The ORC geocoin

ECplus3

Have you ever rushed out after work to get the FTF on a newly published cache only to find that an Old Retired Cacher (O.R.C.) has already nabbed it?

This coin is for you!

Are you an O.R.C. [or soon to become one... Ted?] and proud of it?

This coin is for you too!

One of these days we all hope to join your ranks!

PHD12400_mintart.jpg

Just a few tweaks and I'll be ready to order samples.

I expect this one to be available mid-April.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Have you ever rushed out after work to get the FTF on a newly published cache only to find that an Old Retired Cacher (O.R.C.) has already nabbed it?

This coin is for you!

Are you an O.R.C. [or soon to become one... Ted?] and proud of it?

This coin is for you too!

One of these days we all hope to join your ranks!

PHD12400_mintart.jpg

Just a few tweaks and I'll be ready to order samples.

I expect this one to be available mid-April.

YES (soon to be) and proud of it and will need to get a few of these babies before I'm on a fixed income :D:PB)

That has come out really well, I really like the Black Nickel one. Looks like I am going to have to save again :)

I'm just going to work out a payment plan with him :laughing::blink:

A few more purchases and I should have enough to drive up and visit you again. :D :D

hah, cute! :angry: Those darn ORC's....

Now you have to make a SAHM coin for me....Stay At Home Mom. That's how I get all the FTF's around here!

Agreed, I'm a SAHD with three little monkeys which is good/bad for my FTF addiction. Been beat out many a time by the ORCs :blink:

These are definitely going on the list to pickup.

The ORC coins will be arriving today!

Packages will be done up tonight and in the mail tomorrow.

The remainder should be available in the webstore by midnight tonight.

In the meantime, I thought I would run a quick cointest.

Here are the rules:

1. Post all of your answers to this thread.

2. One post per participant.

3. Cointest ends Wednesday July 25th at midnight Atlantic time.

Here is what I want to see:

1. The number of FTFs you have logged

2. A quick story about the fastest FTF you logged (from time of publication to the time you found it)

3. When you expect/hope to (or did) become an ORC ;)

The prize winner will be drawn randomly from all entries and will receive an LE ORC coin.

I'll start off:

1. FTFs: 23

2. My quickest find was on a cache hidden just up the street from me, and just a short distance from my first hide. I grabbed my son (who was 3 at the time) and jogged up the street with him on my shoulders. He wasn't too keen on bushwhacking, but braved the raspberry bushes with me and found the cache within about 20 minutes of publication. We left an unactivated coin for the next to find and traded some other stuff (my son wanted all the play-doh).

3. I will be an ORC in about 12 years (okay, it is 11 years, 11 months, and 19 days. But I'm not counting.)

;)

1. FTFs: 30

2. My quickest find was with my children late in the day. They were had just gotten ready for bed and were in their jammies when I got an email that a new cache was published. It was roughly 11 miles away in the next town where there was 3 other active FTF hounds so no time was spent changing clothes. After the nerve wracking drive, we were able to find the cache quickly and best of all, a blank log. We left a small compass rose token for the Second To Find. Total time was about 17 min (1 min for getting the email and rushing out the door, 15 minutes for the drive and 1 minute to find the cache and sign the log)

3. I will be an ORC in about 19 years

Thanks for the cointest :)

Here are my answers:

1. Number of FTFs: 7 (I stopped going for FTF after I got these for various reasons)

2. I think the fastest FTF was my first one. I got an email notification about a new mystery cache close to my home after midnight and I started immediately to solve it. I don't know how long it took but for sure I went to bed very late in the night and wanted to go for the FTF right before getting to work early. When I woke up I hurried and went out (very sleepy) even without having a breakfast. In the end I got it and the owner was very surprised that somebody found it so quick. He sent me a mail to congratulate me and asked if I took the prize for the FTF. dadgum, I was so sleepy that I didn't see that there was a prize for me inside :o

3. More than 20 years for me to become an ORC :lol:

1. FTFs: 4

2. Quickest FTF: It was just over 24 hours. I had already gotten 2 FTF's from the CO of the cache and even though I saw the cache available the first day, I passed it off to allow someone else the opportunity. However, since no one had logged it by the next day, I couldn't just leave it be... So after being published for 24 hours, I made the 1.5 hour drive south to log it and drop off a few goodies. :D

3. I won't become an ORC for almost 40 years... Sadly I must pay my debt to society and log in the years of work to make sure I can become an ORC someday ;)

FTF's - 10 (not a big FTF cacher but I do get a thrill every once in a while)

After a Meet/Greet/Eat event on the last day of January, had come home and turned on the computer (no iphone then) and it was the slowest upload (even with high-speed internet). Got to the site within 8 mins, 2 km away and noticed no tire tracks (yay) had to use bare fingers to get the cache out and ran to the car to sign (actually Ki did, I had my fingers on the defrost on high) the back to its spot. As we pulled away car(s) lights lit up behind us. Just had to turn around and do a little victory dance for them :D

:D:D:D:D:D July 1st 2012 :D:D:D

Sadly i missed the presale. :(

Well now i try my luck via the cointest. :D

1. The number of FTFs you have logged

32 at the moment

2. A quick story about the fastest FTF you logged (from time of publication to the time you found it)

The fastest FTF was about 30 Minutes after publish - it was a multi with many many numbers to count - but it was a "remake" - and the owner had used exactly the same questions - so we could log this cache like a traditional - i had remembered the summ of the numbers. :D

3. When you expect/hope to (or did) become an ORC ;)

looooong time to go - if the age stays at 67 years here in germany - i have about 31 years left to become an ORC

1) FTF's = 9 so far...

the number might shows small.. but... I only have 52 finds (that includes 2 events...), so... 9 FTF in 52 finds.. is not that bad.. am I correct? it is almost 1/5 or 1/6 of my finds...

2) Hmm... all my ftfs were made the day after the publish.. but.. I have 3 that were made the same day! the quickest took me about 5 minutes (maybe even less..) only just to leave home and go find it! the cache was in the Ancient Stadium of Rhodes... (archived now...), which is very close to my home.. I went with my father with our motorbike... but really there was no way to miss that FTF.. I know the area so well.. I usually go for walks there with my father.. so I feel that it is like my back yard... plus that I used to be the guard there (guard of antiquities..) so...

it was a very quick find of course and without a GPS! It was my real first FTF as a geocacher as my first one was in an Earthcache.. so no logbook to write! I didn;t take anything.. and left a pathtag and a phonecard! unfortunatelly there were issues with the cache and someone started stealing from there.. the cache changed location and everything was great until once again we had the same.. when the box was stollen the owner archived it! :(

3) to be ORC?? huh... that's a nail in my heart! I have no idea if I will ever be one! :(

with the crisis in greece.. I do not know if I will be ever retired even if I will want it..!!

At the moment when you go 65 you can retire.. but they are thinking to take it even up to 70.... on the other hand... if you do not have enough work stamps... (that you worked for years..) maybe you will have to work until you get the right number... and with the situation that we have now.. that there are no jobs etc... and the fact the most of the jobs are seasonal.. (so no 300 or more stamps but 150 per year..) I do not think I will be retired...ever.... I will probably be an OC (with the missing R....)

anyway.... if the retiring age stays at 65.... I still need 28 years... but if I have to count my working days etc... just forget it... I will probably be one of the some thousands still working mummies archeologists will find in the future... :laughing:

1. I think I have 530ish FTFs.

2. The quickest FTF I have gotten from publish to log is 7 minutes. It was on a cache just a few miles from home and I was in the e-mail when it came through. I quickly loaded it and was out the door. I was onsite in less than 3 minutes and made a very quick find. I raced home and had my log submitted 7 minutes after it published.

3. A few years ago after GW7 in Bell Buckle I went into FTF recovery. I still fall off the wagon from time to time, but I would consider myself an ORC.

Thanks for the cointest.

Only 3 FTFs...I live in a really tough area :rolleyes:

Quickest was about 30 minutes from posting to finding

Just before leaving work one day I decided to check for new caches. One only about a mile from work had just been posted so I thought why not.

I drove to the park and proceeded to GZ without seeing a soul. I was a little apprehensive as the difficulty was listed as a 3.5. Luckily the cache was in the first place I looked and I had a nice new log to sign.

On the way back to the car I crossed paths with 2 groups of the usual FTF hounds, good tiong I made a quick find :D

Age wise I could be an ORC but I have a great job, great boss, and I can finally afford to do all things I wished I could do when the Kids were at home.

Looks like I'll join the other ORC's in about 4 1/2 years

Edited by TeamEccs21

1. FTFs: 390

2. A few years back, I was logging finds at the end of my lunch hour. Just before I finished, a new cache published .11 away. I looked at Google Maps, grabbed the coords, and *drove* to GZ. ;-) I found the cache and returned to my desk, exactly 11 minutes after receiving the notification e-mail. A few people mentioned they saw the notification, opened the cache page, and immediately saw my FTF. That was probably my fastest!

3. I should be an ORC in about 10 years or so. At least, that's my hope!

Edited by JJG10101

1. FTFs - 124

2. Fastest was B.A.T. Cache (GC3615V) which was only .8 miles from home, published at night so I zipped up the road and made the grab in the dark.

3. I'm lucky enough to already be an ORC at the ripe old age of 34, I'm a stay at home dad with 3 boys and we run all over Gods green Earth chasing FTFs and just having fun. We even bring mom along once in a while and share an FTF with her. B)

1. I don't keep track of my FTFs anymore. I used to keep a log but now there are some intense FTF hounds here so it is very rare that I get one. I don't have a smartphone so I don't get notifications of them until way too late. I've been told you can mark them in GSAK but since I don't use it much it would be hard to go back through 3100+ finds. Sooo I hope a guestimate is ok. I knopw I have had at least 3 since the beginning of the year and overall I would say somewhere between 50 and 70.

2. The quickest one was about an hour after publication. I was on the computer and saw the posting but had a few things to do before I could leave. When I was ready I checked and it hadn't been logged yet. The FTF hounds here log that it was found from their phones on the spot. I needed a cache for that calendar date so decided to give it a try since STF woiuld be ok for a challenge cache. Was I ever surprised to find a blank log! One of the FTF hounds logged that if he had realized it was still available after an hour he would have been all over it. LOL

3. ORC hmm not sure. Hard to answer. It really depends on how you define old. ;) I supposed I could be one now but don't really want to be. No that's not right because I'm not old......I'll go with the not sure answer here. :D

1. 90 FTFs. I was one of those FTF hounds in the next town over that scificollector mentioned!

2. My fastest FTFs have all been about 20 minutes. My first FTF was that way. I was online when the notice came through, and it was about a 2 mile drive away from the house in a park that closed at dark and the sun was already slipping below the trees so with the kids in their pjs we took off. The fading light made it more challenging than it might have been but we found it within 10 mins of arriving at the park.

3. I will be a YRC (Young Retired Cacher!) in around 8 years, but that probably won't last long before I have to find a second career. So ORC status will probably be achieved about 20 years after that.

1. 80 FTF

2. Fastest FTF for us as posted by the cache owner. 7:38 pm Cache Report Submitted 8:24 pm listing published on geocaching.com 9:33 pm meffed by seekerfamily way to go. Found this one right outside one of our favorite restaurants. Welcome to Moe's II - the cache is now archived due to construction of the road. This was on 12/17/05.

3. Who knows when we will become ORCs. Got the O and the C but that R part is probably a long way off.

Thanks for the cointest.

1. 3 FTF 2. The quickest was within about an hour or so (was same day) of it being published, it was down the road from us and we grabbed our baby at the time and I believe the Geohound and went to make the find:)3. Oh right now I'm a sahm, but I find it harder to make FTFs with two kids 3 and under ;) so I'm still along ways off from being and ORC unless when they go away to college I retire and never go back to work, wonder if Geodad would be okay with that....hmmmm

Edit, I just realized, I've never posted here only lurked.......

Edited by Team Roxie Doxie

Oh, and I managed to get an FTF last night! 28 minutes from publication to back home and logging it online. It would have been quicker, but I missed the publication notice because I was fiddling with coin designs. :D

I also skipped two other possible FTFs because they would have required bushwhacking and it was after dark and me without a flashlight. If they're still there after work though...