Natural England

eusty

Anyone had any success with contacting them?

They say to email them in the first instance, but I've done it twice and heard nothing back.

Thank you for contacting the Natural England Customer Enquiries Mailbox. Please note that your enquiry will be logged and you will receive a response within 10 working days.

..but nowt, even though I've left it a month between each email :(

Guess I'll just have to ring the regional office......

Edited by eusty

In many instances you don't have to contact them. Ultimately it's the landowner who has to give permission, as he owns the land! He legally mustn't allow activities which may breach the SSSI designation or whatever, but box hunting usually isn't going to if you're not placing it in the only clump of rare plants in the area. Most restrictions are about farming practices, quarrying etc so that the natural ecosystem isn't changed. If the landowner is happy, you should be good to go. If they want reassurance, then contact NatEng to check they are happy.

If you first contact NatEng they will point out you still need the landowner's permission.

That's my understanding of the way it works, but specific cases may vary depending on the landowner and the designation. B)

Yes it's a SSI area. The problem its that I don't know who the land owner would be as its on a coast line.

I was also thinking about an earthcache in a different location which I would have to contact them about.....not sure if I'll bother now!

In many instances you don't have to contact them. Ultimately it's the landowner who has to give permission, as he owns the land! He legally mustn't allow activities which may breach the SSSI designation or whatever, but box hunting usually isn't going to if you're not placing it in the only clump of rare plants in the area. Most restrictions are about farming practices, quarrying etc so that the natural ecosystem isn't changed. If the landowner is happy, you should be good to go. If they want reassurance, then contact NatEng to check they are happy.

If you first contact NatEng they will point out you still need the landowner's permission.

That's my understanding of the way it works, but specific cases may vary depending on the landowner and the designation. B)

In my experience, if the Magic Map says SSSI, the Reviewer will automatically request you to contact NE. And yes, the landowner will still need to be involved, but the good thing (in my case) was that NE (of course) knew the landowner and facilitated the contact. Otherwise, like the OP, I wouldn't have known who the landowner was (it didn't turn out to be who I would have suspected).

The earthcache is at Wolferton so I'm pretty sure it's the Sandringham Estate who own the land there....I may contact them before NE.

The other one is here (which you've done Sue!) I had to move it slightly (and rename it) and it's caused all sorts of problems :(

In my experience, if the Magic Map says SSSI, the Reviewer will automatically request you to contact NE. And yes, the landowner will still need to be involved, but the good thing (in my case) was that NE (of course) knew the landowner and facilitated the contact.

If you haven't supplied any landowner permission details then I'm not surprised reviewers would suggest NE. If you have sorted out permission and include the details I wouldn't have thought they would ask you to contact NE. It is the landowner who has to decide what happens on their land within any restrictions from the SSSI designation. If they aren't sure, obviously they can cover themselves by asking (or you asking) NE if they object. However, as you say, it can be useful to ask them if you don't know about the landowner.

I feel fairly sure that NE also have to give their permission, although in my experience the landowner has contacted them. Perhaps a reviewer could clarify. After all, the landowner might have no idea what's suitable and what's not and might only be vaguely aware of the SSSI restrictions, not to mention that he might be totally uninterested.

I feel fairly sure that NE also have to give their permission, although in my experience the landowner has contacted them. Perhaps a reviewer could clarify. After all, the landowner might have no idea what's suitable and what's not and might only be vaguely aware of the SSSI restrictions, not to mention that he might be totally uninterested.

The Landowner Gives Permission

The Designating Authority (NE, SNHi or CCW) can only give Approval and not Permission. Unless they are also the Landowner.

It is up to each Landowner to decide, if they require the Designating Authority to give Approval, If just the Landowner gives Permission, then the cache will be Published. Because at the end of the day, they are the ones, legally responsible for all activities that take place on the Designated Area. The Designating Authority only has a Enforcement Role, if any Activity causes any damage, or will cause damage to the Designated Area.

The same applies if the location is a Scheduled Monument. Permission has to come from the Landowner, and Approval from the Designating Authority, if the Landowner requests that.

At no time do the Reviewers require that the Designating Authority give Approval, that is a decision solely for the Landowner to make. Caches in Designated areas have been published with the Landowner giving Permission without reference to the Designating Authority, others have been Published after the Landowner required Approval off the Designating Authority.

Deci

Edited by Deceangi

Deceangi seems to have clarified the situation. You have to get permission from the landowner in the normal fashion (as Martlakes understood). NE are irrelevant from our point of view, and unanswered e-mails to them won't stop you going ahead.

So the only difference between a cache on an SSSI and one on an undesignated patch of land is that the reviwer won't publish the SSSI cache until you give details of landowner permission. In the other case, you can keep permission details to yourself.