How about some GCxxxx/TBxxxx magic?

mph6563

Would it be possible, in cache descriptions, log entries, and the forums, to look for GCxxxx and TBxxxx (where xxxx = hex number up to four digits) and automatically make an appropriate link? Much like things that look like URLs are automatically turned into links?

Well, at least you can do a full hyperlink in the cache description or in the forums... but not the shorthand method suggested above (which is a fine idea). The cache logs are a different matter.

Up until the September cache page redesign, we could use html on cache pages and it was fairly easy to link together a series of logs to tell a story of a big cache adventure. I spent quite some time linking together my logs forwards and backwards for a 20-cache blitz through eight counties on Labor Day weekend. Jamie Z spent many more hours weaving the masterful PaterQuest logs together.

Now all we have is a bunch of greater than and less than signs and other html code. Sadly, I recently edited each of my linked logs to clean them up.

If there was a simple UBBCode that can be taught to a non-techie, so that we could link even just to other cache pages, that would be WONDERFUL. My understanding from another thread on this subject is that the issue is on Jeremy's to-do list. I'm content to be patient. It'd be a nice feature to restore, but not the end of the world. Also remember that what's possible to do easily in the geocaching.com pages may not be achievable in the forums, and vice versa. But what do I know about coding, eh?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Lep, could you post a link to one of your cleaned up logs? First I'd like to see what you did to fix 'em up, since as you mention, I have a series of logs that appear as a bunch of symbols, and none of my links work. But also, I'd like to read about your adventure!

Jamie

Jamie, thanks for asking about my trip, called "The Leprechauns' Labor Day Cache-a-thon", which had the 20 linked logs. I didn't "fix" them; rather, I deleted all the carefully formatted HTML links, boldfacing and other bells and whistles.

While talking about my trip might be considered off-topic, it DOES serve to illustrate the merits of the suggestion. It is much more fun to read about a series of cache finds over a weekend than to read random logs.

Here are links to some highlights from my trip, without the lovely html:

First Cache, "Best for Last"

Travel Bug Party, at "BCez"

Cool virtual, "Letter Perfect Crossing"

Favorite funny log, from "Homestead"

My first true "Not Found" log, at "Make a Day of It"

My favorite microcache of all time, "The Vertigo"

The biggest climb and best view, at "Witch's Cache"

The last stop, McDonough Treasure

This was a great trip, covering 600 miles in 9 counties and three states in just two days of caching. A lot of work for 19 finds and one not-found! I learned that caching in a low-density area is even more fun and relaxing than driving from park to park in an urban area.

Sure would like to link those logs.....

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Sure would like to link those logs.....

I link logs of day long excursions, just post the full URL and it will get turned into a link. Here's the first in a chain of posts here:

A Day in Briones Regional Park

From now on, I need to remember to include the "&log=y" in the url so my posts will always link correctly. I didn't in this series, so some of the more active caches have scrolled my logs off the main page.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

just post the full URL and it will get turned into a link.

You are right, this will work, and thanks for pointing out the option. My complaint was that I can no longer do a text-based hyperlink like the example in the posting above. Such a link is cleaner than pasting full URL's into my logs. I was unclear in my prior posts.

The more I think about it, I should spend less time linking and more time caching.