Geocache Causes Lockdown at DisneyLand

Can't wait ti find out which of the non-geocaching.com websites this is listed on.

I thought about that too. The story said someone was seen putting a PVC tube into a tree. That could have been a cacher placing a new cache, and they wouldn't have known about the prohibition until they submitted it for listing and a reviewer alerted them. It's most likely a Geocaching.com cacher (just because of the number of users here compared to the others) that honestly didn't know about the prohibition. If no one had caught them, the reviewer would have alerted them and the container would have been removed. Of course, it is possible it's from one of those other sites, but based on the numbers, it's much more likely to be one of "us".

Was it actually on the grounds of the park or did the reporter "round up" to the nearest level of OMG?

The unknown object was found shortly after 7 a.m. near a ticket booth at the entrance to the Anaheim theme park, officials said. Park visitors already inside had to remain there, while other visitors had to stay outside the gates as the situation was being investigated.

The ticket booths are pretty much right in the middle of the park, so it definitely shouldn't have been there.

It wasn't all bad, though:

A tweet from the theme park news Twitter feed ThemeParkTimes read, “Since Disneyland is on a lockdown due to unidentified object ... guests inside are enjoying an empty park with walk-ons to rides.“

I think it would be smart if geocaching makes uniform containers...atleast for private property caches, I understand this might hurt the density of caches but that may be a good thing for those who hate lpc and gaurdrail micros. It seems to me like bomb threats because of the game are way to frequent.

I think it would be smart if geocaching makes uniform containers...atleast for private property caches,

uniform containers would just be plain boring and there should be no need for them. you would not run into this type of situation if the property owner/manager had given permission for the hide and had knowledge of the cache location and type of container used.

We are going to Disneyland at the end of May. I have looked up the area and there is a BOATLOAD of virtuals here already.

There is no reason to be placing a cache on the grounds. And PVC caches should be saved for the wilderness.

I would be a little pissed if a geocache closed the park on a day I was going to go!

I think it would be smart if geocaching makes uniform containers...atleast for private property caches, I understand this might hurt the density of caches but that may be a good thing for those who hate lpc and gaurdrail micros. It seems to me like bomb threats because of the game are way to frequent.

Here's a thought. How about getting permission. Better yet... How about, if you don't get permission, grow two brain cells and DON'T use a PVC pipe. And, don't put it at the gate of a presumed terrorist target?

I wonder if this thing even got published...

Here's a thought. How about getting permission. Better yet... How about, if you don't get permission, grow two brain cells and DON'T use a PVC pipe. And, don't put it at the gate of a presumed terrorist target?

Check the update. It wasn't even a geocache. It was some kind of "peaceful scroll" with a "spiritual message of goodwill" that was "intended for park guests". At first they thought it was a cache, appaently due to previous situations they had experienced, but it was not the case this time.

Unless there is a web site out there somewhere that allows people to publish coordinates of places where they have wrapped a "spiritual message of goodwill" in a PVC pipe and placed it in a tree, I don't think so.

If someone finds such a web site, can you post a link? I'd like to see how that works.

I think it would be smart if geocaching makes uniform containers...atleast for private property caches,

uniform containers would just be plain boring and there should be no need for them. you would not run into this type of situation if the property owner/manager had given permission for the hide and had knowledge of the cache location and type of container used.

agreed... to me its just been a ton of times that caches were assumed to be bombs and police cant ignore the concern because what if. permission has to be a more formal policy in my mind the hardest thing for me is how to ask for it. I held back placing caches in many places because the only places I knew how to approach getting permission was my school (I know many of the public safety guys by first name) and work (my boss liked the idea).

Permission would be impossible. All Physical Geocaches were banned at Disney World (Florida) and Disneyland (California) in 2005. Spiritual messages, I'm not so sure. Probably they are now banned. :ph34r:

So this is how you shut down Disneyland. I wonder what the real terrorist's were doing while this was going on?

I've been wondering for ten years and counting, what the 10,000 terrorists whom we were told had been trained by Al Qaeda to wreak havoc in the West have been doing all this time. I don't suppose it's just possible that 99.8% of them don't exist? No, silly me.

Edited by sTeamTraen

http://coord.info/GCF5C9

what about this ??

I'd say that French Disney apparently has a different set of rules than US Disney. I would say that it appears to be a vacation cache. I'd also say that a LOT of people have found it since its publication in 2003, and that the logbook is full. It also occurred to me that it would sure be nice if Groundspeak gave us a way to see who published a cache besides trying to scroll all the way to the bottom.

It also occurred to me that it would sure be nice if Groundspeak gave us a way to see who published a cache besides trying to scroll all the way to the bottom.

Try clicking "View Logbook" and skipping to the final page. The link to the logbook for this cache is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_logbook.aspx?guid=358b2bcd-2e83-4644-84cd-3ef6502bd138

Then click on the box "123" (at least that's what it is for me, this morning)

I don't see a standard publication log though, which I guess isn't atypical for older caches.

http://coord.info/GCF5C9

what about this ??

I'd say that French Disney apparently has a different set of rules than US Disney. I would say that it appears to be a vacation cache. I'd also say that a LOT of people have found it since its publication in 2003, and that the logbook is full. It also occurred to me that it would sure be nice if Groundspeak gave us a way to see who published a cache besides trying to scroll all the way to the bottom.

Well yeah, but the guy lives in Luxembourg, maybe as few as 100 miles away. Then againg, I live 10 miles from Canada, and I don't have any caches there. :lol:

True, but scrolling to the bottom on a 2003 placed cache won't do anything, as there were no "published" log entries back then. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that first appeared around 2008.

The ticket booths are pretty much right in the middle of the park, so it definitely shouldn't have been there.

So you have to go into the park to buy tickets to get into the park? :blink:

Sorry, that's nitpicky. Ticket booths are outside the park though, although it's all Disney property. Same difference I suppose.

Sorry, that's nitpicky. Ticket booths are outside the park though, although it's all Disney property. Same difference I suppose.

The trams from the parking area drive up to an open area between two Disney parks: Disneyland and California Adventure. You can also walk into that area from outside the park. You are definitely on the Disney property and you can buy or pick up tickets at the booths there; however you have not entered through either attraction's gates. I've always thought of it as the middle as well.

Heard the a.m. news report that ended with the "fact" that it was a geocache. Later reports mentioned the spiritual paper instead. As crowded as that area is, I can not even imagine the "stealth" folks wanting to place a cache there. Maybe that's just me.

Edited by boda

I think the title of this thread should be changed to "A scroll in PVC causes lockdown at Disneyland". :laughing: Our local news was calling the container a geocache too. I think they're calling the container a geocache because they are already familar with geocaching. :laughing: Guess we will be seeing a new flood of geocachers hiding pvc scrolls in trees now. :laughing:

I'm sure that's a terrorists dream to blow up a tree at disneyland. :laughing:

Edited by the4dirtydogs

The trams from the parking area drive up to an open area between two Disney parks: Disneyland and California Adventure. You can also walk into that area from outside the park. You are definitely on the Disney property and you can buy or pick up tickets at the booths there; however you have not entered through either attraction's gates. I've always thought of it as the middle as well.

Heard the a.m. news report that ended with the "fact" that it was a geocache. Later reports mentioned the spiritual paper instead. As crowded as that area is, I can not even imagine the "stealth" folks wanting to place a cache there. Maybe that's just me.

Most people do consider it the middle. Its the intersection of the 3 major areas.

I think the title of this thread should be changed to "A scroll in PVC causes lockdown at Disneyland". :laughing: Our local news was calling the container a geocache too. I think they're calling the container a geocache because they are already familar with geocaching. :laughing: Guess we will be seeing a new flood of geocachers hiding pvc scrolls in trees now. :laughing:

I'm sure that's a terrorists dream to blow up a tree at disneyland. :laughing:

Not A Geocache causes lockdown at Moneyland.

Think about this -- anyone with a beef against Disney could cause havoc until they place some guards (appropriatly suited as the Beagle Boys) around the outside to intercept people trying to leave items. Corporations must adapt to the times, it's wonder Disney haven't done this already, but I guess having a few security around would put the place in the red. <_<

Most people do consider it the middle. Its the intersection of the 3 major areas.

I remember going there "way back when" and those booths WERE the front gate and ticket booths. All that area now "in the middle" and beyond where the "new" areas are was parking right in front of the gates.

I haven't been to Disneyland since high school but was at Disneyworld last year. There are four Disney parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kindom and Hollywood Studios) at Disneyworld and each one has it's own set of ticket booths at the entrance to the park. I don't believe that you would ever leave Disney property traveling between any of the parks. There are no caches with containers anywhere on Disney property. We stayed in one of the deluxe Disney Resorts (hotel), one of the few that had the monorail that went directly from the hotel to two of the parks. Since we stayed at one of the resort properties it included transportation to/from the airport. As a result, I never got the opportunity to find any physical caches during my visit to Florida.

I also thought the Earthcache at Disney Paris was kind of interesting.