Trying to bring cachers to a dead area

Dan2099

My small town has 1 cache, and people come too it about once every month, Im hoping to increase that number by making several caches, my family and I own a lot of farmland so placement isn't an issue but I want unique caches to draw the crowd. I am thinking of making them all themed caches like Batman, Green Arrow, Dr Who. What do you all think? What else should I do to bring people in?

My small town has 1 cache, and people come too it about once every month, Im hoping to increase that number by making several caches, my family and I own a lot of farmland so placement isn't an issue but I want unique caches to draw the crowd. I am thinking of making them all themed caches like Batman, Green Arrow, Dr Who. What do you all think? What else should I do to bring people in?

Okay, theres two majority group geocachers that you can bring in. The number runners, and the people who love epic caches.

Since you have farmland, it's doubtful you'd attract any number runners, especially with the already low saturation.

Considering you have lots of land, you could make some creative traditional caches, or one long multi around your entire farmland (The traditionals will probably bring more people than one cache).

One thing you could do, if you really wanted to get creative. How about a mystery? Like, you could make up an entire plot line. Maybe a theft that has to investigated, maybe a missing person you have to find. You could even have props in each one.

Not a multi, but each one could be a traditional.

Puzzle caches, high level difficulty. something that people would open an event just to get people together to attmept.

Keep in mind that would only be a couple few times a year at best.

A better idea would be to have more than one cache. There's gotta be a lamp-post skirt around somewhere.

Hmm, as a seperate point, you say you live in johnson city on your profile. But that area is pretty bad for cache saturation. But it is far from "one cache". You have more like 200 - 300.

Well I live in Johnson city during the week my wife goes to college here but I live in a small town in kentucky called lily. Funny fact the once cache in our town someone hid on our farm

If you want to draw people, don't bother with a multi or puzzle cache. People often avoid them.

If you want to draw people you're going to have to do traditionals, but make them exciting and worth coming for.

Big cache containers are a fine idea. Something unique would be good, like a life size fake cow, or something memorable.

Find some heavily populated cache areas, and do a search on which caches have the most favorite points. Take a good look at those. Even email the cache owners.

One's here that draw include unique containers, fantastic places, or unique ideas, such as the tubular series that has been copied all over.

The one I can give away, because it has been copied so much, is the one that's an upright tube with a couple of holes in the bottom. You plug the holes with your fingers, and fill the tube with water (often takes two people) and the cache floats to the top.

People often use containers that are totally submersible, the best I've seen is from West Marine supply store. It's a very small container that's totally submersible with an o'ring seal.

Think "memorable," something people will tell all their friends about.

When I think of memorable caches I think of the tubular series, where each cache you have to do something different to get the cache.

I think of the 55 gallon drum with 3500 film cans in it. One of them had the log in it. I hated that cache, but I'll never forget it. :laughing:

Think creative. Think original. Think unforgettable. People will pass the word and go out of their way to come to your cache(s).

I think of one that I didn't even get to yet (is it still there?) It's a big board with electrical outlets in it made just for the cache. There's a bunch of cords. You've got to plug the correct cords into the correct outlets to get the cache. That's one that won for the WA state cache of the month.

Check this site for other "Caches of the month"

WSGA links on right side of page for CAche of the Month

I think a combination of caches would be good. Put a few easy ones out there on the farm fence line. Use unique containers or something to make them more than just a park and grab, but easy enough to pull in the folks who are just going to zip through and grab the quick ones. Then place a few more difficult or elaborate ones for the people who have the whole day to kill. You could easily put 5 2/2 caches out there for the numbers runners, and another handful of more interesting caches for people with more time on their hands. Yesterday I grabbed series of 5 caches at lunch that were all pretty easy but what made them interesting is that most of them were in unique containers - a black bird, a snake, a turtle, a spider, etc. It made it a little more fun than just a key-holder on a guard rail even though they weren't any more difficult.

I just started in December and the majority of caches that I have found have been P&G's - mostly due to time and weather constraints right now. I work 50 miles from home so often run out at lunch time in the middle of a big city and grab what I can or stop quickly on the way home. Once the weather warms up and it stays light out longer I'll be in for some more involved caches that take me to more interesting places as I'll have more time.

looking at the caches to the north of that town, they were all listed in the last few years and have strangely enough all about the same # of finds, 50.

So, most likely, no matter what you list, you probably can get about 50 finds in a year or two if you make it a normal run of the mill cache. Nothing wrong with that.

I see there are a number of earth caches but none nearby, including Cumberland Falls Earthcache, which seems to be a local favorite 44 KM away. No letterboxes though, no wherigos, not much of variety in the area. Few puzzles, few multis. Also no traditional or any non-Earth Cache for a good while has any sort of high favorite points.

So, the potential is there to make the coolest traditional in the area and maybe folks will flock to it. If you do not have such grand ideas how to make a cool custom cache or something, I'd do a letterbox or Wherigo so you can have the only one in the area and folks who like stuff different will try it and folks like me who are anywhere near the area will notice that cache from a distance and try it out.

I'll second lamoracke's suggestion: adding some different cache types to the mix would help bring folks in. Look up your local geology and try to develop an earthcache. Try your hand at carving and create a custom stamp for a letterbox (or, if you carve at my mediocre level, buy a cool one). Highlight a cool local spot or historic cemetery by making a multi cache with one or more virtual (question to be answered) stages. Create a puzzle cache based on local history. If you're feeling daring, try your hand at a Wherigo. Heck, you could even try to coordinate with your local reviewer to publish your caches on a specific date and host an event cache.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

A lot depends on what you're looking for. If you just want lots of "Found It" logs, then a numbers run trail is the way to go. But since you want to create "unique caches to draw the crowd", you're looking for the ingredients for a "destination" cache, something where a group of geocachers would be happy to drive an hour or more to the cache site, and then spend an hour or more working on the cache together.

Thinking about the "destination" caches I've found, most of them have been multi-caches or puzzle multi-caches (listed as mystery/puzzle caches). They've been more involved adventures. Some have had a theme that provided a framework for the puzzle, but that isn't necessary, and the them shouldn't get in the way. Some have been night caches (using either reflectors or UV lights). Some have been puzzle multi-caches with a variety of challenges that give everyone in the group a chance to participate.

The ones that have been traditional caches have been part of a bigger challenge, possibly with a geocoin, pathtag, or similar reward offered for completing the bigger challenge. Or they've been T5 caches that have required special skills and equipment, or a trip organized by someone who could teach the necessary skills and provide the necessary equipment.

I know others have told you to avoid multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches. But in my experience, few traditional caches are "unique caches to draw the crowd". But it is a fine balance. If it's too easy, then it won't be interesting. If it's too hard, then people will certainly talk about it, but few people will actually do it.

My geocaching partner and I like to go on daytrips so I will look for an area/town where we can spend the day and do several caches. We're old so we don't do any caches that require very long hikes, moderate hikes are okay and my partner doesn't climb. A variety of different cache types is nice. We also explore the area and visit any special landmarks. My partner likes looking for old buildings and historical sites, I like waterfalls and parks so if there are any caches near those we're more apt to do them. Just make a fun day of it for cachers. Even so, don't expect a lot of people, that's just the way it goes sometimes.

go for it! I appreciate a good, clever find and plan to place some of my own. :) It's not a bad idea though to throw in a good one in next to a bunch of micros that others have done, as some people do like the numbers thing and having a bunch together will increase the find rate of all of them.

I must say though that if every cache was full size or regular, I'd get bored with them too. I'm glad they are relatively scarce and appreciate the efforts of those who do place micros.. I just have to take them in measured doses until it gets warm out and I whip out the road bike and circle the Watertown area to get all those close proximity ones.

Edited by sholomar

I would come over to a variety of caches.. Maybe all with a theme? Cattle rustling? Range wars? Whatever. Anyway, some traditionals, some multis (maybe projection multis), and a mixture of solve-at-home puzzles and field puzzles.

JW

Instead of making the effort to place some unique and interesting caches, place a hundred indistinctive caches using cheap containers and banal hide methods in mundane areas. The people will flock there.

Edited by briansnat

Make a spooky night cache with a story to go along with it. At the end will be a creative container to go along with your story. I am currently making one with a "phoenix lights" theme where the cacher has to take on the role of a FBI agent like on the xfiles. they will follow the clues to a spaceship wreck which is the cache container.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights

Use all of these ideas (unique containers, large containers, night caches, different types, etc.) and put them in a SHAPE! We've been looking at all of the smiley faces, signal heads, airplanes, etc. but none are close enough to us. Maybe something unique for your area, high school mascot, local industry, whatever.

...I want unique caches to draw the crowd.

Since you live there I'll trust you know the general climate of the local area, but often times in rural areas an influx of strange people and cars which are unfamiliar to the locals can arouse suspicion or cause issues.

Be careful what you wish for is all I'm sayin'...

Instead of making the effort to place some unique and interesting caches, place a hundred indistinctive caches using cheap containers and banal hide methods in mundane areas. The people will flock there.

I know its said in jest but this actually is true. If your ONLY interest is bringing PLENTY cachers then carpet bomb the area with caches. They don't have to be mundane P & G's though. I just did a GREAT series just SE of Tuscaloosa in a wildlife management area....it was my primary target driving up from New Orleans. We spent two great days caching the area and I never saw another car. There were regulars, smalls, micro's all hidden using different techniques in the woods. This is caching at its best....the experience wasn't cheapened by the fact there was another just up the road in was enhanced. I've never understood the " less is more " mentality. There will be folks that say only one or two caches should have been placed to bring folks to this great forest.....you gotta be kidding me ! Its like that song, there's no such thing as a girl too pretty or car too fast. YOU CANNOT HAVE TOO MANY QUALITY CACHES IN A BEAUTIFUL MUGGLE FREE AREA.

To the OP, hide AS MANY AS YOU CAN......also make them nice hides in nice containers.......you build it and THEY WILL COME. :)

As other have noted, if you want swarms of people to come, a power trail will do the trick.

If you actually want to do something special a couple of puzzle caches, crafty container or physical challenges (tree climbs or swamp treks) would do the trick. And you'll probably gather lots of favorite points.

Examples: Tickle the Sky, Lost Cities, Melvin's Multiple Madness

Series Patterns seem to be the latest craze. Perhaps you can go that route.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=291053

A Geo-Park might also be cool too. Some place where you can find a Traditional, Multi, Puzzle, Letterbox Hybrid, Wherigo and Earthcache (and throw in a Waymark and Geocahing Challenge just for fun). You can place the associated challenge cache there too! ;)

Since you indicate that you own property in the general area, you might have a little more flexibility to your hides too since the likelihood of hunters and muggles is minimal. Like an elaborate night cache, a cache that include electronics, or has a special construction or setup.

Good luck! :)

A power trail will draw cachers, but a good one requires a lot of space. Cachers will come, but the trail is unlikely to generate other hides. GeoArt is popular, but somewhat rough on the terrain as people will follow a single route.

An epic cache is a great idea. I would suggest a mystery cache based on a great theme. However, you should have a handful of traditional, not too tough, but creative caches around. That way, even if someone does not complete the mystery, they won't go home empty handed.

As far as epic caches, I'm thinking of something in the realm of the Otis Pug caches or even Quantum Leap (in Texas). Note, that setting these up will take a lot of effort and it is unlikely anyone could duplicate Quantum Leap or even come close, but with some effort you could make a passable facsimile. Send me a message if you need some info on any of these.