new (oldboy) HI

MY name is paul , i live in gloucester uk.

only just joined after a nice person showed me the way.

love doing the hunting ,

any of you geo nutters live near me say hello,

not been to any meets yet but the weather looks friendly and even if its not i got a coat and wellys.

cheers hope to meet a few of you soon ,

any good un's near me?

cheers paul

MY name is paul , i live in gloucester uk.

only just joined after a nice person showed me the way.

love doing the hunting ,

any of you geo nutters live near me say hello,

not been to any meets yet but the weather looks friendly and even if its not i got a coat and wellys.

cheers hope to meet a few of you soon ,

any good un's near me?

cheers paul

Happy for any geo hunting invites at the weekends or evenins.

cheers for now paul

There are lots of good caches nearby. Be guided by "favourites" in the first instance. For example, you might prefer the first (with three favourites) to the second (with none) in the pair of caches below:

60600853-e87c-469e-bb5b-f64cf3a73e1e.png?rnd=0.8352128

It's a good idea to go for traditional caches (the white-box-with-green-lid icons shown above) to start with. Once you're used to them, you might enjoy the additional challenge of multis, puzzles, etc.

Oh, and you should attend an event. Cheltenham Event no 2 @ The Railway should be good.

Edit ... one last thing: please log your finds online. This is a personal view, but IMO you're not really geocaching properly if you won't share your experiences by writing a "Found It" (or DNF ...) log.

Edited by I!

Hi Paul, you just missed a good event meet up on the 29th, but there's another one coming up soon, the one I! mentioned. There was some mention of another being planned in Gloucester for next month too, to explain Wherigo caches.

The towpath series are a nice varied lot of caches with a good walk thrown in; there are a few nice caches dotted about in parks and unexpected places. The town centre multi cache is good (I'm told; I still haven't got the family together to do that one) but for me, the cache walks in the surrounding countryside are what's best. We're spoilt with The Forest of Dean and Wales just beyond, The Malverns, The Cotswolds and some scenic rivers and canals surrounding us. Take your pick!

Are you using a GPS, or a phone to geocache with? Not that it should make much difference, but I find I don't always get a signal with a phone in some areas.

Happy caching and welcome to the weird world of using billion dollar satellite technology to go hunting for tupperware and tiny metal cylinders! :)

Edited by Fianccetto

Have you done the severn Bore Earthcache? Just heard on the radio that there's a good Severn Bore tomorrow, and the rotary are organising a coffee & bacon roll fundraiser at Elmore Back GL2 3ST (follow signs from "The Pilot" and the A38) from 8am. The bore will pass there at around 9:50 am give or take 20 mins. Remember to take a camera and a watch so you can complete the earthcache! :)

What's a bore?

As this link explains a bore in this context is when the tide comes in and is channelled up a river, such as the Severn. It narrows over a long distance, so that the tide wave, whose top travels a bit faster than its bottom, can steepen and break into a fairly sharp front. People surf it all the way up the river.

Edited by Fianccetto