Emailing fellow Geocachers

I have been geocaching for just over a year now, with about 50% of that as a premium member. In that time I have had cause to replace logs in caches because they are either soaked or full and move caches because their original location has either been disturbed by other outside forces. These are not my caches but I consider it helping the original CO and keeping them going for other users. Obviously I immediately contact the CO to tell them what I have done and if they minded me doing it. I have had four separate instances of this where I know for certain the CO has acted on the information I have sent them. Do I get any thanks or even an acknowledgement back. NO I DO NOT AND I AM MORE THAN A LITTLE ANNOYED AT THE IGNORANCE OF THESE SO CALLED GEOCACHERS I DON'T THINK I WILL BOTHER IN FUTURE. AT LEAST REPLY EVEN IF IT IS TO TELL ME TO LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR THE CO TO SORT OUT THEMSELVES.

While I am sure you were doing it to be nice and kind hearted.....

Your rant in the OP makes it sound as though you took care of those caches in hopes of some praise and thank-yous. Maybe you should just accept that you helped out a fellow cache hider and some future finders and leave it at that.

Are you sure that you have the box checked that says I want to send my email address along with this message?

You don't need to check the box. Emails in or out can be sent through the Groundspeak site.

They can be sent, yes. But if the recipient tries to reply directly to your email, they will be sending it to noreply@Groundspeak.com, and not to you.

Sure, they could go to your profile and reply to you from there, but many may not realize that they have to do that.

Are you sure that you have the box checked that says I want to send my email address along with this message?

You don't need to check the box. Emails in or out can be sent through the Groundspeak site.

They can be sent, yes. But if the recipient tries to reply directly to your email, they will be sending it to noreply@Groundspeak.com, and not to you.

Sure, they could go to your profile and reply to you from there, but many may not realize that they have to do that.

Or simply don't care to take the effort. Clicking reply is much easier.

I don't mind anyone replacing my logsheets if they are damaged or soaking wet. But I do have a series and part of a series that replacing without notifying me may hurt other cachers trying to complete the series. Those I would like to be contacted or I would contact the cacher maintaining them to put the right logsheet with code in it.

I email cache owners often for many issues.

I think my rate of getting an email back is somewhere around 40%.

The response percentage is the same no matter what I email them.

I've just accepted that's the way it is.

I don't know why, perhaps they opened their account here with an email address they don't use, I don't know, but it doesn't matter. That's just the way it is.

Ranting on the forums or getting all upset about it doesn't change the fact. It doesn't make people reply more, those are the people not on the forums.

I just let it go.

If I replace a log it's for the next cacher anyway, so what the heck.

If this is the biggest thing in your life you've got to rant about today count your blessings. Go home and kiss your husband/ children/ mother/ cat/ goldfish, whatever you've got. If you don't have any of those thank God for the peace and quiet. :)

When we fix caches or fix logs I just state what we did in the log and leave it at that. If we can't fix the problem then I log a NM. I never move a cache from the spot that I found the cache in. I might hide it a little better then I found it but I never move the cache. Some COs just don't care about their caches so why would they care about your email. Try using the NEEDS Maintenance log next time and if that doesn't work use the good ole needs archive. Good luck

Edited by the4dirtydogs

If they don't email you back and complain about meddling with their cache, assume it's alright.

I found a cache on Leap Day which was surrounded by new sprouts of Poison Oak (my deadly nemesis!!) alerted CO about the presence of the plant, also included mention in my log entry, but didn't move it.

On Saturday I added some camo tape (a door prize from Leap Day event) to a container which was highly visible from the trail, to improve its lifespan. Also added some fresh log sheets (Rite in Rain) to some caches where the log was full. Haven't heard a peep. I usually don't.

I do appreciate it when someone spots something amiss with one of my caches and sees after it, which I'll usually follow up on. I send off a 'Thanks' note in some cases.

Best to use your own judgement and hone it as your local caching community accepts, some may be more grateful or more resentful, you never really know.

and move caches because their original location has either been disturbed by other outside forces. These are not my caches but I consider it helping the original CO

A little bit above and beyond IMO, that's not what i'd consider the protocol, if the cache becomes muggled / eaten by a fox / washed away in the rain etc. etc. it's for the CO to rectify, if they don't, geocachers will log DNF's and notes which will eventually lead to archiving.

I wouldn't consider you moving my geocache a favour to be honest. Replacing log books: fine.

Edited by Z3ROIN

Don't move the cache! I had someone actually go into a land trust to find my cache, with a pair of hedge clippers, to 'clear the area' for the cache, and he moved it. We had a civil discussion at an event about why not to do that, and why not to write in your log online, on a cache hidden at the land manager's request, that you went in with garden tools to chop at the foliage.

Yes, I was peeved, I went back and put it where I wanted, but now look at it from my point of view. I now had to take some time, an afternoon, drive 16 unplanned miles, that I could have spent exploring and caching somewhere new, and go see if any damage was done, and put it back in place.

I have replaced many log books/sheets but I only note that in my log, I don't always email the owner. Sometimes they say thank you. Not always, not mostly.

I have had people add logsheets for my caches. In that case, I try to remember to write a public thank you on the cache page.

But I don't expect or demand people thank me, or acknowledge it. That takes time out of their day. Right now, I'm giving you a reply from my phone, and I can't wait to get to the end of my reply. I have things to do. LOL!

It's very nice to help a cache owner, but remember, random acts of kindness are best done quietly, for no reward other than a good feeling that you did something nice for your fellow human being.

Dadgum it people. Don't you know that Geocaching is social media. The rules say you have to interact with one another. The rules say when you find a cache you have to share your experience online. The rules say when you don't find a cache you have to share your experience online. If move a travel bug you must log that online. Certainly if someone sends you an email through the system you have to reply to it?

Of course, it's nice to practice good etiquette and use the features of geoaching.com to thank others for helping with the game. BUT IT IS NOT A RULE. You can't force good etiquette on anyone, and you should probably learn not to expect it.

Dadgum it people. Don't you know that Geocaching is social media. The rules say you have to interact with one another. The rules say when you find a cache you have to share your experience online. The rules say when you don't find a cache you have to share your experience online. If move a travel bug you must log that online. Certainly if someone sends you an email through the system you have to reply to it?

Of course, it's nice to practice good etiquette and use the features of geoaching.com to thank others for helping with the game. BUT IT IS NOT A RULE. You can't force good etiquette on anyone, and you should probably learn not to expect it.

You don't have to do any of that. Their are cachers who dont log their find, many dont log DNF's and number of tb's that don't get logged is huge.

and move caches because their original location has either been disturbed by other outside forces. These are not my caches but I consider it helping the original CO

A little bit above and beyond IMO, that's not what i'd consider the protocol, if the cache becomes muggled / eaten by a fox / washed away in the rain etc. etc. it's for the CO to rectify, if they don't, geocachers will log DNF's and notes which will eventually lead to archiving.

I wouldn't consider you moving my geocache a favour to be honest. Replacing log books: fine.

There are no requirements that cachers need to help out other cachers. I understand and appreciate the thinking of those who do things like drying out a cache or replacing a full/wet log, things like that, but a finder should never move a cache because it's not theirs to move.

An email to the owner is a good way to let them know that you fixed it or to notify them of a problem that might require them to move the cache, but this can also be done via the logs. Don't be afraid to post a Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived if it's a series issue. The advantage of this is that reviewers automatically get notified of caches that get a NA log, and many will periodically run searches for caches that need maintenance and follow through with the owner directly if maintenance hasn't been performed...maybe even to the point of archiving the cache.

Some may say they don't want to see caches get archived, but how long should the caching community keep doing maintenance for owners who refuse to do what's expected of every owner who hides a cache? I'd rather see the caches get archived and new caches get hidden by someone who's going to maintain them.

I'm going to take a slightly different approach here. I'll say that you should never move a cache unless it falls under one of these exceptions:

1) Cache is sitting in the open. If you have an ammo can sitting out on the ground with zero cover that's under or next to nothing, move it the smallest distance possible and alert the CO. I'd be ticked if I found out that one of my ammo cans got lifted because somebody decided that even though it was laying in the middle of a meadow they didn't want to put it somewhere to keep it safe.

2) Upset land owners. If you're caching and the muggle in charge of the property is quite adament about getting that garbage off their property, take it. Apologize upside down and backwards, and then contact the CO and leave a note on the cache page.

That's about it I think, other than that you shouldn't be moving caches. Thanks for the consideration in your actions though, clearly your intent was only to help out.

Some may say they don't want to see caches get archived, but how long should the caching community keep doing maintenance for owners who refuse to do what's expected of every owner who hides a cache? I'd rather see the caches get archived and new caches get hidden by someone who's going to maintain them.

+1

If CO's aren't prepared to maintain their caches why struggle to postpone the inevitable archive. Especially for someone else's cache!

I've given up on emailing people and it doesn't matter if you send your email with the message. they just can't be bothered to write back.

I RARELY, if ever, have had that experience. I frequently email other cachers, many of whom I have never met, and really can't remember the last time I didn't get a reply.

I've given up on emailing people and it doesn't matter if you send your email with the message. they just can't be bothered to write back.

I RARELY, if ever, have had that experience. I frequently email other cachers, many of whom I have never met, and really can't remember the last time I didn't get a reply.

Yup, me too.

I have been geocaching for just over a year now, with about 50% of that as a premium member. In that time I have had cause to replace logs in caches because they are either soaked or full and move caches because their original location has either been disturbed by other outside forces. These are not my caches but I consider it helping the original CO and keeping them going for other users. Obviously I immediately contact the CO to tell them what I have done and if they minded me doing it. I have had four separate instances of this where I know for certain the CO has acted on the information I have sent them. Do I get any thanks or even an acknowledgement back. NO I DO NOT AND I AM MORE THAN A LITTLE ANNOYED AT THE IGNORANCE OF THESE SO CALLED GEOCACHERS I DON'T THINK I WILL BOTHER IN FUTURE. AT LEAST REPLY EVEN IF IT IS TO TELL ME TO LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR THE CO TO SORT OUT THEMSELVES.

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the effect that the tone of an email can have on the likelyhood of receiving a reply. If I received an email from another cacher that was as full of caps as the opening post, I may very well chose to not reply (I'm not saying that IS what happened... I really have no way of knowing). A friendly, "Just thought I'd let you know that your log was full, so I stuck a scrap of paper in that might last you until you can get back out there to replace your log" should probably elicit at least a "Thank you" by most civil folks (and I have found most geocachers to be civil folks). On the other hand, "I thought I'd let you know that I had to maintain your cache for you because you had let the log get full" would probably be ignored.

If I do any sort of maint. on other caches...it is usually limited to adding a pencil...maybe a sharpener...maybe even paper if the current log is full or otherwise unusable...but I don't expect any sort of public commendation for it. I do it in the hopes that the deed is passed forward...and rarely do I even mention my deeds in the log...I do it because I want to do it...

NO I DO NOT AND I AM MORE THAN A LITTLE ANNOYED AT THE IGNORANCE OF THESE SO CALLED GEOCACHERS I DON'T THINK I WILL BOTHER IN FUTURE. AT LEAST REPLY EVEN IF IT IS TO TELL ME TO LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR THE CO TO SORT OUT THEMSELVES.

I apologize in advance. Hey Postmanpete, Going a little postal on your second post with your caps lock on? If by chance you sent me an email written in the tone of your post I might just ignore it and try to avoid any communication with you in the future. Just sayin...