Little baggies

Hello fellow geocachers! I have this good idea for a new cache. I was going to have it a gardening theme and I would stock the cache with an assortment of different kinds of plants, fruits vegetable seeds. But I was wondering where to buy liitle bags that you can put seeds in. The ideal size would be, if you've ever bought-en a TB then the size of bag it comes in. About a 1.1/2 inch tall and 3/4 inch wide. I would stock the cache with those bags of different seeds labeling them of course and people could trade with different seeds as-well! So my question is, do you know where to buy them?

-Cheers

I get my baggies from the little racks next to the pharmacy at Safeway (they're sold to hold pills), because they're thicker than the baggies I find at craft stores.

Yeah, the craft store baggies I've found have always been pretty flimsy. The pill bags are much thicker. Better yet you can buy ever thicker bags online, though you have to buy like a thousand at a pop.

I get my baggies from the little racks next to the pharmacy at Safeway (they're sold to hold pills), because they're thicker than the baggies I find at craft stores.

Yeah, the craft store baggies I've found have always been pretty flimsy. The pill bags are much thicker. Better yet you can buy ever thicker bags online, though you have to buy like a thousand at a pop.

We were told about those at the first event we went to so made a stop at Walmart on the way home to buy some. We haven't placed out first cache yet but they have some in handy so far for the handcrafted miniatures, tokens, key-chains I've made as well as when visiting a cache and a baggie is torn we use one to replace the torn bag.

briansnat, can/will you tell me where to get the even better ones? We have a hundred or so of these but may look into buying those even if it's a thousand bags at a pop... I'm sure they'll eventually be used

briansnat, can/will you tell me where to get the even better ones? We have a hundred or so of these but may look into buying those even if it's a thousand bags at a pop... I'm sure they'll eventually be used

Just google zip lock bags and you'll see many dealers. Look for 4+ mil bags. They are quite sturdy.

We usually hit Michael's or AC Moore for zip bags. We put everything in a bag, so it could be coin size up to Totes umbrella or 64ct crayon box size - they have 'em all.

We stopped buying thicker bags for swag items that are gonna be grabbed and opened , basically a short term damp fix.

We noticed they weren't as flexible in colder weather, usually splitting at the seams, defeating their perpose.

For real large items or permanent log/swag bags in our larger hides, we use freezer bags to resist tearing at the seams.

Isn't it unwise to put anything such as seeds, soaps, candy etc in caches, due to the scents attracting animals or bugs even that can get into the cache and eat/ destroy it? That's what I was told by a veteran cacher anyways.

Im not talking about acorns and big seeds of those types im talking about squash seeds, carrot seeds, flowers etc... I would have a good airtight container that I would maintain often. I would make sure the cache is in good shape.

Isn't it unwise to put anything such as seeds, soaps, candy etc in caches, due to the scents attracting animals or bugs even that can get into the cache and eat/ destroy it? That's what I was told by a veteran cacher anyways.

Im not talking about acorns and big seeds of those types im talking about squash seeds, carrot seeds, flowers etc... I would have a good airtight container that I would maintain often. I would make sure the cache is in good shape.

yeah i agree seeds like you mentioned won't attract any animals. it would be funny if you came back and there was a squash growing in or next to your cache though. personally i would get a kick out of it :laughing:

does anyone have the product number for the little bags in walmart? I went to my local walmart and the lady said they don't have any but I think they do, would be nice to get the product number or official name and check my local store online, would like to start making this cache soon, as I have nothing to do other then study... and I don't like studying all day! Thanks in advance, right now im going to go check Safeway I think.

Cheers!

does anyone have the product number for the little bags in walmart? I went to my local walmart and the lady said they don't have any but I think they do, would be nice to get the product number or official name and check my local store online, would like to start making this cache soon, as I have nothing to do other then study... and I don't like studying all day! Thanks in advance, right now im going to go check Safeway I think.

Cheers!

Here are some 4mil bags on Amazon, all different sizes. You can get 500 for 10 bucks and if you're Prime, free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=zip+lock+4mil

Sounds like a neat idea. You can print little labels for each bag, maybe even with a picture of the plant-to-be.

Cheers!

Here are some 4mil bags on Amazon, all different sizes. You can get 500 for 10 bucks and if you're Prime, free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=zip+lock+4mil

Sounds like a neat idea. You can print little labels for each bag, maybe even with a picture of the plant-to-be.

Well I checked Safeway, Shoppers Drugmart and Walmart and still nothing! So do you think those ship to Canada and if they do im sure there is a lot on border fees... I might try going to the other end of town to try a michaels arts and crafts ...

Hello fellow geocachers! I have this good idea for a new cache. I was going to have it a gardening theme and I would stock the cache with an assortment of different kinds of plants, fruits vegetable seeds. But I was wondering where to buy liitle bags that you can put seeds in. The ideal size would be, if you've ever bought-en a TB then the size of bag it comes in. About a 1.1/2 inch tall and 3/4 inch wide. I would stock the cache with those bags of different seeds labeling them of course and people could trade with different seeds as-well! So my question is, do you know where to buy them?

-Cheers

craft stores seem to be the best bet I have found them at Craft Wherehouse is where I got mine

I have purchased bags from Ebay and Graingers. Links to follow. Get the 4 mil bags as they are thicker and stand up very well. Better than anything I have seen in a craft store or Walmart. Anyone can go to Ebay and search on 4 mil zip lock. Here is a link to a place called Graingers where they sell all sorts of industrial stuff: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/reclosable-bags/packaging-and-shipping-products/material-handling/ecatalog/N-9udZ1z0mkd8?Ndr=basedimid10071&sst=subset

4 mil bags rule!