More authentication issues...

Swagger

I'm logged in. The website says I'm logged in. I haven't switched computers or browsers or turned off my computer since I logged in.

Last night I spent about ten minutes composing a log entry, hit the submit button and ended up at "my cache page". I hit the browser's Back button and it took me back to the log entry page, with all of the fields reset. I was, to put it lightly, a little upset. I decided to put off recreating the entry until this morning as there was no way the entry would be the same due to my mood swing.

This morning I received a new geocache notification from skydivergear.com, clicked on the link and was taken to the cache page. I'm logged in. The website says I'm logged in. I haven't switched computers or browsers or turned off my computer since I logged in. I click on the "Download Waypoint File" link so I can open the .loc file in ExpertGPS and get an aerial shot. Instead of the .loc file, I end up at the "Downloading GPX/LOC Files" page. The site still shows me as being logged in and says that I "have already read and accepted the license agreement." I hit Back, which takes me back to the cache page showing that I'm logged in, click on the "Download Waypoint File" link again and end up at the "Downloading GPX/LOC Files" page again.

Jeremy, I know that you've been busy lately with the hardware upgrades and other improvements, which are greatly appreciated. BUT (and you knew there was going to be a but) these authentication issues have been going on for a while and are very upsetting when they cause a loss of significant time and effort.

I've noticed that the double-login problem has been fixed and that when logging in from the forums, it takes you back to the forum page instead of my cache page. Thank you very much for taking care of that. The problems I described above started happening about the same time as those fixes went in. Please look into it as soon as you can.

As a non-paying member, one can only put up with these kinds of things and praise you when they're fixed (or when they're not fixed, as evidenced by all the brown-nosers in the forums). As a paying member, there are certain standards that the site is expected to meet. We're paying for a service. We expect to receive that service and that the service will work as it's supposed to. I didn't expect to lose ten minutes of my time and the work I created during those ten minutes.

I don't mind the "System.OutOfMemory" or "Server Application Busy" errors. I've been there and understand that resources can be exhausted. These are just the growing pains that come with having a site as popular as the geocaching site. When I get one of those, I minimize the browser, switch to another task and come back to it later. What I don't understand is when something is clearly broken and remains unrepaired for weeks after it's brought to the attention of TPTB. If that happened at the company I work for, we'd be losing customers left and right and people would be losing their jobs.

For now, I'll be composing my log entries and forum posts in a text editor and pasting them into the form when they're finished. At least I'll know that my work won't be lost. If I'm still having these problems when my subscription comes up for renewal around the 14th of August, I'll be cancelling it.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

For what it's worth...

I haven't had the type of problems you're having, but I've had some strange stuff happen recently too. Mainly, I've had a few times when I could not log in or post anything ... some sort of total corruption of my cookies. I had to delete all the Groundspeak-related cookies in order to get back in.

There are big changes happening here. I'm a paying member too, but I tend to chalk these things up to normal growing pains, since up to now the site has been impeccably reliable and assiduously maintained.

Oh, and as a hint ... anytime I post to web-based forums or BBS's, I have made it a habit to highlight all text and hit Control-C (copy) before I hit "SUBMIT". That way, if the unexpected happens (as it does OFTEN on other, poorly-maintained sites), the worst I'll have to do is pull up the page again and hit Control-V (paste). Cheap insurance.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

This morning I received a new geocache notification from skydivergear.com, clicked on the link and was taken to the cache page.

How come everyone can get this to work but me. For some reason, I only get the brief notification with no links, even though I set to the full info mode. Darn the luck!

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

For some reason, I only get the brief notification with no links, even though I set to the full info mode. Darn the luck!

It may depend on your mail client. The messages aren't properly MIME encapsulated, so they may not display properly in some clients. I use either mutt (on linux) or Outlook. In mutt, I can't see the links at all (but can see all the other info); in Outlook, MS compensates for the improper MIME encapsulation and displays the link.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php