Southern Hemisphere Co-ordinates

Tuena

I was just reading the topic " Is Waymarking a Failure" on the old forum site & it prompted me to bring this topic up.

I've only recently started Waymarking in earnest & am enjoying it however it irks me that I need to continuously edit my listing to account for my geographical location. Progressing to submission of the Waymark invariably requires an edit to change the co-ords that have reverted to N & W. Editing doesn't guarantee acceptance so I may need to do that again. If I need to edit the text then in 99% of the occasions I will need to do another edit to change the co-ords. This is frustrating & adds considerably to the time it takes to finalize a Waymark.

Do I just have to grin & bear it or will Groundspeak tweak their system to recognise us southern cousins?

(I did a search to see if this has been discussed before however the search just took me to the general geocaching forums).

Yes, this is a known bug, and Groundspeak technicians have tried to fix it, but it persists. It affects all of us who are not in the NW quadrant of the globe! It is quite annoying, of course. I can't predict when or if it will ever be fixed.

I've tried all different routines to avoid it, but it seems so random that I can't reproduce any pattern, so there is no "work around" that I know of.

There has also been the occurrence of a listed waymark changing hemisphere's.

I will be a little bit parochial now - please bear with me. Tuena would know of the Iriquois helicopter on the pole just on the left hand side of the highway as you cross the Shoalhaven River going south. This is a listed waymark and one time it decided to disappear from the local area waymarks. I eventually tracked it down to somewhere between California and Hawaii in the middle of the ocean after both S and E coords switched to N and W :blink: . This was well after it had been successfully listed!

I normally use Google as my browser but every now & again it fails & I revert to Internet Explorer as I am at the moment. I just completed a waymark, edited it, added a link, edited it again, decided to add another picture & all the while Waymarking co-operated by never missing a southern hemisphere beat. I think that helicopter is a bit like me - gets bushwacked occasionally.

Yes, indeed. I have mentioned this from time to time, and from time to time it is a more or less common problem. I can only suggest, as was suggested to me, using a minus sign "-" in your coordinates. This bypasses the erratic coordinate selectors. Hang in there, I am sure one day it will be fixed. One day.