Letterbox Hybrids: corrected coordinate?

tifig

I'd like to be able to correct the coordinates in listings of letterbox hybrids as I can do with other non-traditional caches.

The reason for this is that in my area most of the letterbox-caches are made like puzzles and/or multi caches - the listed coordinates are not the ones where the letterbox is hidden.

I have never ever heard of a letterbox hybrid that wasn't at the listed coordinates. Very interesting!
Yeah, very interesting. The LBH caches that I've done have started at the posted coordinates, and then used letterbox-style clues to take you to the container. The posted coordinates weren't just parking coordinates; they were an integral part of the hunt. But the focus was on the letterbox-style clues.

It seems odd to me to have a LBH cache without letterbox-style clues. What's the point?

Anyway, back on topic, the last I heard, Groundspeak is planning to allow edited coordinates for all cache types. They'll get to it when they get to it.

I don't know that it needs to be implemented for Traditionals since the only reason a Traditional is not at the posted coords is if the posted coords are bad and for some reason the CO wont correct them.

It seems to work great for Multis and Mysterys. I would really like to see it extended to Wherigos and Letterboxes. As the OP noted, Letterboxes are not always "Traditionals with an inkstamp". And on at least 3 occasions I have completed a Wherigo cartridge, but either DNF'd the final or had to come back another time to get it due to its location.

I don't know that it needs to be implemented for Traditionals since the only reason a Traditional is not at the posted coords is if the posted coords are bad and for some reason the CO wont correct them.

Not quite true. There are traditionals that are not at the posted coordinates because once there you have to project a waypoint or do something else to find the final. Yeah I know, you're probably thinking it shouldn't be listed as a traditional then. I agree, but the reviewers don't.

There are traditionals that are not at the posted coordinates because once there you have to project a waypoint or do something else to find the final. Yeah I know, you're probably thinking it shouldn't be listed as a traditional then. I agree, but the reviewers don't.
Some older caches were listed as traditional caches, although they'd be listed as something else today. They're essentially grandfathered as non-traditional traditionals.

It seems odd to me to have a LBH cache without letterbox-style clues. What's the point?

Letterboxes are hyrids to be shared on both sites. There was never a requirement that they be anything else but a waypoint to get you to a location. Yes some were a multies and some were traditional, but not letterboxes.

edited for angst

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have never ever heard of a letterbox hybrid that wasn't at the listed coordinates. Very interesting!

Really? 5 of the 6 letterbox hybrids I've found were not at the posted coordinates. I thought the whole point of them was to follow directions to get to it?

Around here, it seems kind of like a mixed bag. I have only found nine letterbox hybrids. Six were at the posted coordinates. One you had to project a waypoint to find the container. One was at the end of a set of fire tacks. Only one was a true letterbox style hunt.

On topic, I do find it curious that a corrected coordinate change wasn't applied universally. While the heaviest use will be for puzzle and multicaches, I can see scenarios when having corrected coordinates for ANY cache would be useful.

I can see scenarios when having corrected coordinates for ANY cache would be useful.

Except traditionals. If the coords are wrong on those, it really needs to be corrected at the source. In the rare case where a puzzle or multi is listed as a traditional, even that should be corrected at the source and the cache type should be changed.

In the rare case where a puzzle or multi is listed as a traditional, even that should be corrected at the source and the cache type should be changed.

There's one of those here. It has been looked at by several reviewers through the years, and all of them have said they won't change the cache type. They say it needs to be archived and re-listed, which the owner doesn't want to do (which I completely understand). Thus, we're left with a puzzle listed as a traditional.

In the rare case where a puzzle or multi is listed as a traditional, even that should be corrected at the source and the cache type should be changed.

There's one of those here. It has been looked at by several reviewers through the years, and all of them have said they won't change the cache type. They say it needs to be archived and re-listed, which the owner doesn't want to do (which I completely understand). Thus, we're left with a puzzle listed as a traditional.

Well, maybe there is a good reason if several reviewers have decided not to change it. At this time I can't imagine what that reason might be. Care to share a linky?

Care to share a linky?

GCHHF2

I'll point out that there aren't any direct comments from reviewers on the cache page, but there's a note from the original CO mentioning Cache Advance back in 2005, and I know for a fact more recent reviewers have been contacted.

Also, I'm sure some are thinking "Why don't they just change the coordinates to point to the final?" The problem is that after this cache was hidden, other caches were hidden close to the final location. "Moving" this to the actual coordinates would create a proximity conflict.

Any movement on this? I just came across two letterbox caches that were essentially puzzles I had to solve (thus, no descriptions on how to get there, just some coordinates listed on the page). I'd like to have the coordinates in my GPS be the actual coordinates. On most other letterbox hides, the posted coordinates are usually where one begins their search. In this case, one of the posted coordinates put you in the middle of a taxiway at an airport - definitely NOT a safe place to begin your letterbox search. So, the question is: how do I get this cache to show up at the actual location? Can this PLEASE be a feature?