Educated Idiot

Heatherly30

I'm sure you hear this often, but I feel like a college educated idiot. The family and I tried this 2 years ago, no finds. Got to thinking about it yesterday and started researching again. Loaded the cgeo app on my android and went to the nearby park where there are SUPPOSEDLY 2 caches. What d'ya know, no luck. These were not caches that were suggested for first timers, so we will try those next.

I want to buy the app from this site, but I can't justify the cost if I'm not having any success. So, until I'm successful, is there anything else I should be doing differently? In terms of navigating, is the compass the best to use, radar, map?

I'm sure you hear this often, but I feel like a college educated idiot. The family and I tried this 2 years ago, no finds. Got to thinking about it yesterday and started researching again. Loaded the cgeo app on my android and went to the nearby park where there are SUPPOSEDLY 2 caches. What d'ya know, no luck. These were not caches that were suggested for first timers, so we will try those next.

I want to buy the app from this site, but I can't justify the cost if I'm not having any success. So, until I'm successful, is there anything else I should be doing differently? In terms of navigating, is the compass the best to use, radar, map?

First thing is cache selection. Many parks sport a nice selection of micros. Definitely not the best for a beginner. Stay with a difficulty rating of 1-1.5 (stars). Terrain should probably be below 2 (stars). Also nothing smaller than a small. Keep it small or regular. I really would suggest a regular because many times I find a small pill bottle, which is really a micro, rated as a small. Once you have your cache selected I find the compass the easiest way to navigate to the cache. Once your within 20 feet or so, put the phone away and start looking for out of the sorts things, piles of sticks, rocks, leaves, etc. Read any hints, perhaps even some past logs.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

The second one sounds good, but I think there may be issues with the first one. Some of the logs mention having to search for a while, so it might not be too appropriate for an inexperienced cacher trying to find their first one. Also, a couple of recent "finders" actually didn't find it, but instead left a replacement (called a "throw-down") where they thought it should be. Shame on them. The owner of this one should check on it to make sure there's only one container and it's in the intended spot.

Good luck with whatever cache you attempt!

We're far from being "experienced cachers" but like the others mentioned, try to find larger (and beginner) caches if possible.

In our area though there will be an (over)abundance of micro (especially nanos) which ended up being our first couple finds.

Also as someone mentioned reading through the "Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)" will help you know what to look for.

The second one is probably pretty good for a beginner, not too hard but not too easy either. The first not so much. It's pretty small, probably actually a micro, has been moved around by people other than the CO and even replaced by people other than the CO. Who knows what or where it is now? It might be worth a trip just for the location but I wouldn't count on finding that one.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

The accuracy mentioned above is about as good as it gets WITH A DEDICATED GPSR. If the OP is using a smartphone, the accuracy will probably be much worse.

Curious though...

Is c:geo still working? I thought it got nailed with the loss of maps.

Seems that whenever someone new has started a thread on not finding hides recently, the first paragraph says, "Loaded the c:geo app on my phone."

c:geo is not approved by Groundspeak.

Whenever Groundspeak update something on the site something usually breaks in c:geo.

The approved apps get a warning about Groundspeaks updates, and have any fix needed ready to apply to their app...

The accuracy mentioned above is about as good as it gets WITH A DEDICATED GPSR. If the OP is using a smartphone, the accuracy will probably be much worse.

A lot of people on these forums are still working with an obsolete assumption. Your blanket statement would have been valid a few years ago, but it's no longer completely accurate. As far as the iPhone side of things, since the iPhone 4 (June 2010), the GPS has been just as accurate as handheld GPSrs. I don't know what Androids are like, but I'd have to assume they're of a similar level of accuracy. Using a blanket statement about smartphones doesn't fly anymore. You need to know what model of smartphone someone's using before passing judgement.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner's device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

A lot of people on these forums are still working with an obsolete assumption. Your blanket statement would have been valid a few years ago, but it's no longer completely accurate. As far as the iPhone side of things, since the iPhone 4 (June 2010), the GPS has been just as accurate as handheld GPSrs. I don't know what Androids are like, but I'd have to assume they're of a similar level of accuracy. Using a blanket statement about smartphones doesn't fly anymore. You need to know what model of smartphone someone's using before passing judgement.

My original Droid and now my Droid Bionic have very accurate GPS capabilities. They are actually better than my 5 or 6 year old Garmin 76cs. They aren't anywhere near as rugged but they are quite accurate.

My original Droid and now my Droid Bionic have very accurate GPS capabilities. They are actually better than my 5 or 6 year old Garmin 76cs.

I'm gonna call BS on that. Just because the phone tells you that the accuracy is +- 2 meters and the GPS only tells you +- 3 meters, it doesn't make it true. Do a proper test and you'll see that the GPS still wins.

However, it's still true that a lot of smartphones are accurate enough for geocaching. But then again, a map and a compass can also be accurate enough for geocaching...

some of my hardcore geocacher friends dont even own a "real" garmin GPS, but uses smart phones.

ANY GPS is not better than the signal it gets, if there is plenty of signal,

out in the open, no trees, no large constructions, perfect weather,

sure even the cheapest phone will give you a few meter of good stable location.

The bigger the GPS antenna is, like look at GPS MAP 62, the weaker signals it can pick up,

and give you higher precition.

it is actually funny we also use Iphone and HTC desire, and some time benchmark them to the GPS MAP62,

Who is the winner of good gps position, actually changes from day to day,

I kind of feel the GPS MAP 62 got a slight advantage of better gps, but I can not prove it.

turn off WIFI, and bluetooth, and even put it in flight mode, now the phone do not activate any transmitters,

but you can still enable the gps receiver, this is what I hear gives best gps results in critical situations.

if your C:geo program seems like stable, like nice distance to cache readout, it goes always down, when you walk in

correct direction and so on, then the gps is fine.

now when you are at zero, it is important to know what you are looking for,

the bigger the better :-)

no one is an idiot, I must say I usually find things other people can't..

can you feel how it is to start a good cache day with 4 did not find in a row..

then I feel like an idiot too :-)

so I guess it is not always good skils and good equipment, it is also a bit luck..

but the better you get, and the more you know, the more lucky you get too :-)

Edited by OZ2CPU

Heatherly, it looks like I might not be too far from you, and I can suggest a few good caches. I'm an educated idiot for sure, too. I've found some micros but I would definitely not say I'm good at finding anything. Here's a short list of fun caches that aren't too hard to find. They're mostly larger caches in forested areas but not in hilly terrain and most of these have good little items to trade.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCVE1G

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCKVEQ

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1PBKJ

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1140R

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC395AQ

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC231ZP (really cool if you have kids)

Perhaps - it would be great for the children to start their own geocache and then they can track who finds it. I am setting one up with my 6 year old and she is soooo excited (me too). We found a sticker (a static cling) today at our camping store - maybe you have some of those near you? But like the others say, stick to the big ones for now - the nanos really are like a needle in a haystack! Good luck. :D

My original Droid and now my Droid Bionic have very accurate GPS capabilities. They are actually better than my 5 or 6 year old Garmin 76cs.

I'm gonna call BS on that. Just because the phone tells you that the accuracy is +- 2 meters and the GPS only tells you +- 3 meters, it doesn't make it true. Do a proper test and you'll see that the GPS still wins.

Not BS at all. Both may android and my most recent blackberry (the Style) now have GPSrs whose accuracy rivals my workhorse 60csx. I am not just talking about "reported" CEP estimations shown on screen. From time to time I have access to surveyors, or military p-code receivers. Based on my own cross-checks of reported fixes between my 2 GPSrs and my 2 smart phones against 1st order survey data and calibrated DGPS, I was surprised to find that the both phones were slightly closer to survey data than my 60csx most of the time. Also surprising, my Nuvi fared better against handheld GPSrs than I expected, it was on par about half the time and within .5 meters of my handhelds nealry all the rest of the time. And I have found that my android GPSr signal deteriorates under heavy canopy absolutely on par with my handhelds, not one bit faster. I have been away from the technical side of GPS engineering for many years now, but, it may be that an internet connected device has access to even more recent ephemeral data than the lag associated with in-band data my handheld gets? Dunno.

Sorry, we're drifting off topic here.

One piece of advice to the OP... Things change... a few years ago, a "containerless cache"... where someone takes a small log sheet, slips it inside of a ziploc or a tiny sleeve of duct tape and slips that into a crevice... A few years ago, those would have been 3.5 to 4.5 difficulty, because no one had seen them much around here. Now they are so common in my area that they're often 1.5 to 2.0 difficulty. My point being, there may be caches that you look for that are rated difficulty 1.5 to 2.5 that are pretty easy for experienced cachers, but may be extremely hard for a new cacher... And just as hard for a cacher coming back to the sport after a long absence.

In addition to the advice already given, I'd say pick a cache, and then read through the previous logs. Make sure there are no comments about it being tricky, or inaccurate coords, or recent DNFs. Also, look for cache listing where there are pictures of the actual container, that's a great head start for a novice.

Edited by Sky King 36

I don't think this thread was started to see which is more accurate, the GPS or the smartphone. This is just one reason I don't frequent this forum much anymore, too many "keyboard warriors". Stick to the question the person is asking for help with or keep your keyboard quiet.

I don't think this thread was started to see which is more accurate, the GPS or the smartphone. This is just one reason I don't frequent this forum much anymore, too many "keyboard warriors". Stick to the question the person is asking for help with or keep your keyboard quiet.

Discussions about whether the accuracy of their smartphone is contributing to their challenges is absolutely germane to the broad appeal for guidance, rather than specific question posed by the OP. I don't meant to sound pugilistic, but the only post in this thread that is entirely, 100% off topic, is yours cool.gif. Oh carp, and now, mine!

Discussions about whether the accuracy of their smartphone is contributing to their challenges is absolutely germane to the broad appeal for guidance, rather than specific question posed by the OP. I don't meant to sound pugilistic, but the only post in this thread that is entirely, 100% off topic, is yours cool.gif. Oh carp, and now, mine!

"Pugilistic", now there's a funny word! I agree with you though. Telling a beginner that he/she should get a "real" gps has become a knee jerk response that no longer necessarily applies. I used to be in that crowd. Now I have used both a BB with Trimble Geocache Navigator and iphone 4s with the official geocaching app head to head against my trusty explorist 500 and the accuracy is almost identical. c:geo might be a different story.

To the OP, if you can't afford to risk 10 bucks on an app, you don't have time to be playing games in the park anyway.