Mailbox type cache

Ok, I've seen two threads about putting caches on a working mailbox, and I agree with most that it's a horrible idea. I'm wondering though, could you buy a mailbox (one that isn't imprinted "... MAIL") from wal-mart, paint it so that it's obviously not a mailbox, post it away from the front of a house, and call it a cache? I might even paint "not a mail receptacle" on it...

My other 2/3rds has a jumbo mailbox about thirty feet up a tree.

No problems with approval, due to it's location. :laughing:

Air Mail

I know of one. It is in an area that used to have homes, and still has a couple of abandoned houses. The cache is listed as a letterbox hybrid, by the way, and the name on the mailbox is Geo. Cache. It is a well-loved cache with many favorites.

Good luck getting your reviewer to approve that.

Curious to know why you say that. I've seen dozens of mailboxes that have been used as a cache container -- some done up to be clearly identified as Geocaches and others that still look very much like mailboxes.

definitely seen a few mail box hides, one was in a parking lot next to a business but it clearly had the word Geocache on it. Another one was on an abandoned road, but it got archived, I guess that was still too close to a possibility of a real mail box. I wish I had the right spot for an "air mail" one, that would be so cool.