Muggles: the good and the bad

Muggles. all of us cachers have seen them before. There are good muggles and there are bad muggles. Muggles who care nothing about the fact that there is a tag on this little box saying "DO NOT DISTURB ME! I AM AN OFFICIAL GAME PEICE!" And then there are muggles who will take the advice and leave it alone.

GOOD MUGGLES: :D

If you see a muggle curiously studying a cache, dont be afraid to walk up and explain the game to them. they may want to know more or they may just shrug and walk off. These are the good muggles, even if they do just shrug and walk off. However, even if a good muggle discovers a cache you might want to notify the owner and suggest moving the cache, because the muggle might decide to come back and do something to the cache. In the event that a muggle comes upon you while you are signing a logbook or something, try to explain what you are doing without giving away other locations of caches.

BAD MUGGLES: :mad:

A bad muggle is someone who will be told repeatedly not to touch the cache but will still move, loot, or destroy it. When encountering a bad muggle, try to be polite, and if they dont take the cache with them, move the cache temporarily until the owner knows that it is in danger. Bad muggles are responsible for near half of all geocache deaths. Remeber, dont give yourself away when finding a cache, be discrete and dont make a big show of it. Most of you already know this, and i know i should have put this in the beginers section of the forums, but here it is. BE MUGGLE SMART!! :grin: dont let your caches be stolen!! :ph34r:

Happy caching, SUPER-CONSERVATIVE

If you see a muggle curiously studying a cache, dont be afraid to walk up and explain the game to them.

I've never seen or heard of a muggle "studying" a cache. 99.9% of muggle encounters stem from a cacher looking suspicious while looking for a cache and being called out by a muggle. If having muggles stumble upon caches is common in your area, then the caches must not be hidden very well.

Anyway, I would define good vs. bad muggles this way:

Good muggle: They see you doing something weird in a weird spot. You explain to them what you're doing. They are interested in hearing about it more, help you look for the cache, or are just plain indifferent and go on their way.

Bad muggle: They see you doing something weird in a weird spot. You explain to them what you're doing. They threaten to call the cops, yell at you, or point a gun at you. You try to explain further how harmless it is, but they get even madder and/or refuse to listen.

And also:

Ugly muggle: They see you doing something weird in a weird spot. You don't even get a chance to explain what you're doing. They point a gun at you and fire. They get a sentence of 7 years and 4 months.

Oh, and if good muggles are "Guggles", and bad muggles are "Buggles", does that mean that ugly muggles are "Uggles"? :laughing:

BE MUGGLE SMART!! :grin: dont let your caches be stolen!! :ph34r:

What are some good tips to be "sneaky" when searching for a cache? Whenever I see a muggle nearby I try to lollygag and wait around until the area is clear. But i've had to log a few DNF's on a couple of caches because there were so many muggles around.. I was afraid to try to find the cache. Any pointers on how to find these caches that muggles are always going to be around??! Thanks :)

What are some good tips to be "sneaky" when searching for a cache? Whenever I see a muggle nearby I try to lollygag and wait around until the area is clear. But i've had to log a few DNF's on a couple of caches because there were so many muggles around.. I was afraid to try to find the cache. Any pointers on how to find these caches that muggles are always going to be around??! Thanks :)

I would say that "sneaky" is too harsh a word.. dont be secret agent style, just observe from a aways away and then maybe pretend to drop something and bend down to look under a log or something. I usally just ease my way to the cache if i have already seen it but just cant get to it, then when the mug has theyre back turned, just snatch it and take it somewere else to examine.

If you see a muggle curiously studying a cache, dont be afraid to walk up and explain the game to them.

I've never seen or heard of a muggle "studying" a cache. 99.9% of muggle encounters stem from a cacher looking suspicious while looking for a cache and being called out by a muggle. If having muggles stumble upon caches is common in your area, then the caches must not be hidden very well.

Anyway, I would define good vs. bad muggles this way:

Good muggle: They see you doing something weird in a weird spot. You explain to them what you're doing. They are interested in hearing about it more, help you look for the cache, or are just plain indifferent and go on their way.

Bad muggle: They see you doing something weird in a weird spot. You explain to them what you're doing. They threaten to call the cops, yell at you, or point a gun at you. You try to explain further how harmless it is, but they get even madder and/or refuse to listen.

And also:

Ugly muggle: They see you doing something weird in a weird spot. You don't even get a chance to explain what you're doing. They point a gun at you and fire. They get a sentence of 7 years and 4 months.

Oh, and if good muggles are "Guggles", and bad muggles are "Buggles", does that mean that ugly muggles are "Uggles"? :laughing:

Totally true i would say thats a better defenition, and i like your sense of humor lol :D

The best good muggles are the ones who inadvertently find a cache, and actually sign the log and leave a note describing the circumstances of the find before rehiding it. I always enjoy seeing that kind of thing when I scan a logbook after a find.

The best good muggles are the ones who inadvertently find a cache, and actually sign the log and leave a note describing the circumstances of the find before rehiding it. I always enjoy seeing that kind of thing when I scan a logbook after a find.

We like seeing that too. We've even seen some apologize for not having anything to drop in. That makes my day.

- Course it's rare these days to find a log to read. :laughing:

Never be 'sneaky.' That just leads to more problems. Caching is legal. Just don't call attention to yourself and most people will never even notice you.

Sit near the likely cache with your notebook. Toss your pencil at the location where the cache is. Go looking and start grumbling about lost eraser. Maybe buys you five minutes of looking.
Cute. I like that better than the "untied shoelace" ruse. And it could probably be adapted for those of us who use pens.

I usually keep a few plastic bags with me. Sometimes, I take one out and start picking up trash. After I find the cache, I take a break, sign the log, and go back to picking up trash. The cache goes back where I found it, the bag of trash goes in a trash can, and I continue on my way.

Sit near the likely cache with your notebook. Toss your pencil at the location where the cache is. Go looking and start grumbling about lost eraser. Maybe buys you five minutes of looking.

Start talking to yourself, like Foul Ole Ron, "I tol' 'em! I tol' 'em! Millenium hand and shrimp! Bugrit! You can blow that out of your teapot and no mistake." Might get you the locale to yourself for a bit.