Picture Posting Problem

garytlove

this may have already been covered, i dont know, but i have a question on my posting of pictures. i recently purchased a digital camera and have been posting pics with my finds now. when i go to view some of them, they are very blocky with bad graphics. but when i click the "view original picture" option under the picture, it is clear again. why would the page make it so distorted? all of them are under the 100kb limit. is there anything i can do to remedy this?

The first time you view the image in the logs, it generates smaller copies, but displays the last version (a thumbnail). It then resizes the thumbnail pic and displays it on the page. Once you refresh the page it generates the correct one with the correct size.

This was supposed to be a temporary solution but turned out to be a long-term one. Hopefully we can convert the rest of the site to work like the benchmark images soon. This will solve all the issues.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

No.... no no no no no no no no no no! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I made my plea in the benchmarking section when it first came up. Please, oh please do NOT convert the Geocaching image system to the benchmarking one. Smaller images get that icky white space around them. Many of us work hard to get the right balance of compression and pixel count just right to provide the best possible picture under 100K. In my book, the benchmarking picture device is NOT a good solution.

Just ask me about it - I may tell you how I REALLY feel. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

No.... no no no no no no no no no no! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I made my plea in the benchmarking section when it first came up. Please, oh please do NOT convert the Geocaching image system to the benchmarking one. Smaller images get that icky white space around them. Many of us work hard to get the right balance of compression and pixel count just right to provide the best possible picture under 100K. In my book, the benchmarking picture device is NOT a good solution.

Just ask me about it - I may tell you how I REALLY feel. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Boy, am I glad I stumbled on THIS thread before I uploaded my first picture. And I'm not sure why I even READ it to begin with. But last week I finally figured out how to 'shrink' the byte size of my pix and uploaded a shot with a cache logging. When I clicked on the "view your picture" option, there was the culprit image - UGH! Then I remembered this discussion and VIOLA - I went away and came back and the picture was fine.

This proves that this discussion area can save your sanity... icon_eek.gif

"Nobody cares what you REALLY do,

as long as the paperwork looks good"

Boy, am I glad I stumbled on THIS thread before I uploaded my first picture. And I'm not sure why I even READ it to begin with. But last week I finally figured out how to 'shrink' the byte size of my pix and uploaded a shot with a cache logging. When I clicked on the "view your picture" option, there was the culprit image - UGH! Then I remembered this discussion and VIOLA - I went away and came back and the picture was fine.

This proves that this discussion area can save your sanity... icon_eek.gif

"Nobody cares what you REALLY do,

as long as the paperwork looks good"

Not quite the same problem, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread.

Here's my issue. I uploaded a few pics, and the first few worked fine, but then the last one only gives me a box with the red X in it when you view the picture page.

If you click on the red-X box, (click to view original) the pic appears... but I can't get it to appear on the log page. I tried deleting and reposting.. I tried different pics, all less than 100k, but none worked. Any idea why this would happen?

Other pics that I've uploaded before on the same log appear fine, but new uploads don't seem to work.

Jamie

quote:

Jamie Z said:

Not quite the same problem, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread.

Well, I have the same problem, and it's not the same as the pixilized "problem", so I say it deserves its, own thread. Consider it done.

V7L