Society of Better Swag

skippyp

Fully recognizing that I'm fairly new to the sport, I'm totally lost on what people think is appropriate for swag. Used bottlecaps? a rock? advertisements? Frankly I'd prefer a TNLN than a penny.

So call me a charter member of the SOBS (society of better swag) because if I were to advertise my business I'd at least do it with a bottle opener or pen or some other fun, useful thing. Today alone I CITO'd a 2 year old business magnet calendar, paper straw wrapper, some torn up stick-on letters, and a bent beer bottle cap. I also notice the number of trackables that are going missing.

Am I just being a crab? I love seeing the little dinosaurs and other fun things for the kids- though I leave that stuff for the next cacher. Maybe I'm bad at choosing which caches to go after? I have a bunch of fun swag things I was going to start putting out, but if people are going to leave trash in trade, then I'll just be the SOB(s) who TNLN.

So all kidding with the name aside, has this always been the way? If not, how can we up the ante on the swagstakes?

I was just about to start a similar topic. We don't mind going on a search and just logging the visit. However, we often search with one or more grandchildren. Recently, we have been very disappointed in the type of swag (mostly junk) and the condition of the cache contents. It would be great to find things that have a unique quality and even better if the cache is prepared and placed so that it isn't ruined by the elements. The best cache that we found recently was in an ammo can (waterproof) that was placed in a sheltered location.

This is not being a crab. It is just a request to maintain the quality of a great activity.

MR&LA

If you're a crab, then I'm a crab too. I haven't found a very large number of caches (less than 200), but quite a few of the regular- and large-sized reportedly contained nice swag when they were placed. Or so say the cache owners. Over the run of a year, stuff just disappears or is "traded" for ... well ... trash. Large boxes that are easy finds are almost always empty save for the torn-up logbook with a ziplock half-assedly closed (and usually with the sharp pencil inside). The swag in more remote caches tend to live a little longer, but there's no real trading going on. It's all about the numbers and "what's in it for me".

It's the tragedy of the commons, and it's as old as civilization. It's basic human greed. That being said, I mostly leave swag behind without taking anything; toy cars (think Hot Wheels only a bit cheaper), key fobs, shopping trolley tokens (not sure if they're used in the US), erasers, cheap pencil sharpeners, old european coins which are no longer worth anything (I have a bunch of foreign pocket change), ballpoint pens and other stuff.

Although my kids are in their teens now, they like finding the odd box with real things inside. They have no concept of why a difficulty 4 micro is nice to log. Geocaching should be for them too.

Edited by fotimyr

I like to paw through swag even if I don't take anything. I like the excitement of finding something cool (see my swag blog in my signature). I like making handcrafted geoswag.

As a finder I won't leave my handcrafted swag in a cache that's not watertight or is a mess. It's nice when COs use good cache containers like authentic Lock and Locks or ammo cans to protect the contents. It's also nice when COs visit their caches a couple of times a year to wipe down the interior, clean out the junk and replenish with a couple of inexpensive trinkets. I'll often dump out the twigs and dirt, wipe down moisture, take out the worn, torn and ragged swag in caches I visit where the owner provides a good container.

We are swag fairies :lol: We regularly get rid of wet/broken/slimy swag and completely refill containers with assorted goodies for all ages. A few compass carabiners, a few toys, spare batteries, jewelry pendants, etc... For film cannisters I always carry a handful of these coins in a variety of styles:

6467.jpg

We just decided to always pay it forward. If the next finder opens the box and says "Wow!", then maybe they will do the same.

*One thing we've learned is that swag stays in better shape if it is in a baggie when it's placed. Part of the reason junk piles up in a cache is because stuff gets wrecked and then no one wants it.

We are swag fairies :lol: We regularly get rid of wet/broken/slimy swag and completely refill containers with assorted goodies for all ages. A few compass carabiners, a few toys, spare batteries, jewelry pendants, etc... For film cannisters I always carry a handful of these coins in a variety of styles:

6467.jpg

We just decided to always pay it forward. If the next finder opens the box and says "Wow!", then maybe they will do the same.

*One thing we've learned is that swag stays in better shape if it is in a baggie when it's placed. Part of the reason junk piles up in a cache is because stuff gets wrecked and then no one wants it.

Love your owl tokens - Do you make them yourself?

MrsB :)

6467.jpg

I agree about putting swag in small baggies to preserve them. Love the owl token, I would definitely trade for it. Is it fimo?

Fully recognizing that I'm fairly new to the sport, I'm totally lost on what people think is appropriate for swag. Used bottlecaps? a rock? advertisements? Frankly I'd prefer a TNLN than a penny.

So call me a charter member of the SOBS (society of better swag) because if I were to advertise my business I'd at least do it with a bottle opener or pen or some other fun, useful thing. Today alone I CITO'd a 2 year old business magnet calendar, paper straw wrapper, some torn up stick-on letters, and a bent beer bottle cap. I also notice the number of trackables that are going missing.

Am I just being a crab? I love seeing the little dinosaurs and other fun things for the kids- though I leave that stuff for the next cacher. Maybe I'm bad at choosing which caches to go after? I have a bunch of fun swag things I was going to start putting out, but if people are going to leave trash in trade, then I'll just be the SOB(s) who TNLN.

So all kidding with the name aside, has this always been the way? If not, how can we up the ante on the swagstakes?

I couldn't agree more. I am very new to Geocaching, but I often try to find boxes with swag since I often have my daughter, who is ten, with me. She gets so excited to see what is in the container. Mostly, everything has been pure junk. I know a lot of people try to find the crappiest thing they can think of to put in for swag, but it is very disappointing for a child to find a straw wrapper or business card. We always leave something decent and if I don't have any swag with me, I will leave a quarter. The excitement of a child finding a quarter is priceless. I would be thrilled to find the owl or something equivalent. I agree also that if you hide a cache, you should check it a couple times a year, clean it, replace items, etc. That's the responsibility of a cache owner.

I know a lot of people try to find the crappiest thing they can think of to put in for swag, but it is very disappointing for a child to find a straw wrapper or business card.

I'm not sure who these "a lot of people" are but I hope I don't consider any of them my friends! I can't say I'm aware of anyone purposely putting in crap for swag, just people who are not informed of the customs of our game. Also many of those business cards may be signature items and were not traded in.

Don't get me wrong I agree with your premise that caches attract bad swag, I just disagree that there are people out there doing it on purpose. Maybe new cachers think the CO is giving away the swag and comes out on a monthly basis to restock/remove garbage and don't see the bottle cap they traded for the cool toy as something that will hurt another child down the road.

skippyp -- you may be a crab, be it a fiddler, hermit, blue or otherwise -- I dunno. As far as being a "crab" in regards to the SWAG that you see... no, you're not. No more so than anyone else that frequents these forums or enters them to speak of the SWAG situation.

The problem is... you are preaching to the choir. Your SOBS idea is admirable and it would be a marvelous thing if others would join in and make it a community effort. I say 'go for it', but.... you must be able to also reach those who do not participate in the forums. THAT my friend, is the problem. Of all the cachers out there, so very few ever come to (or even know of) the forums. Sure, if they have a problem, they show up and ask.... many never return to even read the responses.

Organize and unite (not all can organize). I hope you can and I wish you well. We trade little, but always carry some SWAG with which to add into a 'lacking' cache. Just keep in mind that the cache degradation issue is one that has existed since the beginning and I (for one) fail to see any end in sight.

To date, the best thing regarding this matter has been to lead by example. Perhaps you can get something better going. :)

how can we up the ante on the swagstakes?

With the assumption that enthusiastic Geocachers are the ones degrading caches (which may or may not be the case), an item designed to go cache-to-cache might be better. There are Travel Bugs and Geocoins, the ideal items to perk up cache contents -- so that there's something nice to find. Trackables are not to be "traded" or kept. If every item was treated this way, caches would have nice stuff. Take something, leave it in the next container. Regardless, whenever you take or leave anything, note that in your cache log. I have seen logs where cachers specifically state that they took [something great], left [something worthless]. At least they were honest. :anicute:

There's a kind of coin you can buy, sometimes called it a "noodle", but it's just an example. It has a basic tracking map, and these are typically released in the hundreds. Those are a step up in Better Swag. Make something like that, not to keep, to move. If cachers would cease plundering everything nice out of all the caches, simply move items around, there would be fun stuff remaining. It would also be less expensive, since once you trade one nice thing, you can trade forevermore with no further investment. And there's no need for the candy wrapper trade. Perhaps you could make a side-game out of moving and combining swag items.

But I also know that most of the problem is people who only go "caching" to grab everything and keep it. They obviously aren't playing the game (many wouldn't be called "Geocachers" except that they stumbled onto a cache), they're only out to see how much they can get.

Edited by kunarion

I am sure it does happen but I can't recall ever seeing it, but do others think it might help if along with the 'this is a geocache' explanatory note people were encouraged to tape a note to the lid of the cache for example explaining the trade/swag/trackable rules.

In the UK I have never been that bothered by the swag side as I don't have kids and quite frankly it is mostly rubbish I don't want, even if it is nice stuff it is definitely for children. Apart from some of the cool sig items I have seen in these forums, and I have never come across any as good, its hard to think of something that as an adult I would want to trade for/with that doesn't cost a fortune.

I carry a few RSPB pin badges for caches I like. You can pick them up in lots of places, they just ask for a donation, suggest £1. You can get some really nice ones of birds, animals, butterflies etc and it feels like you are giving thrice, once to charity, once to the recipient and it also feels like a nice thing to do for the CO. Although I haven't been convinced to part with the pretty little dragonfly one yet :anicute: .

"There's a kind of coin you can buy, sometimes called it a "noodle", but it's just an example. It has a basic tracking map, and these are typically released in the hundreds."

what's the scoop on these 'noodles'? I'd love to investigate that. I've also considered a series of atma tags in which they are paired such that the finder could kep part and leave the second part in the next cache.... 'cept I don't know what after that!

"There's a kind of coin you can buy, sometimes called it a "noodle", but it's just an example. It has a basic tracking map, and these are typically released in the hundreds."

what's the scoop on these 'noodles'? I'd love to investigate that. I've also considered a series of atma tags in which they are paired such that the finder could kep part and leave the second part in the next cache.... 'cept I don't know what after that!

There are several sites which sell things similar to Trackables with various amounts of trackability, but not sanctioned by Groundspeak. Any such item is considered swag, but if the idea is to maintain "better swag", maybe some coin or other item that's somewhere between swag and "Trackable" is in order. You can look up the other companies' stuff, as I said, it's just an example. Maybe there could be an item imprinted "don't keep me" that is nice but still "swag" by definition.

I should also point out that you can buy a real Geocoin (and of course a TB), tracking number and all, for less than $5. How valuable was the OP's "Better Swag" gonna be? If it's about five bucks, maybe the less expensive Geocoins are the way to go. They provide something interesting to find, you don't keep them (really, must everyone keep everything? That's kind of the whole problem), and you can give them a mission as a bonus.

Edited by kunarion

For film cannisters I always carry a handful of these coins in a variety of styles:

6467.jpg

I agree about putting swag in small baggies to preserve them. Love the owl token, I would definitely trade for it. Is it fimo?

I don't make them (I'm not that talented!) They are made of metal and I buy them at my local "spiritual" book store - three for five dollars. They are about the size of a quarter. The next time I am over there, I will ask where they get them from. There are lots of different designs.

I'm totally in for the SOBS club :laughing:

I LOVE finding hand made and very unique items in caches. I make handmade friendship bracelets during my classes.

Has anyone ever thought about making a business sized card to put on the cover of the log book saying how swag should be traded up? That way people have the guidelines in front of them and the newbies will understand a little more.just

If we do leave anything it is something similar to the owl coin shown earlier. Ours are Spirit Coins (we refer to them as tokens as they are not trackable) and also have words on the reverse - Wisdom, Patience, Ingenuity, etc., and the designs are by First Nations artists. We very rarely take or trade anything.

6467.jpg

Hi Newbie here..Great Idea. I will do the same.

I just placed my first cache today. I placed it but did not publish it yet, because I want to give a week or so of good southern thunder storms to live through so I can inspect the contents, and make sure the container is functioning as designed. I'm also still getting coordinates daily to average them out for a solid reading. It's going to be interesting to see if it works out. I'm going to call it "Happy Holidays", and have swag in hand to keep it holiday themed. Currently, it's stuffed with all manner of easter swag. yo-yo's, bendy rabbits, funny buttons, wind up bunnies, etc....as soon as easter is over, I'll swap it out to mother's day/memorialday....I'm stashing the holiday stuff that's left over until next year. I also recently informally adopted two nearby caches. One is a 4/4 and I was dumb enough to volunteer myself to maintain it. lol. First thing I had to do was clean it up, cito, replace the container, and the swag.

I'm a big fan of CITO, paying it forward, and T1L2....Took one, left two...make all the caches you visit better than when you found them, and as a boy scout leader I'm bound to not only practice, but teach the scouts 'leave no trace program' so preach on...be as crabby as you want... gripe loudly... but always practice what you preach. Ther's always going to be some twit who leaves a business card, or muggless who muggle, and weather just can't be stopped. But dang it we can all do better. I carry old bags from the evil empire, and clorox wipes in my cache kit with my other essentials...log books of a variety of sizes, golf pencils, baggies...

we really should make a club of cache crabs, or cache fairies, or SOBS and make Groundspeak give us a page or a badge or souvenier....something....anyone have some extra webspace available? Anyone feel like writing a charter? Making some gfx? Authoring a related blog? Paying for a domain name? ANyone? Message me if you do...let's get organized...

I am really new to geocaching and I have been lucky enough to find a couple containers the had some "not so bad swag" inside, but on the other hand I have also found some filled with complete junk. So I have made a commitment to make sure all the caches I place contain AWESOME swag inside! I also have made it a point to place larger caches, seeing how there are LOTS of micros around the city and with larger caches come more variety of swag you can hide...I hope you all will add me as a friend and go search for some of my caches...

Our minimum trade / deposit are geotokens (non trackable coins). Search "geotoken" on amazon.com. Comes out to ~$1 each. (and no, I'm not talking about the "Jack Squat" coins....)

I have a few of the compass style, and always wondered why there was basically only that (except for "Jack Squat" which I don't like). But I notice there's a variety pack of "good luck tokens" now. Those are pretty cool!

People who have artistic ability could make handmade items. Some folks weave a bookmark , or a survival bracelet or make a monkey's fist knot keychain. Even small painted rocks can be quite cool to find, if they're creative. I have zero artistic ability, but have a few inexpensive items and re-purposed junk, that seem slightly popular.

Edited by kunarion

If someone wanted to come up with something simple to maintain, I can add it to my website: www.skippyp.com

I had already intended to make a landing page for a geocoin I was hoping to create, so this isn't far off.

I've made some trackable signature items, which are zipper pulls in many styles (I called them "Cache Zippers"), came up with a design and a way to number them in a standardized way. Then I submitted them to a free "sig item" tracking web site, and was told there were no new submissions being accepted for tracking. <_<

Edited by kunarion

The swag game is a part of geocaching that many people do enjoy. Many just don't get it and are there to ruin it for others, but those people exist in every part of life, not just our game. I figure we get out of it what we put into it, and everyone enjoys this sport differently, that's part of the beauty and appeal of the game. For those that like the swag game, I hope to enrich that experience with every cache that can handle it. :)

The youngest of Nomesquad is all about the swag, he loves to trade his treasures and has found some cool things in several caches. He carries his zippy bag full every time. Its also good to teach him about trading up, and I think at his age it helps him think abstractly about others and doing good things as well. We've even left swag in treasureless bigger caches just because it sucks to hear, "Awww, no treasures to look at!" from a child.

Since the weather is now gorgeous and we've got our caching fever back, I've recently ordered our year's stock of gnome based swag and a supply of trackables to be set free into the wild during our travels this year. I also make our own sig items and we drop those into all the caches we visit that we deem worthy (read: large enough, water tight and maintained)

Swag is most definitely not everything that geocaching is about, but is a fun aside to the seeking of hidden tupperware.

I just posted my first post here in regards to the crap people leave in these boxes. Being new to the game, I expected there to be "treasure" in the "worldwide treasure hunt". I dont understand how you would NOT KNOW how trading swag works. This is why I, for instance, do not like or play football. I dont understand it, and would not be an enjoyable person to watch it with. So I dont. when you get a new hobby, wouldnt you make sure you understand it so you can actively do it and not piss other players off? If youre going to dump all that $$$ on a GPS, you'd think you would know the general ropes of the game. Ive yet to find anything that I said "omg I need this" but really? used chapstick? Im serioulsy expecting to find a tampon applicator or something next with the garbage ive seen so far!

Being new to the game, I expected there to be "treasure" in the "worldwide treasure hunt".
That's part of why I avoid describing geocaching as a "treasure hunt". Instead, I describe it as a "scavenger hunt". The things you find in a scavenger hunt are usually of little value, and the point is the experience of finding them.

I can recommend a page by a cacher called Renzo: Renzo's Custom Cache

He has some great ideas for cheap and easy to make swag. I made some signature bottle tops filled with the clear resin which have been appreciated by people that find them.

My best buy for swag was a bag of 100 dinosaurs for £1. Not the best quality, but at a penny each it was fun to leave a few at a time at every cache that could accommodate them.

I can recommend a page by a cacher called Renzo: Renzo's Custom Cache

He has some great ideas for cheap and easy to make swag. I made some signature bottle tops filled with the clear resin which have been appreciated by people that find them.

My best buy for swag was a bag of 100 dinosaurs for £1. Not the best quality, but at a penny each it was fun to leave a few at a time at every cache that could accommodate them.

Ooh, thank you!

Everytime I see something recommended, it's in America! :P

But I've been reading this thread, and I agree for better swag. It's no fun for my little one when there's nothing for her to look at/swap.

We often find empty caches and fill it up with swag. Fair enough if people don't care about swag, but don't ruin it for those who do :(

I've just begun this hobby and I've noticed this too. Some of the caches have neat things, some...not so neat. I'm thinking of producing my own tokens just to show people how easy it is. Really, why would someone put a bobby pin in a cache?

Actually, just a few weeks ago I put a bobby pin in a cache...

...but it was a bison tube and the bobby pin helped make it easier to get the log sheet out :D

I visited a TB hotel recently that was very inspiring in general, and in terms of swag. It was clean, organized, and stuffed with swag. It is clear that the CO keeps it freshly stocked. There was even a brand new pack of 5 matchbox cars. Soo cool! I dropped some swag, then went to the car and got a microfiber cleaning cloth I use for work(new) and added that too. I was happy just to have been able to add to the awesomeness of that pile o' swag. TN that time. Sometimes I trade the custom pencils people have made for other custom pencils. If there is more than one of the same customer pencil I'll take it and leave a new regular sized pencil in its place.

I don't have a desire to take swag, but looking through it is so much fun. I can imagine kids get a real kick out of trading things at caches. Anyway, if the SOBS is taking pledges, count me in.

I posted something similar a few days/weeks ago, here.

I'm sick of finding caches with nothing but junk; pennies, old hair slide, salt packet and litter all rusty, dirty or generally of no use to anyone. I like finding caches but I prefer caches that contain swag or geocoins because it's finding a hidden treasure, a little box with shiny things, little trinkets as a souvenir of your day, calling cards from other players, and toys for children...yes, I'm a big kid! I don't understand the mindset of putting in junk, I'll pop in my signature items and a few little toys to stock-up...I'd also like to see things like signature items for business or individuals in order to connect with other players too. I think poor swag means fewer people bother playing, and the whole game suffers.

I disagree with the the idea of putting "business" swag into caches. I suppose I don't mind so much if I find an "ABC Hotel" flashlight or a "Mike Smith for President" pen, but when I find business cards, I CITO them (especially because they are always filthy or wet).

The first step to better swag is to make sure the swag we do place stays in good shape - either by protecting it with baggies, or by choosing items that withstand water-logging.

Since almost all of my caching is done with my 3 year old she realy enjoys taking some of the little cheap toys that get left. We started leaving a "Survival Bracelet" in all the caches she takes something from. I know it isn't anything someone is going to see and say OMG I have to have that but I figure it is better than a sticker or a peice of trash. I figure it is also something a child or an adult could use and enjoy. They are cheap for us to make and lets us trade up (atleast in our minds) for what our daughter takes.

I find that really nice unique polished rocks make excellent swag. They are virtually indestructible waterproof and amazingly beautiful....always. You can find lots of grab bag for a few bucks a any local rock show. My son is really into rocks so I guess I am biased but they are IMO on of the best swags around.

I find that really nice unique polished rocks make excellent swag. They are virtually indestructible waterproof and amazingly beautiful....always. You can find lots of grab bag for a few bucks a any local rock show. My son is really into rocks so I guess I am biased but they are IMO on of the best swags around.

I like that idea. Easy to keep in the cache bag too.

We are VERY new to this and so far have found 8. 2 of those were ammo cases. We had our children with us so we have taught them that if you take something you put something back in but it has to be equal to what you take. I'm very proud of them as we found on one that did have a rather LARGE and pricey item in it. They knew they were not able to trade up for it even though for a child this electronic is something they ALL want. Everything else we found had some little trinkets in it or they were micro's. The kids enjoyed finding them but of course were a bit disappointed when they couldn't trade up anything. I don't think anyone is a crab for expecting to find swag that is appropriate and that people trading, trade appropriately. Its the fun of the game. I'm even debating on making my own cache but for a specific reason. I got a few awareness ribbon pins and I know that awareness for some illnesses are few and far between. I'm going to place a pin placed on a card w/ some facts of the illness (in this case it is Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia or CDH)and a website. Maybe someone will take that pin and learn something new. I've even thought about maybe requesting other people to place other awareness ribbon swag in it for trade if they would like. Not sure how good of an idea this is but it sounded good in my head and it seemed like a nice way to help. Okay done rambling...

Here is the second set of the GeoCoins I've produced with ProCreate, an epoxy modeling compoundDSC00167.jpg

Comments welcome.

Cool! My questions are:

Is the compound expensive? (Oh, isn't that always the first consideration? :lol: )

Does it come in that silver colour or did you paint it?

How are you creating the impressions? Carving or stamping?

Edited by Skippermark
Removed commercial link

Here is the second set of the GeoCoins I've produced with ProCreate, an epoxy modeling compound

DSC00167.jpg

Comments welcome.

Cool! My questions are:

Is the compound expensive? (Oh, isn't that always the first consideration? :lol: )

-No, it retails for $12.00.

Does it come in that silver colour or did you paint it?

It's grey when activated. I primed it, then sprayed it with a silver metallic paint.

How are you creating the impressions? Carving or stamping?

-I'm stamping it from both sides, using a technique similar to how coins are made from metal. I will publish pictures of this soon.

Edited by Skippermark
Removed commercial link