Hiking trail symbols

AbbeysAdventures

I enjoy going Geocaching with my dog and going on long walks, I would like to suggest that there be a new symbol to indicate if a cache is a park and grab or along a hiking trail so that I don't have to spend time distinguishing what type of cache it is. I think that there are many Geocachers that would benefit from this, perhaps a little car symbol to indicate a park and grab, or a little hiker to indicate that it is along a trail.

I enjoy going Geocaching with my dog and going on long walks, I would like to suggest that there be a new symbol to indicate if a cache is a park and grab or along a hiking trail so that I don't have to spend time distinguishing what type of cache it is. I think that there are many Geocachers that would benefit from this, perhaps a little car symbol to indicate a park and grab, or a little hiker to indicate that it is along a trail.

There already is, actually, as part of the "cache attributes" icons. I think it's a newer one, though, so hasn't been applied to most of the P&Gs out there.

Edited by Alkhalikoi

There's already a whack of attributes that cache owners can put on their cache pages that should aid in making those distinctions.

Help Center → Geocaching → More Site Functionality → Attributes

9.1. Attributes

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=121

Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > About Attributes

Attributes

http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx

For example:

Dogs allowed:

dogs-yes.gif

Short Hike (Less than 1km):

hike_short-yes.gif

Medium Hike (1km-10km):

hike_med-yes.gif

Long Hike (+10km)

hike_long-yes.gif

Significant Hike:

hiking-yes.gif

Park and Grab:

parkngrab-yes.gif

Takes Less Than an Hour:

onehour-yes.gif

B.

What about looking on the OSM map itself? I'm doing my best to add hiking trails to the map in the areas that I hike/geocache. It is great to look at a new cache in the woods on the site, open the map and then see that it is just a few feet off a trail on the map. Saves the guess work on where to park, what trail to take, and will there be bushwacking necessary. Alas, these trails are only on the map in places where people add them to the map.