A favourite DNF

I noticed this on line log on a tricky hide in our area:

--------------------------------------------------------------

[:(][:(][:(]Hmmmmmm well top marks for this one!!!![:(][:(][:(][:(]

Came across this more by luck than judgement We went to pick up Doomed to die 6 and somehow took a wrong turn but carried on driving as there on the Sat-Nav a cache had popped up and we where only 40m from it pulled up 4m away didn’t even set GPSr had a quick look around it then back to van to get iPad looked up info and carried looking for another 20 mins only to be interrupted by university security,[:o] had a good chat to them and explained Geocaching to them they said so long as I didn't put turbine in the back of my van for scrap metal they didn't care and they let me carry on with my search but still no luck gave up once police car started circling around a couple of times.

I will be back with Geokids...... Will give a fav point for this even though it’s not found as yet…..[:(]

------------------------------------------------------------------

I quite liked the idea that it doesn't matter whether it was found or not, if you enjoyed the hunt/site then why not give it a favourite. Has anybody else done this?

There are a few DNFed caches I would like to favorite because of the experience alone, but it isn't an option until you log a found log for that geocache. At least from what I can see.

So log a found it, favorite it then change your log type to dnf.

Can you do that? I never thought of that before. Like the OP, I have also come across a couple of caches that I would like to Favorite even though I didn't find them. I think I eventually went back and found them so it's a moot point, but it would be nice to have the option.

There are a few DNFed caches I would like to favorite because of the experience alone, but it isn't an option until you log a found log for that geocache. At least from what I can see.

Can you do that? I never thought of that before. Like the OP, I have also come across a couple of caches that I would like to Favorite even though I didn't find them. I think I eventually went back and found them so it's a moot point, but it would be nice to have the option.

Feel free to try it as many times as you'd like on some of my caches. :lol:

Ah, I remember now reading in the forums about someone doing that. Apparently, the cache GCY9YG I searched for was archived several years ago, so I'll probably just wait until I get back to Tennessee to log the active one there instead.

Edited by aka Momster

I just tried it on a great cache I dnf'd years ago. It didn't work. I tried two different ways:

I clicked on "found it", gave it a fave, then went back and changed the log to a note. It took away the fave point. So I tried "found it", gave it a fave, then deleted the find. It took away the favorite point again. Too bad.

After thinking about it though, I can understand the reasoning. I really did climb a mountain looking for the cache, but if you could give favorite points without even being near it,

"armchair favoriting" would allow caches to receive thousands of favorite points just because they seem cool.

I think our favorite DNF occurred a couple days ago.

Went to "Ruins on Hackberry Creek" GC3A6D1

We found many old foundations, a few deep trench-like holes (made of concrete) that had trees growing from them, a well, lots of bricks & some tires all piled up on one foundation.

We'll definitely have to make a trip back out that way. But it may be a while since we usually only go caching on the weekends & it's 2 hrs drive away. The cache page doesn't say what used to be here nor what happened, so in the meantime, I have attempted to find out online to no avail.

Hey!

That's my cache... think it may have even been my first hide and it's proving to be quite fun to watch the logs on the cache page!

It's also my favorite cache of the ones I have out as it's a different type of container from most of the ones in the area.

Not going to give away what it is but it can be a bit of a needle in a haystack search for the cache! I had to spend the best part of an hour looking for it once after a stretch of DNF's on it - someone had put it back in a slightly different place to where I had originally hidden it and I just couldn't find it!

Reminds me... must go take a peek on my way home from work and make sure that it is actually still there...

Wow! Ssome great locales. Small wonder anyone would like to fave them on that alone. I've only faved a few on location, when the cache itself wasn't much to write home about. If the cache page has a good write-up or points out some really neat little feature, most visitors would miss, it'll get one. Generally I hand out faves for well done caches/hides or something which makes me laugh out loud (there have been a few!)