Non-standard characters in logs

heartstones1

I have recently placed a puzzle cache (GC3DHJ5) based on the International Phonetic Alphabet (eg fənɛtɪks ɪz ə bræntʃ əv lɪŋgwɪstɪks ðæt kəmprajzəz ðə stədi əv ðə sawndz əv hjumən spitʃ. ) These non-standard characters are shown properly on the cache description. If someone submits a log then the characters are shown properly in the email that I get as cache owner. However, when the log is shown on the cache page it appears with lots of "?" in place of the non-standard characters.

Several finders submitted logs written in IPA, which was a great way to continue the theme of the cache, but had to delete them and replace them with normal logs.

Is there some way that logs can be submitted so that they'll be rendered properly?

wrong thread, sorry

As I seem to have posted nothing useful, I'll add what little I know on the subject.

Logs accept a few fonts, and some BB code, similar to, but less than, the code used in this forum.

I'm somewhat surprised to see the international alphabet font in your post by this forum, but not surprised that it isn't accepted in cache page logs.

Those logs don't take html, either.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I have recently placed a puzzle cache (GC3DHJ5) based on the International Phonetic Alphabet (eg fənɛtɪks ɪz ə bræntʃ əv lɪŋgwɪstɪks ðæt kəmprajzəz ðə stədi əv ðə sawndz əv hjumən spitʃ. ) These non-standard characters are shown properly on the cache description. If someone submits a log then the characters are shown properly in the email that I get as cache owner. However, when the log is shown on the cache page it appears with lots of "?" in place of the non-standard characters.

Several finders submitted logs written in IPA, which was a great way to continue the theme of the cache, but had to delete them and replace them with normal logs.

Is there some way that logs can be submitted so that they'll be rendered properly?

I have similar problems on one of my hides which has a Russian flavour. Anyone trying to enter Cyrillic characters ends up with ??????. Some loggers have resorted to images http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3db2e23c-d8c6-4871-a45b-7e772bbbc6b2

For logs you can use html entities.

I tried to give and example, but the browser display the unicode rather than the html entity code. It generally an ampersand followed by the entity name and semicolon, or instead of the entity name a hash mark followed by the decimal code for the character. There are websites that will convert unicode to html entities for you.

Link for log with rendered non-traditional characters - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=8c2456e1-5f85-42e6-839a-8de5ca6bf7c3

log written as: k& #601;mprajz& #601;z ð& #601; st& #601;di & #601;v ð& #601; sawndz & #601;v hjum& #601;n spit& #643;
kəmprajzəz ðə stədi əv ðə sawndz əv hjumən spitʃ

Thanks Toz, learned something new.

To the original poster, this looks okay on a cache page; the email version shows the html entities.

I introduced a space between the & # in the code block above so it would render for purposes of illustration.