Geo Notification to Text Message

Oma2KyMe

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=184

How to send Instant Notifications to your mobile phone:

1. To find the email address associated with your phone number, check this page, or search the internet for "email-to-SMS," followed by the name of your cellular service provider. You should be able to find details regarding how your mobile service provider configures their email-to-SMS addresses. The address will typically be your ten-digit phone number followed by some version of "@MobileCarrierName.com."
  2. Sign in to your Geocaching Premium account and visit your Account Details page. Find the box that says "Your Validated E-Mail Addresses" and click on "Change."
  3. Enter your email-to-SMS address and your Geocaching.com password. Click "Add Email Address."
  4. A text message that includes an email account validation link will be sent to your phone. Click on the link to validate (to do so, you will need to have internet access on your phone).
  5. Visit the Instant Notification page to add a new notification. You will have to select a cache type and log types to watch. If you want to be alerted to newly published caches, select the log type "publish listing."
  6. Set the location (central point) and distance (around that point) you want to watch.
  7. Select your email-to-SMS address in the "Send to" dropdown.
  8. Make sure "Enable Notifications" is checked and then hit the "Create Notification" button.

When you go to the page that gives you your carrier email-to-sms, what do you do if there are a total of 5 of your carrier listed?

You referring to TracFone? That's the only one I could see on that list with 5 different addresses listed.

It looks like TracFone leases the networks of other cell phone providers, so you would have to know which one your phone is on to use the correct address. Or maybe the @mmst5.tracfone.com address will automatically route it for you.

Try them. Send a message from your normal email account and see what goes through.

If you don't want to validate a new email address, or you can't on your phone, most email providers will let you set up a rule to forward messages to your phone's email. I have this rule set up under filters on GMail

Matches: subject:([GEO] Notify:)

Do this: Forward to 1234567890@mycarrier.com <-replace this with your sms#

Awesome, Thanx!

I set my phone up both ways.

I AM wanting to know if there is a way to change which notifications GC sends to my phone, though.

For instance, I have my Primary email set to recieve Publish, Archive, Log, Bookmark, Watchlist notifications....

At the same time, can I set my PHONE email to only receive Publish notifications?

I get a ton of notifications daily on my regular email (that I check on my laptop), which is not a problem....

But if I get all those on my phone, that will EAT up minutes......

Anyone know if this is possible to set up?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread: but does anyone in the UK know if Orange actually still offer this (email-to-SMS) service?

I have set things up on Groundspeak.com using the instructions as given here, but didn't receive the verification email. A search through the Orange website didn't come up with anything; there's an area to set up an @orange.net email address but when I tried this (thinking I may need to set something up at the Orange end too) it told me that "the alias is not correct". I dread speaking to their callcentre!

I do have and use (and cache with) a smartphone which has email capability, but for reasons of battery conservation, 3G data usage when away from wireless and speed, I have it set to only pick up emails when I ask it to. So I rather like the idea of getting a notification by text which I can then follow through.

I have set things up on Groundspeak.com using the instructions as given here, but didn't receive the verification email.

Have you tried just sending a regular email to the address? That's an easy way to test if you've got the right address or not.

I have - and I got an "alert" message on my phone with the email address of the sender, the subject of the email (but not the text of it) and an invitation to ring a number to have the email read to me. Went back and resent the validation email from Groundspeak, and got nothing to my phone as the instructions say, though the email appears in my Orange inbox. Am peering at settings now to see what might be wrong.

Here's something non-intuitive, but it will work with most providers.. Use the SMS app on your phone to send a message to your regular email address (such as Gmail). When you open that email, the "from" will then show the address you want to send notifications to.

Thanks; that doesn't send, or maybe it's going to but hasn't yet.

I think it must be an Orange UK issue. The email sent from my laptop/usual email address to my phone got me an alert (and weirdly, also an email failure notice), but the Groundspeak validation one just arrived as an email with no phone alert, which is kind of pointless.

All the Orange settings I can tweak have been tweaked but I fear it isn't going to work. If anybody has managed to get it to work I'd appreciate knowing how; the Orange website is a horror!

Thanks; that doesn't send, or maybe it's going to but hasn't yet.

I think it must be an Orange UK issue. The email sent from my laptop/usual email address to my phone got me an alert (and weirdly, also an email failure notice), but the Groundspeak validation one just arrived as an email with no phone alert, which is kind of pointless.

All the Orange settings I can tweak have been tweaked but I fear it isn't going to work. If anybody has managed to get it to work I'd appreciate knowing how; the Orange website is a horror!

You might want to ask about this issue over in the UK forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=35

B.

I switched wireless providers, so the e-mail address to send text to my phone changed. I tried to add this as a new e-mail address, but apparently the URL in the verification e-mail has been cut off, as I get to a page that says "Sorry, the link you followed to get here is invalid." I'd like the ability to receive notifications by SMS, but I suspect it won't work until the e-mail address is validated. Is there some other way to validate the e-mail address?

-Balde Runner

I don't think it's a good idea then. If a link get's cut off, I'd assume any info on the cache would as well. Have a Iphone or Android? I downloaded the gmail app and use that. Doesn't matter if I switch phones, providers, or move halfway across the world-as long as there is internet access I can access the same account without changing addresses or anything.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread: but does anyone in the UK know if Orange actually still offer this (email-to-SMS) service?

I have set things up on Groundspeak.com using the instructions as given here, but didn't receive the verification email. A search through the Orange website didn't come up with anything; there's an area to set up an @orange.net email address but when I tried this (thinking I may need to set something up at the Orange end too) it told me that "the alias is not correct". I dread speaking to their callcentre!

I do have and use (and cache with) a smartphone which has email capability, but for reasons of battery conservation, 3G data usage when away from wireless and speed, I have it set to only pick up emails when I ask it to. So I rather like the idea of getting a notification by text which I can then follow through.

Not sure if you're still looking to do this SJ, but I have Vodafone and Gmall and IFTTT.com works for me. Let me know if you do, and I can help you set it up.

I switched wireless providers, so the e-mail address to send text to my phone changed. I tried to add this as a new e-mail address, but apparently the URL in the verification e-mail has been cut off, as I get to a page that says "Sorry, the link you followed to get here is invalid." I'd like the ability to receive notifications by SMS, but I suspect it won't work until the e-mail address is validated. Is there some other way to validate the e-mail address?

-Balde Runner

I have the same issue. I set up the alert and got the verification notice but the link doesn't work. Yahoo mail will let me forward mail but I have to forward ALL of it. I can't select what to forward. I really don't want to set up yet another E-Mail account(Gmail) to make this work.

I tried this 3 times and it does not give me a drop down menu to add my cell number? what am I doing wrong

You won't find anywhere to enter a cell number. As described in the instructions above, you need to determine the email-to-SMS address for your phone number. Once you have that, you'd add it as an additional email address in your Account Settings > Email Preferences.

If this isn't the problem you're having, you'll need to provide more detail about what you're doing, on which page, and especially which browser you're using (some parts of the website don't work right with some browsers).

I tried this 3 times and it does not give me a drop down menu to add my cell number? what am I doing wrong

You won't find anywhere to enter a cell number. As described in the instructions above, you need to determine the email-to-SMS address for your phone number. ... >snip< ...

For example, to send an email as a text to a Verizon cell phone, you would use phonenumber@vtext.com where phonenumber is the 10-digit cell phone number. Each provider has their own domain (the @whatever part), but they pretty much use the phone number as the individual email recipient portion (before the @).

You can do a simple web search for something like

email to at&t cell phone

or

email to sprint cell phone

to find the particulars. Some of them use a separate domain for text (example ##########@txt.att.net) versus multi-media message (example ##########@mms.att.net).

I've been doing this a lot lately because I have lousy cell reception at home (need to get one of those repeater thingies), and I can sometimes receive messages, but a lot of sends fail. So I send via Thunderbird using a profile that makes it look like my cell phone sent the message. I've added contacts for a lot of my family and friends using their appropriate ##########@domain.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Straight Talk (by Walmart) is a little odd. It actually uses either Verizon or AT&T as the underlying carrier. My pastor had been using Verizon with a regular contract, but he switched to Straight Talk keeping the same cell number. I tried to send him the hymn numbers for next Sunday using the Verizon #@vtext.com and it bounced back. So I tried AT&T's #@txt.att.net and it worked.

Edited by MountainWoods

Ok, I'm going nuts with this one. I can sent a text to my phone from my computer using he format phone#@vtext.com (cell phone is Verizon)

I do the exact same thing with the geocaching website, click to verify, get a text message on the cell that says to click to verify, and BOOM address will not verify.

ANY ideas why this will not work? Spent lots of time on this one with no solution in sight.

Bob