Should I ignore him or lead him by the hand?

I agree with what you're saying here. What bugged me was that he didn't log a DNF at all. Also after the second Found/Did not Find I told him he was close and sent a hint.

I just don't understand why some of the newer cachers act this way. (and for that matter a few a the older ones)

Maybe self-entitlement?

Entitlement is the answer, especially among the younger generation, I find. We're dealing with a generation of kids who have been taught that you get a reward even if you don't reach the goal and nobody loses a soccer game. Even the video games they play have "cheat" settings that make you invincible or give you some other ridiculous advantage where you can't lose even if you try, and then when they finally "beat" the game they act like they've really accomplished something.

I've seen my daughter search YouTube for spoiler videos to watch how to get through a level of a video game. Where's the fun in that? Isn't figuring out the solution for yourself part of the challenge?

I agree with what you're saying here. What bugged me was that he didn't log a DNF at all. Also after the second Found/Did not Find I told him he was close and sent a hint.

I just don't understand why some of the newer cachers act this way. (and for that matter a few a the older ones)

Maybe self-entitlement?

Entitlement is the answer, especially among the younger generation, I find. We're dealing with a generation of kids who have been taught that you get a reward even if you don't reach the goal and nobody loses a soccer game. Even the video games they play have "cheat" settings that make you invincible or give you some other ridiculous advantage where you can't lose even if you try, and then when they finally "beat" the game they act like they've really accomplished something.

I've seen my daughter search YouTube for spoiler videos to watch how to get through a level of a video game. Where's the fun in that? Isn't figuring out the solution for yourself part of the challenge?

Few points that come to mind whenever I hear about the "entitlement of the younger generation":

- The younger generation did not spring to life from the ether, they were apparently raised by some previous generation.

- Generation gaps have existed since we crawled out of the slime. Chances are the generation prior to yours complained about "you crazy kids". So, welcome to your inherited throne of "Get Off My Lawn".

- Cheating and rounding off the corners of games is as old as games. Bringing down the console commands to turn on god-mode is the same as re-rolling in Monopoly. Chances are you won't find the later on YouTube, but don't pretend that it's something that was invented just last week by those ruffians with their fancy X-Boxen.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Maybe self-entitlement?

Few points that come to mind whenever I hear about the "entitlement of the younger generation":

- The younger generation did not spring to life from the ether, they were apparently raised by some previous generation.

- Generation gaps have existed since we crawled out of the slime. Chances are the generation prior to yours complained about "you crazy kids". So, welcome to your inherited throne of "Get Off My Lawn".

- Cheating and rounding off the corners of games is as old as games. Bringing down the console commands to turn on god-mode is the same as re-rolling in Monopoly. Chances are you won't find the later on YouTube, but don't pretend that it's something that was invented just last week by those ruffians with their fancy X-Boxen.

I would have agree with on this.

As far as this generation being a product of the last. When I was still a Hard-a** Sgt. my Jr NCOs would always complain how the new troops had no disipline and so on. I always told them it's because their parents never instilled it in them.

I wouldn't do anything other than what you have been doing. Let him make the trek a few more times. See how many times he'll continue going back before he either gives up or he actually finds it. If he finds it then good for him, he might learn something from the experience. I'd view it as kind of a sport. Sort of like watching a cat chase a laser pointer.

I like Dragonswest's suggestion. Good one.

I like this one.

Maybe you can add a bucket with a sign "put your 35 mm throw downs here so I don't have to keep picking up your litter"

Last part is only an option. ;)

Edited by jellis

Maybe self-entitlement?

With most of the younger cachers I notice ones with mentors who enjoy it or are a cacher, the younger cachers place better caches as those who are not supervised and place them with coords off, or ignore guidelines or just stop playing and we have to deal with maintenance on their caches.

Edited by jellis

And be sure to give him a copy of this list of conditions under which a throw down is appropriate

//------------list follows

//-----------end of list

Thanks to all the thread contributors for brightening my day. Thanks to the OP for omitting the cacher's identifying information.

This was logged on one of my caches. I thought it was hysterical. It wasn't my husband he called (don't have one anymore - whew) he called the husband of a friend who was with me when it was hid.

My link

"Sometimes I am just pathetic. I looked all over for this and couldn't make the find so I called the husband of the hider. He told me what to look for and where. still no luck. So I left to get my mojo back on an easy one and got a call from the first finder who said he would meet me back here. He spotted it right off and told me 'hot' or 'cold' and I still could not see it. He described it again for me and showed me the direction to look in and at what altitude. STILL no luck. Duh. So he drew an "X" on the ground, had me stand on it, and then pointed right at it. Nope. I'm pathetic. So finally I walked over to where he said it was and finally saw it. In my defense a lot of leaves had fallen on it, but still, I shoulda seen this one. Thanks for the hide and a special thanks to -."

This was logged on one of my caches. I thought it was hysterical. It wasn't my husband he called (don't have one anymore - whew) he called the husband of a friend who was with me when it was hid.

My link

"Sometimes I am just pathetic. I looked all over for this and couldn't make the find so I called the husband of the hider. He told me what to look for and where. still no luck. So I left to get my mojo back on an easy one and got a call from the first finder who said he would meet me back here. He spotted it right off and told me 'hot' or 'cold' and I still could not see it. He described it again for me and showed me the direction to look in and at what altitude. STILL no luck. Duh. So he drew an "X" on the ground, had me stand on it, and then pointed right at it. Nope. I'm pathetic. So finally I walked over to where he said it was and finally saw it. In my defense a lot of leaves had fallen on it, but still, I shoulda seen this one. Thanks for the hide and a special thanks to -."

Oh my gosh that's hilarious!!

My link

:lol:

That is good.

The recent 'Angel Cache' thread reminded me of this one. I thought I would post an update.

The cacher in question has not returned to find my cache. In fact he is no longer caching. It seems he was trying to blackout his '81' grid. My cache must have fit in there for him. A couple of months later he went after a 5/2.5 that requires a boat to get to. When the owner would not let him log a find even though he had seen the island and knew where the cache had to be, he threw an even bigger fit. The CO didn't hold back and let the local cachers know what this guy was doing and to watch their caches. This enraged our throwdown artist and he geocided. Stating that, "All the cache owners in [a local caching group] can go [fornicate with] yourselves."

That must mean no more free containers. :rolleyes:

The recent 'Angel Cache' thread reminded me of this one. I thought I would post an update.

The cacher in question has not returned to find my cache. In fact he is no longer caching. It seems he was trying to blackout his '81' grid. My cache must have fit in there for him. A couple of months later he went after a 5/2.5 that requires a boat to get to. When the owner would not let him log a find even though he had seen the island and knew where the cache had to be, he threw an even bigger fit. The CO didn't hold back and let the local cachers know what this guy was doing and to watch their caches. This enraged our throwdown artist and he geocided. Stating that, "All the cache owners in [a local caching group] can go [fornicate with] yourselves."

Hmmmm, must have been about the numbers.:P

Yes! I'm sure you'll agree that it is a very good lesson about over-competitiveness and the problems it can bring! :lol:

Yes! I'm sure you'll agree that it is a very good lesson about over-competitiveness and the problems it can bring! :lol:

Most things have a dark side and that would be it but most thing have a bright side too but I'd say he went a tad too far.

Edited by Roman!

"So I'm leaving a replacement where a real cache should be hidden."

I go up and check on it and it's there and so is his film can.

Maybe you could ask him to stop spewing out film cans where real caches dare to tread? Suggest he start using well stocked ammo cans for his throw down finds, if he can't accept a DNF. That way, you'll soon have a collection of quality containers for future hides. :ph34r:

Just met the guy and lead him by the hand.

A guy once logged 5 DNFs in a cache of mine, wrecked a car and other misadventures to get it until he finally did found it one year later.

When I put another cache with a well in the surroundings I sent him a mail forbiding him to look for it without my presence, because I'd lead him by the hand to make sure we won't fall into the well... And so it was. When we finally met to visit the cache I led him by hand (literally). Today we are best friends.

79c3adf2-e1bf-4e55-b249-ee990730fe31.jpg

edited to correct gramatic

Edited by MightyReek

Looks like you are still getting plenty advice on how to deal with it anyway :lol:

Just met the guy and lead him by the hand.

A guy once logged 5 DNFs in a cache of mine, wrecked a car and other misadventures to get it until he finally did found it one year later.

When I put another cache with a well in the surroundings I sent him a mail forbiding him to look for it without my presence, because I'd lead him by the hand to make sure we won't fall into the well... And so it was. When we finally met to visit the cache I led him by hand (literally). Today we are best friends.

79c3adf2-e1bf-4e55-b249-ee990730fe31.jpg

edited to correct gramatic

THIS is awesome. Great story :)