Pocket Query Wish List

Egnix

(Sorry if this has been discussed already...I haven't seen one of these yet...)

I've really been liking the ability to look up caches on my Palm Pilot...but I do have a few things I think would be helpful...

On the cache info page, indicate if the cache is micro/normal/etc. I'd like to take the appropriately sized cache item with me on the hunt.

List travel bugs on the cache page. Twice now, I've had people ask if the cache had a bug and I told them "it doesn't say". icon_frown.gif

(An extra bonus would be a link to a travel bug page so you can see it's goal - handy for knowing not to grab a bug wanting to go in a direction you're not going, etc.)

On the pocket query generator page, allow the user to name the generated files. I have to keep going back to the emails when I ask something like "Is 6520 my local found list or my local not found list?"

Another "extra bonus" addition would be to only have query files mailed when there are new/removed caches to/from the list. :D

Anyone else been thinking about some new features

Seriously, those sound like some great ideas, but I think it's a lot more important to migrate to an open format first, then think about improving the contents. Right now, Palm users are forced to use inferior software that doesn't even follow the basic guidelines set by Palm Inc. to ensure that software can play well together.

Jeremy has posted a preliminary version of what the GPX format would look like, if he ever gets around to writing it, and it does contain an element for "container," which would answer one of your wishes. He's also said that he might add elements for travel bugs, so that might very well answer some of your other wishes.

I tend to think the travel bug thing is both a good idea and a bad one, because travel bugs are by their nature very transient things. It's one thing to have a snapshot of the page for a cache that there's a chance won't be there a month from now, but it's another thing entirely to have a snapshot that includes a travel bug that probably won't be there a week from now.

warm.gif

Yeah, I forget about GPX (maybe because it's not used yet?). How long until GPX sees the light of day? Perhaps a couple changes to the "old way" wouldn't hurt?

Either way, I think my query generator suggestion(s) is/are still valid. icon_razz.gif