, but I never used to get any FTFs before that unless I was sitting at a computer when I got the notification. Frustrating... perhaps there is some legal reason that Groundspeak does not send out coordinate info by email.

Thank you, the curve 8520, doesn't have a GPS, so I enter the co-ordinates in manually on the etrex H, I was just emailing a sheet to myself, or adding a load to the notes on the blackberry, but was hoping when upgrading to premium membership to save some time and maybe get a ftf will try the wap website

I have the Geocache Navigator app on my BB but it often fails to use the GPS onboard.

It has other cache lookup modes, however....by GCcode, coords, address, and some others.

I've used my GPSr to get my location and then entered that into the BB to find what was near me,

and it does work. You'll still need a phone connection, but you can live without the GPS connection

if you know your location in some manner or know what caches you're looking up.

My biggest issue with the app is that it does not show all information regarding the cache....in particular

whether it's active or archived....sometimes you can get useful info from reading the logs, but the overall

status is not shown.

Notifications are set up just to notify you. If you really want to narrow stuff down, you can reduce the radius and then you'll KNOW it's in the spot. For example, if I chose 41.8195, -88.13424 as the center and set the radius of 1.2 miles, I'd get notified of the caches in the Herrick Lake and Danada West area in Wheaton, IL.

But including the information in the notification? Nope. It's been requested quite a bit, but the bottom line is that you should visit the site to get the information before trouncing off to find it. What if there's a note that says "Anyone that attempts this cache without knowing the super secret password in the encrypted hint below will likely be shot by the local loon that lives nearby".

So, either find some way to visit the cache page before going out, or resign to not worrying about the FTF game (I do both).

Groundspeak wants you to visit their website to get the co-ordinates.

It's certainly possible there may be important information in the listing (if you bother to actually read it before scribbling down the co-ordinates).

I think it's equally possible that Groundspeak wants you to visit their site so they can justify their advertising charges based on site traffic. :unsure:

Groundspeak wants you to visit their website to get the co-ordinates.

It's certainly possible there may be important information in the listing (if you bother to actually read it before scribbling down the co-ordinates).

I think it's equally possible that Groundspeak wants you to visit their site so they can justify their advertising charges based on site traffic. :unsure:

Probably both. :lol:

This is normal. Every FTF hound has to visit the website to see coordinates. WAP is your best solution. If you were American, and American only, I'd tell you that there is a very little known, and very little utilized set-up where you can send a text message inquiry, and receive basic cache information (Cache name, terrain, difficulty and coordinates) back via a text message, but as I said, only works in the USA as shortcodes are country specific. But never mind that, use WAP.