UV Paint

MrCJDL

Hi All,

Wondering if any of you fountains of knowledge would know where to get clear UV Paint that is suitable for outdoor use and can be purchased or shipped to UK ?

Alternatively, clear UV paint, that I can paif over with clear varnish without affecting the UV properties.

Anyone got any ideas ? The googlebot was most helpful in finding UV paint, but they all seem to be for indoor use, can't be shipped here, dry white / otherwise not clear, or wouldn't take well to being smothered in varnish :(

Planning a 5/5 on a rock face, that can only be found at night :ph34r:

Thanks for any thoughts / ideas.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by cjdl

I've been toying with doing something with UV...but after googling it seems that most are indoor. The problem seems to be sunlight. :(

If used outdoors, they must not be exposed to direct sunlight, as this may damage the paint.

Although these say they can be used outdoor...but again not in direct sunlight :(

Edited by eusty

I've been toying with doing something with UV...but after googling it seems that most are indoor. The problem seems to be sunlight. :(

If used outdoors, they must not be exposed to direct sunlight, as this may damage the paint.

Although these say they can be used outdoor...but again not in direct sunlight :(

That actually might do the trick !! The location I'm planning on putting it in is in a small crack / cave half way up a 150m high rock face, facing north, so should be out of sunlight most of the time (it's in Scotland anyway, what's sunlight ?), and fairly sheltered from the weather !

I have used UV paint on a cache, but it is placed in a pitch-black cave. To make it "brighter" in the presence of muddy handprints and however the local conditions might affect it, I gave it two coats. I thought about protecting with varnish but hoped the two coats would suffice as I didn't want to reduce any UV effect or introduce a tell-tale shiny surface (unsure whether either effect would have occurred). Even though the paint is supposed to be "invisible" to the naked eye, it isn't really, and the milky opaqueness increases with multiple coats. In my own case though, it works just fine.

Have you considered painting the inside of a clear lock'n'lock rather than having to use varnish?

The problem with that is that the clear box would have to be UV transparent or it wouldn't work - same problem with the varnish.

And I was assuming the desired effect (at-night and UV-required) is to present a vista where the cache cannot easily be seen (eg lots of rocks in a crag) until UV is used (one of them lights up). I suspect a plastic lock-n-lock that has to be visible enough to light up under UV might be more visible in daylight or under non-UV torchlight (by nature of its tupperwareness), thereby reducing the desired effect.

I had considered the lock n lock ideea, but abanazar's response pretty much exactly sums up my thoughts on that. I plan this to be a 5/5, lots of rocks in a crag, and one of them will GLOW brightly at night, under UV light :D

I'm not sure if the terrain will be 10 at night though ? :-/

Seems like a great idea [if it was to work]

As a garden designer I had considered using UV paint combined with LV direct lighting as a way of illuminating decorative trees and shrubs. Have come across the same problem of UV stability.

You may consider an alternative such as reflective [hi vis] type material which you can paint on ?

Please be aware that if you are using any such methods that it is well away from any recognised rock climbing area.

Not only do you stand the risk of some muscular Scottish climber pulling you off the crag and tearing you to pieces limb by limb, but Geocaching will feature negatively in one of the largest forum sites in the UK [uK climbing]

You could also check with this site the wherabouts of climbing crags / routes.

Good luck !