Entering coordinates on andriod

jcarodrigues

Hey all!

Just getting started geocaching. I've been using my android phone with c:geo and am wondering how i can enter coordinates to navigate to if I want to locate a cache. Should I be using a different program or can I some how enter coordinates into GoogleMaps? Super newbie question...sorry! Any help is appreciated.

I've made a few finds but have solved some mystery caches that I'd like to find. Not sure how to go about navigating to them!

Hello there,

Go to the Groundspeak web site's main page a.i. www.geocaching.com. On the righthand site and second from the top you find a link called 'Geocaching Applications'. Just click on the link and on the next page select 'Android' that is located in the center of the page. Now just follow the instructions to download the app on you Android phone or tablet.

When using this app you do not need to enter coordinates because you can use the option 'navigate to cache' from within the app.

Good luck an happy caching,

Roma51

Ron

Belgium

Stumpled upon this question and I hava a follow-up:

yes, I DO need to input and search for GPS locations - in Multistage Caches, where every stage is only in the text instead of appropriate waymarks, which btw wouldnt be shown (and thus not navigable) anyway (the waymarks I mean).

I use googlemaps for that so far, but i wish i could input 1 to x waypoints in the tool myself, where it navigates me to, just like a "normal" gps would do. Or did I just didn't find that feature? Then I appreciate any help...

I am having the same problem

I use a HTC Wildfire and great for pulling of Cache details from the Website.

if you solve lets say a mystry puzzle and work out the co-ords for the next you have to input them Manually but how do you do that?

also I want to hide a cache but don't know how to get the co-ords for the spot I want to hide it

I think we are after the same thing

its probably very simple

Budgie

I use Locus. There is a Locus FREE and a Locus PRO, both work for this.

Go to data manager, select points or a category to add a point to. I called a category "Manual Points" to store them in. Click the + to add a point. Select Coordinates (one of the many options to set a point). Enter the coords. Done.

C:geo has horizontal 'tabs' for each geocache listing. To the left of the 'details' tab is one titled 'waypoints'. If you slide over to this tab, it will allow you to add waypoint manually. It even supports waypoint projection and custom names, too.

Edited by Arndtwe

Thats a good tip Arndtwe. Overtones included :) Isn't auto text correction wonderful!

That works for waypoints of a cache. It still doesn't let you put manual points on the map but then you shouldn't have to very often.

I see. But why would you need to do this? C:geo allows you to load/save a cache for offline use. Why not just use this function instead?

Thats a good tip Arndtwe. Overtones included :) Isn't auto text correction wonderful!

That works for waypoints of a cache. It still doesn't let you put manual points on the map but then you shouldn't have to very often.

I see. But why would you need to do this? C:geo allows you to load/save a cache for offline use. Why not just use this function instead?

Dunno, just saying it is a limitation. The one that comes to mind is when you are laying out a new cache and want to mark possible locations, mark parking, bathrooms, multi-stage points for you to enter when you get home. Another scenario is wanting to lay out points for some triangulation puzzle. I used the points feature in Locus to lay out a handfull of marks around whee I work for possible cache locations for a cache I have yet to place or enter here. Can't do that with c:geo.

So, while it does not come up often, its does come up. Knowing what tool will do free points is good info to have, just as was your info about adding waypoints in c:geo. I had not needed that feature but I know its there for future reference thanks to your post. Others now know its easy to do in Locus as well. Information is good to have.

Dunno, just saying it is a limitation. The one that comes to mind is when you are laying out a new cache and want to mark possible locations, mark parking, bathrooms, multi-stage points for you to enter when you get home. Another scenario is wanting to lay out points for some triangulation puzzle. I used the points feature in Locus to lay out a handfull of marks around whee I work for possible cache locations for a cache I have yet to place or enter here. Can't do that with c:geo.

So, while it does not come up often, its does come up. Knowing what tool will do free points is good info to have, just as was your info about adding waypoints in c:geo. I had not needed that feature but I know its there for future reference thanks to your post. Others now know its easy to do in Locus as well. Information is good to have.

Most excellent! Very good and helpful to know. Hadn't thought about using locus to solve triangulation problems, thanks :D. Knowledge is priceless, keep it coming!

I think perhaps this part of the question was asked already but I did not see a response. I have solved puzzles which then give me coordinates to the cache. I did not know how to input that info into my Sprint Epic 4G. I ended up going to Google and typing in the coords as a query. That got me close but the output was just an arrow pointing to a general area. Once that arrow was placed in the middle of the street.

Am I asking the question correctly? If so, I would appreciate instructions or other directions. Thank you all very much.

Momma Nonna

FWIW, all the geocaching apps I've used (GeoBeagle, Groundspeak's Geocaching app, and Neongeo) have supported the ability to enter coordinates and then navigate to those coordinates.

We just started using our Android to geocache with. It works pretty well, but today we solved a field puzzle and we figured out how to put in a waypoint but when we try to navigate to the waypoint using the maps it doesn't give us an option. We entered the waypoints in the compass and we do get the waypoint to show up as an option there just not in the map.

Since the waypoints were a mile away from where we were the comapss feature wasn't that useful for driving purposes. Any hep?

Thanks.

C:geo has horizontal 'tabs' for each geocache listing. To the left of the 'details' tab is one titled 'waypoints'. If you slide over to this tab, it will allow you to add waypoint manually. It even supports waypoint projection and custom names, too.

This is possible in the paid app too. You Navigate to Geocache and once in the map (or satellite view) menu -> add waypoint. Then you get a dialog window to add a name and coordinates for the waypoint. You can then navigate to this rather than use the compass. There is also a "Use My Current Location" option if you are hiding a cache or just need to make some notes.

I think perhaps this part of the question was asked already but I did not see a response. I have solved puzzles which then give me coordinates to the cache. I did not know how to input that info into my Sprint Epic 4G. I ended up going to Google and typing in the coords as a query. That got me close but the output was just an arrow pointing to a general area. Once that arrow was placed in the middle of the street.

Am I asking the question correctly? If so, I would appreciate instructions or other directions. Thank you all very much.

Momma Nonna

GoogleMaps places you on streets usually. You have to type in the coords with "loc:" before... e.g. "loc:N48 12. ....", then you get to the "real" location and not the nearest street location from your coords.

Momma Nonna

It really depends on what application you are using for geocaching. Each one has its own way of entering manual waypoints. I use Locus Pro (though Locus Free was very serviceable). Its a simple matter of adding a point to the database with the proper coords. And unlike many other GC apps, it also serves as a street navigation system. So, for those puzzles that require you to travel to the final coordinate, you can navigate the streets right from Locus and get out and head to the final spot using the standard GC tools like radar and compass and bearing/distance tools.

first off ... g.s. has issue with that app because it is un-crippled for non-paying members ... of which you are not ...

one way to do multis with c geo ...

from the main screen of c geo go to "any destination", tap the coords field and fill this in, you may want to tap the "my coordinates" button first to center them on your present position so you don't have to change as many numbers.

after you fill those out go to menu > map (or navigate, whichever you use or have set up) this will put a point on the map you can navigate to ... but the cache data, and/or the cache it's self won't be on the map ... you have to back all the way back to the main map for that.

to get back to the waypoint you only need to go back to "any destination" and your most recent point is the first one under "history".

one way to do multis with c geo ...

from the main screen of c geo go to "any destination", tap the coords field and fill this in, you may want to tap the "my coordinates" button first to center them on your present position so you don't have to change as many numbers.

Thanks kantear, came across this and was exactly what i was looking for ie how to do multis with c geo. Thanks for sharing this.